The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-05-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

I really haven’t read much about this period of time in Ireland and the UK and found this to be a terrific book. It is very well written and appears to be well researched. It’s a very sad and complicated story.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
American Rust, Philipp Meyer and Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy.

I find myself addicted to American authors, with Steinbeck and Annie Proulx among my favourites.

Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury was one of the most astonishing books I've ever read... in fact I re-read it immediately because I wasn't sure I got it the first time. Great if you like sentences that last for a whole page... challenging!!!
After I read Blood Meridian I couldn't stop thinking about it for two weeks.
I also am a fan of Steinbeck, East of Eden is great.
I have just read a couple of A.B.Guthrie novels, The Big Sky, and The Way West. Similar to Blood Meridian, just less violence. Very well written.
It seems I am attracted to books that involve long journeys.
Epiphone Dot
Old 07-13-2019, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

I’m at the shore this week, so lots of reading. Here are 2 more very good books by 2 interesting authors, writing about relevant topics.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:29 AM

It’s pretty interesting. The son of an antique book seller chooses (as in that guild’s tradition) a book that becomes his responsibility to protect. Very different from what I usually read, besides being in Spanish. 😀
Old 07-13-2019, 12:50 PM

14 CFR § 119.8 - Safety Management Systems for 14 CFR Part 121 Air carriers.

This is the only type of reading I do these days. I left the classics and other recreational reading days behind me years ago. Now I'm all about procedural guides, compliance guidelines, technical manuals and the like. That includes work and home.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Just finished "Killing Kennedy". Now into this:

For those of you interested in dogs, I can recommend this:

CK
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 07-13-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
Just finished "Killing Kennedy". Now into this:

For those of you interested in dogs, I can recommend this:

CK
I didn’t read a Killing Kennedy, but I did read the other 2 & thought they were excellent.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:15 PM

After watching the movie "American Assassin" I decided to check out the series of books by Vince Flynn. The first book is what the movie is based on, but has been modified extensively to suit today's themes.
While the motivation of the lead character is still to kill as many terrorists as he can after losing his girlfriend is an attack, instead of a beach resort, his girlfriend died in the Lockerbie terrorist bombing.
I'm on to the seconds bui'm in the series, "Kill Shot". Excellent reading so far!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 07-16-2019, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

I enjoy these two as well as "Killing Lincoln" by Bill O'Reilly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300.jpg (43.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 301.jpg (31.5 KB, 88 views)
Old 07-16-2019, 08:18 AM

So far this Summer:
Ursula K. Leguin- Earth Sea Trilogy
Frank Herbert- Dune
Percival Everett- Erasure
Another one a blazed through by a British author, can’t remember the name
Margaret Atwood- Oryx and Crake. Almost done on CD version, I ordered the entire Maddaddam trilogy. It arrives Thursday.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:23 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I picked up this one almost by accident. Authors send my company their new books, hoping to get an interview on one of our TV shows. The producers will read a book, make a "yea or nay" decision, and relegate the books to a "come and get it" shelf. I keep my eye on the shelves for something interesting and I scored this one two days ago:

It is the story of a Douglas SBD Dauntless dive bomber driver who fought in the Battle of Midway and, what's more, scored hits on three IJN ships including the aircraft carriers Kaga and Hiryu. For his actions in this operation he was awarded the Navy Cross. In this, his memoir, he takes you through life, love, and the business of training to and eventually becoming a dive bomber pilot and joining the the fleet. There's a lot of really good in-depth info here and a well-related tale as well. For instance, did you know that there were thirteen steps to go through before you took the Dauntless into its bomb-delivery dive and that one of those steps included spraying ephedrine int your nostrils tp keep from blowing out your eardrums as you descended from 20,000 ft to 1000 ft? I never knew that before.

The books was written by a man and wife team. He is a n author and she is Education Director at the Hampton Roads Naval Museum. The book was edited by James Hornfischer, author of Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors. The book is credited as an autobiography by the subject, Jack "Dusty" Kleiss because he kept exaustive notes on his wartime career and then in his last years began collecting and organizing information on the Battle of Midway in order to memorialize the efforts of his teammates. He actually wrote a short booklet about his sqadron's activity in the Battle. The co-authors of the present work came across Kleiss as they did research related to the Hampton Roads Naval Museum. When they saw his work and became his friend, they realized they had a treasure on their hands and to help him develop his story into a book in order to preserve his first-hand experience and research. The result was five years of sitting at his dinner table being regaled with typical pilot's stories, hours of interviews, and soul searching discussions regarding what was going on in his head and heart at the time.

I got through the 451 page book (including exhaustive appendices) in three evenings of reading. His vivid accounts of shipboard life, squadron life, and the pain of the loss of comrades of this humble, witty pilot drew the narrative along rapidly.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-17-2019, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

I'm 2/3rds of the way through Dan Winslow's excellent trilogy about the drug war in Mexico, and decided to take a break from it.

So I picked up one of my all-time favorites once again, James Michener's "Centennial."

I've lived in Colorado for 2 years now, and wonder if I will see the book any differently now.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Two very interesting and timely books. Wylie’s book is currently ranked #1 in National & International Security Books on Amazon. And Ed Stack is simply an interesting and admirable guy.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:04 PM

Old 10-17-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

I am currently reading Stephen King's "The Institute"71ehSGaOG7L.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic