The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-08-2019, 07:52 PM

Default Titebond Extend

I’ve recently made up a set of binding and purfling strips using Titebond Extend. This was ebony with a combination of three very fine 0.3mm veneers at the bottom of the binding strip.

These ebony binding plus triple veneer bent remarkably easily on a traditional bending iron using little or no water. Titebond Extend is meant to be the most heat resistant of their aliphatic glues and I certainly found it superior to Titebond Original or II.

Have also found that using a homemade miniature bending strap - just a small piece of sprung steel - reduces the risk of breaking the binding by supporting the back of the binding strip and helping keep the heat within the wood.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:04 PM

Thanks for all the replies. By steam bending, I meant using a bit of water on the binding, and bending on a heat pipe. I will try using the tightbond and bending without water first.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbag View Post
Thanks for all the replies. By steam bending, I meant using a bit of water on the binding, and bending on a heat pipe. I will try using the tightbond and bending without water first.
You can still spray a little water on the piece - keep it mostly dry. (I originally thought you meant steam bending, as with a steam box like the ones used to bend serious pieces of wood - e.g. chair parts, etc...)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:03 PM

Tite Bond III(green) will hold as well as bend.Think waterproof gum.I have made a lot of perfling using it to glue up veneer sheets. Also glue sheets to 1/4" stock and then cut off bindings. Bends fine on pipe and steam bath.

Seems to have short shelf life.

Heard polyurathane glue cracks as bent. No experience.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair