The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-18-2019, 02:42 AM

Default Wide nut electric guitar ?? I know!! Sinful..

Hi people's.. I am looking to try electric for the first time but thin neck and nuts are no good to me . I am fully aware that it's a different beast but acdc are calling me !! Lol
Please I am in the UK so am looking for a wide nut here not any US models.
Anyone tried any that works for them??
PS.. 8 years Finger picking acoustic is all I have.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:01 AM

Find a bargain-basement beater Strat and set it up with one of these:

https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks...armothPro.aspx
Old 05-18-2019, 10:55 AM

Someday I'm going do the same Steve recommends to you, and so would recommend you consider the same idea. I tend to not play electric like I play acoustic or the narrower widths on electric guitar than I prefer on acoustics would bother me more than they do.

I did set up a Squier Telecaster with a Warmoth Gibson scale and back of the neck carve neck. It's a meatier neck profile than the neck that Squier came with, though I didn't go with the extra width.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-18-2019, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

I like and own:
  • A 660 series Rickenbacker. 1.75" nut width.
  • The Gretsch '59 Gent reissue
(G6122T-59). It has a 1.75" nut width, 25.5" scale, small frets and flat radius.

1.75" nut widths on electrics are rare but a warmoth, USACG bolt on partscaster could be a great project.
I have built 3. One came out amazing. It has a 1" maple neck with a wider 1.725" nut.
Beware partscasters can be a money pit, looking resale..
Although you can circumvent that with buying other, loaded bodies.
Then order a $300 plus, custom neck.
It can be really nice to spec in your own feel.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:57 PM

vintage Icon Stratocaster have 1 11/16th nuts with Wilkinson parts, the telecasters sound great too

1933 Gibson L-00
2007 Taylor 110
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2018 Eastman E10M
1977 Sigma DR-9
2012 Republic Miniolian
2016 Recording King ROS-G9M
Old 05-18-2019, 06:33 PM

B&G (if Israel is close enough for you) is making wide neck 24-3/4" scale electrics with a constant 12" board radius. I just built a similar guitar and like the feel a lot. It feels like a full size acoustic guitar neck but plays super easy due to the shorter scale. I know they have their guitars for sale at various UK retailers.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
B&G (if Israel is close enough for you) is making wide neck 24-3/4" scale electrics with a constant 12" board radius. I just built a similar guitar and like the feel a lot. It feels like a full size acoustic guitar neck but plays super easy due to the shorter scale. I know they have their guitars for sale at various UK retailers.
B&G has dealers in UK.

guitarbuild.co.uk will make a strat or tele neck with 44.45 mm nut width. I didn't check if they have any in stock.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-19-2019, 10:27 AM

rondomusic.com imports AGILE LP-styled (copies) guitars (S.Korea) that are available in a "wide" (1 3/4") neck for $350-450 USD - for example:
https://www.rondomusic.com/al3010ses...urstwide1.html

I have one in their 3100 series and consider it an excellent guitar. Great way to try to the wider neck (ebony!) for lower cost. Not sure if Kurt ships to the UK, but it's easy to ask him.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:59 PM

As tippy5 mentioned, my first thought was a Rickenbacker 660.

The two I had (no longer play electrics) were an '04 660/12 (MG) and a 75th Anniversary 660 (DCM).

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 06-02-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:47 PM

MIA Peavey Predator and Reactor (strat and tele) have 1 3/4th nut, 12 inch radius and maple board/neck. Found both of mine for $89 and $150 and thus diy'd upgraded PU's, locking tuners, and blocked the strat. Love them they are my #1's and sold off all other gits. Btw also had a Carvin DC 135 (hardtail, neck through hss strat with SS frets and ebony board...it also had 1 3/4 nut...very fine git...but wasn't getting played...sold it to fund other gas.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Find a bargain-basement beater Strat and set it up with one of these:

https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks...armothPro.aspx
I did this with my Telecaster. I ordered the neck spec'd the way I wanted it. Wider, compound radius, big frets, ebony fingerboard.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:34 AM

You can order a 1 3/4 neck with any custom G&L. However, the Superhawk Deluxe in the G&L Tribute series already comes with one for a lot less then their made in USA line.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravanman View Post
Hi people's.. I am looking to try electric for the first time but thin neck and nuts are no good to me . I am fully aware that it's a different beast but acdc are calling me !! Lol
Please I am in the UK so am looking for a wide nut here not any US models.
Anyone tried any that works for them??
PS.. 8 years Finger picking acoustic is all I have.
A sin? Pshaw.

It's a sin that the electric guitar manufacturers DON'T pay attention to people with larger hands, so ignore them.

I built a Tele style electric that ended up being outstanding for all my intents and purposes. I bought an Ash Warmoth chambered Tele body with a nice quilted maple top, a boatneck 1.75" neck with a rosewood board and 6100 SS wire, and had Pete Biltoft wind a pair of CC pickups for it. Plus I had Ilitch Chiliachki custom fabricate one of his amazing hum cancelling systems for it.
[IMG][/IMG]

It's strung with D'Addario EXL145 with .017 & .013 plains. It plays just like my acoustics, but lacking a little 'depth' under my arm.

It's all out there. Go build one!

HE
Old 05-22-2019, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
A sin? Pshaw.

It's a sin that the electric guitar manufacturers DON'T pay attention to people with larger hands, so ignore them.

I built a Tele style electric that ended up being outstanding for all my intents and purposes. I bought an Ash Warmoth chambered Tele body with a nice quilted maple top, a boatneck 1.75" neck with a rosewood board and 6100 SS wire, and had Pete Biltoft wind a pair of CC pickups for it. Plus I had Ilitch Chiliachki custom fabricate one of his amazing hum cancelling systems for it.

It's strung with D'Addario EXL145 with .017 & .013 plains. It plays just like my acoustics, but lacking a little 'depth' under my arm.

It's all out there. Go build one!

HE
Now this may be the kind of setup I've been seeking for years! I've wanted an electric that feels much the same as my acoustic, for silent (or headphone) practice. I'm not even looking for any specific electric sound, just something that fits my hand and doesn't string & pitch bend all over the place.

Heck, I wouldn't even need pickups & electronics except to be sure I was fretting cleanly.

Hmmm, wonder if they have one of those wide necks that would fit my existing ESP, then all I'd need is strings.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579

Last edited by kkrell; 05-22-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrell View Post
Now this may be the kind of setup I've been seeking for years! I've wanted an electric that feels much the same as my acoustic, for silent (or headphone) practice. I'm not even looking for any specific electric sound, just something that fits my hand and doesn't string & pitch bend all over the place.

Heck, I wouldn't even need pickups & electronics except to be sure I was fretting cleanly.

Hmmm, wonder if they have one of those wide necks that would fit my existing ESP, then all I'd need is strings.
I’ll bet the ESP is very close to standard Fender neck pocket. They make Tele and Strat necks, straight end & curved, etc. Spend a little time on their site and look at the listings for ‘In Stock’. That’s where the best values are located.

They can answer your questions regarding an ESP retrofit.

Best,
Howard Emerson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars