The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-26-2016, 02:44 PM

Default Rainsong P12 vs Emerald X7-OS

Has anyone played the P12 side by side with the X7?

Much as I love my Larrivee Parlor I am getting sick and tired of refilling the humidifers every week.

The P12 is just about the same size as the Larrivee but with a slightly longer scale, the X7 is shorter in the body, but has the same scale length.

Probably leaning towards the Emerald since I'm a sucker for an offset soundhole, plus the strong US dollar makes the Emerald a lot more affordable than the Rainsong these days.

The only CF guitars I have ever actually played are my Rainsong Shorty and WS3000. Nobody in AZ seems to carry CF guitars of any make.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-26-2016, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

If I were buying another CF and considering a RainSong, Ted at LA Guitar Sales would be where I'd be buying. Last time I was in the Sam Ash store in Glendale, AZ, they did have RainSongs in stock, including the Parlor.

Not sure how they (RainSong) did it, but the P12 sounds very close to the Shorty... and I do like the sound and feel of the Shorty.

Good luck with the search.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:54 PM

Ditto what Captain Jim said. Last time I was in the Sam Ash store closest to Sun City, they had several Rainsongs, including two parlors (one black, one green). That was last September, but they have had Rainsongs on hand each time I've gone in over the last five years. Worth at least a call.....

Edit: Now that I'm on a computer, a dealer locator search showed that Sam Ash store to be in Glendale, at the corner of West Cactus and 43rd. It appears to be their only store in AZ.

Last edited by Earl49; 03-26-2016 at 04:27 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-26-2016, 04:33 PM

One would think AZ would be a Hotspot for graphite guitars
Old 03-26-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post

Edit: Now that I'm on a computer, a dealer locator search showed that Sam Ash store to be in Glendale, at the corner of West Cactus and 43rd. It appears to be their only store in AZ.
Yeah, I'm not sure how they have managed to stay open, but they are still there. All the other AZ stores closed years ago. Have to find an excuse to drive to that end of town.

CF guitars plus 5% AZ humidity = awesome. Even my WS3000 stays in tune, and 12-strings are notorious for "spend half your time tuning, the other half playing out of tune"

Last edited by AZLiberty; 03-26-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
One would think AZ would be a Hotspot for graphite guitars
You would sure think so. When I first considered a CF guitar, I went into a Guitar Center in Arizona, and asked about "a RainSong carbon fiber guitar."

I am not making this up: the kid there said, "A what? Carbon what?" I explained it to him; he went to the computer to see if "any other stores in the Phoenix area had one of these." Then, he asked me, "How do you spell 'RainSong'?"

When I have taken solid wood guitars to AZ, the case humidifiers go through a LOT of water. My RainSong Shorty has gone from the humidity of the Tropical Tip of Texas to Phoenix; back to Texas, up to the San Juan Islands in the Pacific Northwest, and back. Several times now. Traveling by RV and/or boat. The RainSong seems real happy with that.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:02 AM

The strong $ is a great boost right now, bought a Canadian hand built curly maple and curly walnut pistol case for what amounted to a 30% discount given the $ right now.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-27-2016, 10:14 AM

It might come down to what's most important to you.
Of course it'd be best to try both, but that's difficult.

x7 positives (in my opinion/experience)
• The x7 is smaller, thinner, a bit more portable/travel ready.
• I think it has a slight edge in playability, though 24" is a darn short scale length...though longer than many travel guitars. I'd still call the x7 a travel guitar in scale and size.
• Stainless steel frets are a plus, nice to know it's as low-maintenance as you can get.
• The gig bag is durable and light. Fits better than the Parlor case, and is lighter.
• The build feels a bit more solid than the Rainsong (which is built lighter, and the top and sides flex with pretty light touch)...though I don't have real durability concerns with the Rainsong, just noting how they feel different. I do appreciate the one-piece design, especially for a durable travel guitar.
• Forearm bevel adds comfort, Emerald's design and sculpting work is very impressive.

x7 possible cons
• The x7 has a non-traditional tone...immediate, open, hard. Not warm. (I might attribute that to the large soundhole, the smaller, radiused, and relatively-thicker top, which seems about as thick as a wood top, but braceles.).
• Non-traditional looks...the Parlor blends in a bit more, looks more like a capital-G guitar.
• I did feel like I needed a Neck-Up (personal taste) with the x7, as I'm tall and have to lean over it. The Parlor sits nicer on my lap.

