The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2019, 03:32 PM

RGD plays with an unusual strap position to allow him to stand or sit to play without moving the strap.

Try something like that with a strap before selling up. It will take quite a while to get used to doing this.

The strap won't help the neck profile dislike, and if you buy a modern L-00 it will be identical to the J. Maybe go for the jugular and get a vintage L-00 with all the tone and plenty of neck! (Or a lot less cash will get you a used Waterloo WL-14X or L).

BluesKing777.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:39 PM

It seems to me that playing comfort is the major issue for you. The other issues could be changed/overcome. It is too bad. It is a nice guitar. I'd say move on. BUT...

Be absolutely sure about playing comfort in whatever you decide upon to replace it.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:54 PM

Based on your list I would sell it. For me if the neck profile wasn’t what I wanted and it was uncomfortable to play seated it’s not the right guitar. Best of luck whatever you decide...
Old 02-17-2019, 04:15 PM

Sounds like you like the Gibson tone, but not the larger body. I definitely suggest sellling it and looking at a Gibson small body such as LG2 or L00. I’m not sure if any of those besides the legend would have the thicker neck you like though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I just sold a new Taylor 714ce V-Class after two months largely for this reason. Taylor brightness is always a bit of a challenge for my ears. But it was an interesting counterpoint to my D-41, so I was making peace with it. But the narrow body and tight waist made it difficult for me to play seated...which is pretty much how I play exclusively. Ends up I not only love the big dread sound but also the big dread body. So the Taylor had to find a new home. And I picked up Martin’s new slope dread. Soooo comfortable and FUN to play. Glad I made the move.

Life’s just too short to have to fight an uncomfortable guitar...
You’re very similar to me as far as comfort. Dreads are so much more comfortable and natural feeling to me. I still have my small body Gibson because it sounds soo good and gives me something different than my dreads, but it’s actually harder to hold and more uncomfortable than the dreads. We’re definitely in the minority.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Doug, Nice Playing! Perhaps a slightly different position for holding the guitar when you're seated would help? Try classical style with a foot on a footrest, try Neil Young style with the guitar sitting on your right leg and almost parallel to the floor. Try anything other than what you're doing!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-17-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:26 PM

Very nice playing! I think a vintage Gibson L or LG would suit your style very well
Old 02-17-2019, 04:30 PM
Guest 728

I gave up my beloved J-35 because I just don't tolerate big bodied guitars anymore. Loved everything else about it, but I'm not willing to suffer pain just for a guitar tone.

I ended up with an LG2 that has become my all-time favorite, number one, forever guitar. I like it even better than my J-35. I am certain that such a guitar is out there for you to discover. Go find it!
Old 02-17-2019, 05:21 PM
Guest 33123

Thanks guys. I appreciate the support.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:23 AM
Guest 33123

Something I wanted to add: I've been through this before. I kept a super jumbo 17" wide Gibson J-100Xtra for 11 years that didn't fit my frame at all. So it may take me longer than others to make a decision! I do appreciate your advice though.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:35 AM

I agree about this being a first-world problem, but I can relate. I'm about to turn 47 myself, and I have noticed that when I play my dreadnaught seated, sometimes my shoulder gets uncomfortable. This is very difficult for me to accept because I feel nowhere near that point in my life where I should have to accept minor aches and pains creeping in. I should say that I'm probably much more youthful than my biological age suggests — strangers regularly guess my age in the early 30s and are genuinely shocked when I tell them my real age.

Because of this, I refuse to give in to the idea that "I'm too old to this/that," and giving up my dreadnaught is not an option. I consider it a vital tool for the music I play, and therefore I'll have to work around the issues in other ways, by doing more exercises, stretching etc.

For me personally, everything comes down to what I want to do, and that applies to which guitars I want to play as well.

I let how a particular guitar feels to me be my guide: If it really speaks to me, almost like a person, a lover and a friend, I'll keep it.

If it doesn't, I won't. My suggestion: Forget the lists of pros and cons and listen to your guitar.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 02-18-2019, 10:50 AM

Firstly the playing sounds great!

My take.. Life's too short... I'd find a guitar that doesn't cause you discomfort. That sounds the way you want it too. Has the hardware you dig ... Finish and looks that make you happy .. etc.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Firstly the playing sounds great!

My take.. Life's too short... I'd find a guitar that doesn't cause you discomfort. That sounds the way you want it too. Has the hardware you dig ... Finish and looks that make you happy .. etc.
What he said times two. There's a heap of guitars out there that would suit your lovely style.
D45 Replica in open D
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
DigiTech JamMan Stereo Looper Pedal
Old 02-18-2019, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

I say keep it,
it sounds really nice

if you had a family emergency and needed the money, then sell

oh....and try dampening those bass strings like Chet did
Old 02-18-2019, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

One thing to consider- it's a tough time to be selling a guitar right now. Lots of nice ones priced fairly going unsold.

Enjoyed your playing! Guitar sounds great.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:29 PM

It's really a shame you can't physically get along with this J45.
I keep returning to the thread to see what's happened, if anything.
I just know I couldn't part with mine.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion