The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-12-2019, 11:55 AM

Default Adjusting Anthem Stage Pro in Larrivee OM-40

Just got a used Larrivee OM-40 Walnut with a factory installed Stage Pro Anthem system in it and love it so far, but have a quick question about the pickup. When I bias the preamp to the mic side, things get a lot warmer sounding and I lose a lot of the high end sparkle that I expected. On the piezo side, it sounds just like I’d expect, like a nice piezo.

I’ve been trying to read how to properly adjust the mic leve on this system using the screw under the battery cover but wanted to make sure this is the right thing to be doing to address this. From what I’ve read, this is the same system as the normal Anthem pickup, just with a barn door style install.

For those that have tweaked this adjustment, do you just adjust it to taste or is there a “right” way to have it set?
Old 02-12-2019, 08:15 PM

For those with an Anthem pickup: make sure you play with that mic setting. The stock 50% setting mine had was not enough and with a quick tweak it sounds FANTASTIC now.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

I have the Anthem SL system in both my 6 and 12 string Mark Angus guitars - pretty much the size/shape of a Guild F-40.

I was surprised to note that I actually like the tone best when I have far more than 50% of the UST in the mix! Curious...

With the full system (like you have), there are many more adjustable parameters to deal with... if I were you, I'd call Baggs and talk with the tech department and find out how to REALLY adjust the thing and what all the controls do.

In my previous talks with Baggs, I have noted that many folks really don't have much of a clue as to how to adjust them or vary the mix... I know that, with the full Anthem system, you can actually set the thing so that the UST picks up ALL the frequencies and the True-Mic is effectively out of the loop; this would be useful for a louder "band" setting where feedback could be an issue... normally, the UST portion of the Anthem is set with a crossover so that only the frequencies below 140 hz are picked up...

Baggs has always been more than helpful with me; makes the phone call well worth the time!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification