The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2020, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Default What guitar am I looking for?

I’m currently playing a D-18, 000-18 and a Taylor 324e. I’m looking for something that can scratch a few itches.

Something smaller than dreadnought, but that being said I love dreads. I want a good balance of articulation for finger picking, but can hold its own with strumming. I tend to be a bit heavy handed in my strumming.

I tend to favor mahogany back and sides but it’s not required.

I tend to shy away from overly bright guitars (tonally, not visually &#128521

I’m really wanting a short scale like the 000.

Prefer a non-cutaway. Just personal choice.

Budget would be $2k or less.

I’m sure I’m missing a million clues, but any suggestions are appreciated. I’ve been eyeing the Gibson LG-2 and the J-45 as a starting point .
Old 05-23-2020, 12:54 PM

Martin CEO-7 would likely fit the bill. Used can be had within your budget.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:59 PM

maybe a 12 fret dread - I cant put mine down .
slot head of course .
Old 05-23-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriso77 View Post
I’m currently playing a D-18, 000-18 and a Taylor 324e. I’m looking for something that can scratch a few itches.

Something smaller than dreadnought, but that being said I love dreads. I want a good balance of articulation for finger picking, but can hold its own with strumming. I tend to be a bit heavy handed in my strumming.

Budget would be $2k or less.

I’m sure I’m missing a million clues, but any suggestions are appreciated. I’ve been eyeing the Gibson LG-2 and the J-45 as a starting point .
Both of those are fine guitars, and would likely do what you want them to do (the LG-2 maybe not so much for heavy strumming). But I have a question - why do you want something smaller than a dreadnought? Does it have to BE smaller or does it have to FEEL smaller? I ask because I have played several jumbo or mini-jumbo guitars that have a depth and richness of tone similar to dreadnoughts, but are much more comfortable to play because of their shape. My Northwood M70-MJ is a great example. I bought it used in perfect condition about two years ago for well under your budget.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Iris OG is pretty much exactly what you’re describing and is a more versatile version of the Gibson it’s loosely based after. Would complement your other instruments nicely and is a tremendous value for a high end small shop luthier guitar. Right at the top of your price range new and worth every cent.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:35 PM

Slope shoulder J45 / Southern Jumbo type machine.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriso77 View Post
...Something smaller than dreadnought...I want a good balance of articulation for finger picking, but can hold its own with strumming. I tend to be a bit heavy handed in my strumming.

I tend to favor mahogany back and sides...

I tend to shy away from overly bright guitars...

Prefer a non-cutaway. Just personal choice...

Budget would be $2k or less...
Martin 000-15SM - heavy-handed only means you'll break it in right...
Old 05-23-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Martin 000-15SM - heavy-handed only means you'll break it in right...
Another great idea! I need to try one of these one day.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:28 PM

All I can think of is a used HD-35 dread. I like the biggest sounding Martins.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:28 PM

My suggestion probably won't be popular here, and it is well under your budget. I recently picked up an Eastman E2-OM and I am very happy with it. The cedar top brings something else to the party, and it sounds great.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmacd View Post
Both of those are fine guitars, and would likely do what you want them to do (the LG-2 maybe not so much for heavy strumming). But I have a question - why do you want something smaller than a dreadnought? Does it have to BE smaller or does it have to FEEL smaller? I ask because I have played several jumbo or mini-jumbo guitars that have a depth and richness of tone similar to dreadnoughts, but are much more comfortable to play because of their shape. My Northwood M70-MJ is a great example. I bought it used in perfect condition about two years ago for well under your budget.
Good question and solid assessment. I think I’m looking for the combination of feel, comfort and obviously tone. A jumbo or mini jumbo would be worth a look.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Iris OG is pretty much exactly what you’re describing and is a more versatile version of the Gibson it’s loosely based after. Would complement your other instruments nicely and is a tremendous value for a high end small shop luthier guitar. Right at the top of your price range new and worth every cent.

Wow. What a beautiful guitar .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion