The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-17-2019, 11:46 PM

Default Palming the pick: problem playing Drowned

Learning Pete Townshend’s acoustic version of Drowned. Switches between fingers and pick. How do I do it? Much fumbling.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

I have problems while playing under water too.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-18-2019, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Is this the version you're learning? It's a terrible, homemade video, but a great tune. He appears to shift to fingerstyle around 1:27 and 3:20. It looks like he puts the pick between his index and second finger, then plays the fingerstyle with thumb and index. I've never tried storing the pick like that... kinda interesting. When he plays that part near the end at 4:02, he flatpicks it.

This one might be a little better... and you can clearly see where he puts the white pick. Is this what you're trying to do?

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-18-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:05 PM

Palming the pick is pretty common among, especially older school, electric guitarists, in order to get a little fingerpicking mixed in. Just watch the videos & see if his palming style works for you. Santana used a slightly different method. Setzer different still.
Country guitar players would probably be more inclined to use hybrid picking w/flatpick & fingers. I'd probably take a cross-pick approach and could come close enough (for me) to the pretty standard pattern he's using.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write