The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-12-2019, 09:17 PM

Default Style of music?

Hi Everyone,

Other than this song being Fingerstyle, what genre of music is this guy playing in? I've started learning this song, but would love to get my hands on some similar type songs that is this pretty. Any recommendations would be appreciated! :-)

Old 02-12-2019, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Fingerstyle style. No specific name for it.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-12-2019, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

I agree, a very pretty song. It reminded me a little of Pete Huttlinger, even though the technique is very different. Pete wrote a lot of songs that I would call pretty, covered a bunch of beautiful hymns, and recorded a lot of video lessons before he died. Tabs are available on his website. If you are not familiar you might want to check him out.

You also might want to check out rick-slo's website in his signature (first responder to your post). He has tabs for a lot of his originals there, and his albums are available on amazon music and I assume other streaming services.

Thanks for sharing that piece, and welcome to the AGF!
Old 02-13-2019, 12:00 AM

Thanks Bob, pretty great forum here! I'll check both out. I've heard of Pete Huttlinger, but can't say I know his music. Sounds like I'm in for a treat :-)
Old 02-13-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikaners View Post
Thanks Bob, pretty great forum here! I'll check both out. I've heard of Pete Huttlinger, but can't say I know his music. Sounds like I'm in for a treat :-)
Glad to hear that. I learned about Pete here on the AGF a couple of years ago, and that inspired me to learn finger style. Most of his tunes are still out of my league, but a couple of the more accessible ones that I work on occasionally are Darcy's Guitar and McGuire's Landing (that one is in DADGAD like a lot of his stuff).
Old 02-14-2019, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Go to YouTube and search “Daria Semikina”. Wonderful classically trained guitarist who is producing & posting outstanding videos of herself playing simply gorgeous fingerstyle music. She also has a website where you can purchase the arrangements in tab and notation. She does a lot of Japanese fingerstylist composers arrangements, my favorite being Masaaki Kishibe. I’ve learned three of those arrangements, very fun and gratifying to play.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 02-17-2019 at 07:48 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write