The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-18-2019, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Default Pierre Bensusan's Truefire lesson

Is it just me or is he talking waaaaay to much for a guitar lesson. Some of the content is also far from what I thought this dadgad lesson would be about. Oh well.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:33 AM

Barry - just checked it out and yes, way too much talking. But hey, not every performer is a great teacher. Not every teacher fits your learning style. 11:18 minutes of teaching time devoted to tuning in DADGAD (And I'm not sure that I'm ready to put the tuning fork in my mouth)!

Since Jeff Sheetz took over Truefire's 'curriculum', it looks like they are trying to be all things to all people. More a shotgun blast of a lesson than a rifle shot. This is as opposed to say, Toby Walker's style, where he takes a basic concept (or tune) and builds layers upon it. I find the Truefire approach exhausting to work with as it is mostly technique based. I'd rather have a song-based lesson that teaches me techniques than vice-versa.

It's interesting to compare lessons and videos across instructors and sites. Nothing online has surpassed a good 'in-person' lesson, but sometimes it comes close. Right now, I am going back over some of Toby's older lessons to work on technique and I am playing with Tim Spark's "Fingerstyle Boogie Woogie" (Truefire).

It's a good day to have off after a wicked week.

best,

Rick

PS - One comment that Bensusan makes is, "Tuning is the first step to get you into "listening mode." That's a great observation, because IMO, getting into the zone (listening mode) is the key to making progress. I once had a live lesson with Martin Grosswendt where he instilled this into me and boy, what a difference that made. It's prestty hard to turn that into an interesting lesson, because it's all about being a part of the music and losing yourself to it.

Last edited by srick; 02-18-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Hard to answer that question when no sort of link provided.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-18-2019, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

I have not seen it, but I have studied a bit privately with Pierre in the past. Yes he does talk a lot. Never said anything to me however that, imo was not very true and very valuable.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 02-19-2019, 03:37 PM

He warned you right off the bat when he said. "I will have many opportunities to speak in length about it."

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources
Old 02-20-2019, 09:35 AM

I think a lot of it depends on the instructor on True fire.

Muriel Anderson & Frank Vignola also talk, but it's always about the technique or the song chord progression.

But my #1 rant has to be the videos that are intended for intermediate and above players which spend the 1st 5 minutes going over tuning the guitar.

If you can't figure out how to tune your guitar to the instruction, you're already in over your head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Barry - just checked it out and yes, way too much talking. But hey, not every performer is a great teacher. Not every teacher fits your learning style. 11:18 minutes of teaching time devoted to tuning in DADGAD (And I'm not sure that I'm ready to put the tuning fork in my mouth)!

Since Jeff Sheetz took over Truefire's 'curriculum', it looks like they are trying to be all things to all people. More a shotgun blast of a lesson than a rifle shot. This is as opposed to say, Toby Walker's style, where he takes a basic concept (or tune) and builds layers upon it. I find the Truefire approach exhausting to work with as it is mostly technique based. I'd rather have a song-based lesson that teaches me techniques than vice-versa.

It's interesting to compare lessons and videos across instructors and sites. Nothing online has surpassed a good 'in-person' lesson, but sometimes it comes close. Right now, I am going back over some of Toby's older lessons to work on technique and I am playing with Tim Spark's "Fingerstyle Boogie Woogie" (Truefire).

It's a good day to have off after a wicked week.

best,

Rick

PS - One comment that Bensusan makes is, "Tuning is the first step to get you into "listening mode." That's a great observation, because IMO, getting into the zone (listening mode) is the key to making progress. I once had a live lesson with Martin Grosswendt where he instilled this into me and boy, what a difference that made. It's prestty hard to turn that into an interesting lesson, because it's all about being a part of the music and losing yourself to it.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-20-2019, 06:21 PM

I've sauntered through many of the online offerings and thought something similar. When I was teaching myself I went straight for the meat and potatoes with the intent to work at it until I exhausted my staying power. Then, I'd renew and repeat. But, I don't remember trying to explain something to myself ad nauseam, in thought, as many of the tutorial hosts/instructors do. They would not do that for (to) themselves so why think an audience is any different?

The talk is okay, if it's relevantly demonstrative, but when someone drags their dead horse into the discussion I'm outa there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write