Parlor positives
• Tone. Excellent, warm, articulate tone. Best tone I've heard from a CF guitar this size...probably partly thanks to the deep body (and top design).
• It makes a great travel guitar, but isn't spec'd as small/short as a travel guitar.
• The body is deeper than many full-sized guitars, and that delivers depth, bass, and richness that most guitars this size/shape don't have. The claim, "sounds bigger than it's size," is often made about CF guitars, but that's usually debatable/subjective. Not here.
• It's lightly, thinly built (including what's effectively a relief-routed double top), and has the resonance and responsiveness to show for it.

Parlor possible cons
• Too big for a travel guitar? I don't think so, but you might be looking for something smaller.
• Factory electronics are not elegant. Mine had a ridiculous amount of extra, bundled-up wires inside. They rattled. Two of the wire retainers also detached, so more wire banging. The preamp housing and mount vibrated at many various frequencies, no matter whether I tightened screws. Awful.
• Standard frets means eventual fret replacement maintenance.
• The Parlor case's length is spec'd for the P14, so it's a bit longer than needed. Also, a heavy case for a light, intimate, travel ready, durable guitar? A nice fitting bag would be better.
• As I mentioned, the top and sides flex with a fairly light push...that's not a problem for me, and the light build is probably responsible for the great tone. But it's unusual, so it's worth noting. Also, I've noticed with mine (as others have noted on AGF) that the soundhole has a slight distortion noticeable in light/glare...part higher, part lower, like the top is flexed from the strings. Again, not a concern, but an oddity worth mentioning.
• The neck is full. I like it alright, adapted fine, but it's worth mentioning. It's full and you'll notice that.
• Factory set up was uncomfortably high, and higher than my RS dread. It needed some major saddle shaving and truss rod tweaking. Neck angle is good, though.

Last edited by tommyld; 03-27-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:50 AM
Anticipation Junkie

tommy, I have no skin in this particular game, but I just wanted to compliment you on an excellent comparative assessment.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:09 PM

Nicely done comparison, Tommy.
I've never played or held an Emerald of any variety, but hear good things about them around these parts. (The Chimaera double-neck is oddly appealing, either as a 6 / 12 combo or with two six string necks for different tunings).
I have played all of the Rainsong sizes over the years and found them all to be very nice guitars.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:56 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Nicely done comparison, Tommy.
I've never played or held an Emerald of any variety, but hear good things about them around these parts. (The Chimaera double-neck is oddly appealing, either as a 6 / 12 combo or with two six string necks for different tunings).
I have played all of the Rainsong sizes over the years and found them all to be very nice guitars.
To my taste, the Chimaera is simply appealing. I have a 6/12 and I really like all the things two necks offers in a surprisingly ergonomic, easy to play package. There are better sounding guitars out there and the Chimaera holds its own in that regard, but there is no guitar as fun to play and try to master, especially when playing a given song while going between both necks.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:50 PM

I've played the Rainsong, and I own an Emerald X7-OS. I like them both, but I don't really consider them that comparable. If you don't mind the 2X price of the Rainsong, and the larger size, then you will be much happier with the tone of the P12 (though you might need to get a good setup first).
Old 03-27-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
I've played the Rainsong, and I own an Emerald X7-OS. I like them both, but I don't really consider them that comparable. If you don't mind the 2X price of the Rainsong, and the larger size, then you will be much happier with the tone of the P12 (though you might need to get a good setup first).
I agree with that assessment!
Old 03-27-2016, 05:11 PM
Guest 928

Me too.

Two different instruments. I would be more inclined to look at the P12 relative to an emerald X10 with whatever scale you prefer. The difference would be the wait time. And then there is also the OX,. And in the travel direction, the new Journey. Decisions, decisions.

You may not be lost, but I'll bet you are plenty bewildered.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:50 PM

The Rainsong is a more or less known quantity, since I have two already.

I'm thinking the Parlor isn't that much smaller than my Shorty, since the Shorty is fairly shallow in the body, even if it is otherwise the size of an OM.

I've always used my (Larrivee) Parlor as a throw in the car when you need a guitar, car camping, and play at the computer type of instrument. When I play out I usually take a bigger guitar, either the Shorty or my Larrivee OM-03R.

I think the big draw of the X7 is it's only a bit smaller than the Parlor (either one) and it's literally half the price right now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber