The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-23-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Jim Irsay, the Indianapolis Colts' owner, bought both the Black Strat and the Martin. Wow.
As soon as I saw the subject line of this thread I kind of figured that those guitars would be headed here to Indianapolis. Jim Irsay has been buying up iconic guitars for a while now.

Meet Jim Irsay, the Man Who Bought Les Paul's Black Beauty

He own guitars from Jerry Garcia, George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Prince and others.

He also owns the piano that John Lennon used on the Sgt. Pepper's album and Ringo's drum kit.

He owns the original Jack Kerouac On The Road scroll.

The good thing about Irsay owning these is that he plays them and allows them to be played by others. In 2016 he let Warren Haynes play Garcia's Tiger:

Jerry Garcia’s Famed ‘Tiger’ Guitar to Return to Stage

Last edited by matt986; 06-23-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:35 AM

I wonder if the acoustic guitarists here are aware of the enormous affection for the Comfortably Numb leads in the electric guitar community. Go to YouTube sometime and search "Comfortably Numb solo". There are literally hundreds of videos of people playing the leads from that tune. It's particularly popular among teenage girls, for some reason, but there's also a video of an Australian 9-year-old playing it blindfolded.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:23 PM

What a collector. Great that he plays them too. I bet if Jimmy Page ever auctions his Les Pauls or double neck Irsay will be ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt986 View Post
As soon as I saw the subject line of this thread I kind of figured that those guitars would be headed here to Indianapolis. Jim Irsay has been buying up iconic guitars for a while now.

Meet Jim Irsay, the Man Who Bought Les Paul's Black Beauty

He own guitars from Jerry Garcia, George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Prince and others.

He also owns the piano that John Lennon used on the Sgt. Pepper's album and Ringo's drum kit.

He owns the original Jack Kerouac On The Road scroll.

The good thing about Irsay owning these is that he plays them and allows them to be played by others. In 2016 he let Warren Haynes play Garcia's Tiger:

Jerry Garcia’s Famed ‘Tiger’ Guitar to Return to Stage

Old 06-26-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I wonder if the acoustic guitarists here are aware of the enormous affection for the Comfortably Numb leads in the electric guitar community. Go to YouTube sometime and search "Comfortably Numb solo". There are literally hundreds of videos of people playing the leads from that tune. It's particularly popular among teenage girls, for some reason, but there's also a video of an Australian 9-year-old playing it blindfolded.
The solo for Comfortably Numb is probably my favorite solo of all time. It's so tasteful.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 06-27-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
The solo for Comfortably Numb is probably my favorite solo of all time. It's so tasteful.
I agree completely. That solo represents everything I loved about playing electric guitar -- the raw power of the pentatonic scale, the heartache evoked by a well bent string, and the beauty of proper vibrato. I want Comfortably Numb to be the song track to the last 6 minutes of my life and that solo to carry me away as I drift off into the beyond.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic