The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-11-2019, 07:46 AM

It is interesting, Bob, that you find no difference in sustain. I always thought that was one of the results of the slab of mahogany.

Maybe I will check these out. I have the Fender side of things covered to my satisfaction, but do sometimes wish I had a Les Paul. The more expensive models are outside of my comfort zone, price wise.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:00 PM

First, a big thank you to all who contributed to this discussion!

I have made a decision. I have on the way a 2016 Gibson LP Studio T in Inverness Green. I got her at a price low enough that if I make the final decision I don’t want to keep the 490R/498T pickups I won’t feel bad about the cost of swapping. This felt like a good model to go with for its traditional look and feel. And I love all things green!

Everybody has to have a Les Paul at some point right?

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 02-17-2019, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich Novice View Post
First, a big thank you to all who contributed to this discussion!

I have made a decision. I have on the way a 2016 Gibson LP Studio T in Inverness Green. I got her at a price low enough that if I make the final decision I don’t want to keep the 490R/498T pickups I won’t feel bad about the cost of swapping. This felt like a good model to go with for its traditional look and feel. And I love all things green!

Everybody has to have a Les Paul at some point right?
Congratulations. One of my LPs has those pickups too. Funny, after trying it out, I don't think I've ever used the single coil mode, but a friend does very time he plays it. Go figure.

Anyway, enjoy your new Gibby. Everyone needs a Lester. Have fun and play it loud and long.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:17 PM

She arrived today. The green is even better in person. Can definitely tell it’s weight relieved. Great weight to it. I am not good at posting pics so likely no NGD. Looking forward to putting her through her paces

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 02-20-2019, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am not good at posting pics so likely no NGD.
Oh come on, you can't do that to us.

It's not that hard. Take a look at this thread and try the Tapatalk app... it's easy. PM me if you have trouble.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Oh come on, you can't do that to us.

It's not that hard. Take a look at this thread and try the Tapatalk app... it's easy. PM me if you have trouble.
I am visually impaired so it adds a whole other layer! I can attempt it again. Or if somebody wants to volunteer for me to email or text them to ..

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 02-21-2019, 07:40 PM

Thus far I am liking the 490R/498T. Sure the neck pickup is quite dark but it really works well for me putting down a good rhythm loop to play over. My Guild, which I really like, has lower output pickups (HB-1) so the 498 is a welcome addition as it is a much higher output pickup than I had at my disposal before.

I am really impressed from top to bottom so far. Tuning seems very stable. Sustain is what I expected, which is fantastic.

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 02-21-2019, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thus far I am liking the 490R/498T. Sure the neck pickup is quite dark but it really works well for me putting down a good rhythm loop to play over. My Guild, which I really like, has lower output pickups (HB-1) so the 498 is a welcome addition as it is a much higher output pickup than I had at my disposal before.

I am really impressed from top to bottom so far. Tuning seems very stable. Sustain is what I expected, which is fantastic.
That's great! Glad it worked out for you. Enjoy!
Old 02-22-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:

I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio that has those pickups and they rock. I like them a lot. They can really nail the hard rock and even metal tone. Glad to hear you're enjoy the guitar.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:34 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Sustain is what I expected, which is fantastic.
Go away and get a bite and it'll still be vibrating when you get back, according to Nigel.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-22-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio that has those pickups and they rock. I like them a lot. They can really nail the hard rock and even metal tone. Glad to hear you're enjoy the guitar.
Agree! So do my neighbors I’m guessing. Even my fuzz is taking on an aggressive tone this week...

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars