The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
The Colling tour sounds great! I've been looking at one of their electric models, a 290, but there are none local to play. It would be great if they also have a "petting zoo" where people can sample guitars, much like at the Martin factory. Do you know if this location makes both electric and acoustic guitars?
Yes, I know they make the electrics there too as the shop layout on their website shows the electric build area and the electric set-up areas which I believe are part of the tour....Probably best to call them to be 100%!
Old 10-13-2018, 09:47 AM

This is the only Collings factory so they make it all here. No guitars laying around to play though.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Joel and I are honored and proud to be asked to attend Tom’s BIG show with some of our guitars. Especially considering the other modern legends and luminaries who will also be present. I actually feel like a wharf rat, stowing away on a billionaire’s yacht!

I have lots of experience with guitar shows, so I know how fast they sneak up on you. You gotta dive in head first, many months before the event, and build your guitars, because six or twelve months will glide by at stupefying speed if you don’t.

Have you ever had that dream where you are playing the lead role in a Broadway play, and suddenly it’s opening night, and you haven’t even read the script? Yeah, it can be like that.

So I already got a good start on two very special guitars I plan to bring. These are my “spare time” builds (if there even is such a thing). The first one is pretty much the top of my line: A Zephyr 00 model, with Brazilian Rosewood back and sides, a bearclaw Sitka top, scoop cutaway, multiscale, upper and lower bout sound ports with sliders so you can play them open or closed; also arm and rib bevels, my new Omega style open headstock, and a few other surprises. I intend for it to have the kind of visual appeal that will reach out and grab you by the eyeballs, drag you in close, and then fill your ears with ethereal siren-songs. High hopes, eh?

The other guitar is one I’ve been wanting to make for along time: It’s a Eclipse OM model, with a Florentine cutaway, arm and rib bevels, Omega headstock, and some amazing quilted Maple back and sides, with an Alaskan Yellow Cedar top. It will be decked out in flamed Katalox trim. And get this- I’m going to finish the Maple with a transparent BLUE, with subtle black shading. This was inspired by the famous Blue Guitar collection, a series of super-high-end arch tops, all with blue finish, that’s were commissioned by the late Scott Chinery back in the late 90s.
This Blue Guitar collection is gloriously detailed in Ken Vose’s book, Blue Guitar, published in 1998 by Chronicle Books. I’m sure most of you luthiers are familiar with this, but if you haven’t heard of it, get on Google RIGHT NOW!

Meanwhile, I need to get some work done. I will post photos of the guitars when the time is right. And I’m really looking forward to seeing this show get wings and fly. THANK YOU Tom, for being such a great friend to all of us!

Last edited by theEdwinson; 10-14-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:57 AM

When I did the Collings tour a few years ago there were zero guitars to sample at the factory - that may have changed, I don't know. Since Hill Country Guitars closed, there is no longer a big Collings dealer here in Austin, though both Austin Guitar House and Austin Vintage Guitars have recently become dealers. Neither has anywhere close to the selection that HC had, unfortunately, but both are great shops in their own way.

By the way, if anyone would like a local guide to Austin guitar shops, I would be happy to help out (any excuse to go!). I recommend doing it Friday morning before the Collings tour (or instead of), as there won't be time before Tom's shindig starts on Saturday. It's a pretty long drive from Austin - but scenic!
Old 10-13-2018, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Joel and I are honored and proud to be asked to attend Tom’s BIG show with some of our guitars. Especially considering the other modern legends and luminaries who will also be present. I actually feel like a wharf rat, stowing away on a billionaire’s yacht!

I have lots of experience with guitar shows, so I know how fast they sneak up one you. You gotta dive in head first, many months before the event, and build your guitars, because six or twelve months will glide by at stupefying speed if you don’t.

Have you ever had that dream where you are playing the lead role in a broadway play, and suddenly it’s opening night, and you haven’t even read the script? Yeah, it can be like that.

So I already got a good start on two very special guitars I plan to bring. These are my “spare time” builds (if there even is such a thing). The first one is pretty much the top of my line: A Zephyr 00 model, with Brazilian Rosewood back and sides, a bearclaw Sitka top, scoop cutaway, multiscale, upper and lower bout sound ports with sliders so you can play them open or closed; also arm and rib bevels, my new Omega style open headstock, and a few other surprises. I intend for it to have the kind of visual appeal that will reach out and grab you by the eyeballs, drag you in close, and then fill your ears with ethereal siren-songs. High hopes, eh?

The other guitar is one I’ve been wanting to make for along time: It’s a Eclipse OM model, with a Florentine cutaway, arm and rib bevels, Omega headstock, and some amazing quilted Maple back and sides, with an Alaskan Yellow Cedar top. It will be decked out in flamed Katalox trim. And get this- I’m going to finish the Maple with a transparent BLUE, with subtle black shading. This was inspired by the famous Blue Guitar collection, a series of super-high-end arch tops, all with blue finish, that’s were commissioned by the late Scott Chinery back in the late 90s.
This Blue Guitar collection is gloriously detailed in Ken Vose’s book, Blue Guitar, published in 1998 by Chronicle Books. I’m sure most of you luthiers are familiar with this, but if you haven’t heard of it, get on Google RIGHT NOW!

Meanwhile, I need to get some work done. I will post photos of the guitars when the time is right. And I’m really looking forward to seeing this show get wings and fly. THANK YOU Tom, for being such a great friend to all of us!

Steve, a blue-shaded maple...that's going to be something to see! Knowing you, I'm sure the reality will be even better than the vision. Looking forward to this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
When I did the Collings tour a few years ago there were zero guitars to sample at the factory - that may have changed, I don't know. Since Hill Country Guitars closed, there is no longer a big Collings dealer here in Austin, though both Austin Guitar House and Austin Vintage Guitars have recently become dealers. Neither has anywhere close to the selection that HC had, unfortunately, but both are great shops in their own way.

By the way, if anyone would like a local guide to Austin guitar shops, I would be happy to help out (any excuse to go!). I recommend doing it Friday morning before the Collings tour (or instead of), as there won't be time before Tom's shindig starts on Saturday. It's a pretty long drive from Austin - but scenic!

If I can fly out on Thursday night, I'll take you up on this! Not sure of what my work schedule will allow, and my wife (assuming she and the kids don't join me). Thank you!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-14-2018, 07:48 AM

Check your messages, Mike. If you do want to tour Austin on Friday, it would be best to fly into Austin rather than SA - cut down on driving time. These cities are as far apart as Philadelphia and Atlantic City, but the traffic is worse.

Anybody else? My CRV will hold 4 passengers. It's kind of a tough call. Austin has better guitar shops (IMO), but San Antonio has a unique culture, the Riverwalk, the Alamo, and the Spurs. And who is going to be able to tear themselves away from Tom's for very long? There are also some fabulous nature areas quite close to him: I can show you some birds that I promise you've never seen before.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post

I have lots of experience with guitar shows, so I know how fast they sneak up one you. You gotta dive in head first, many months before the event, and build your guitars, because six or twelve months will glide by at stupefying speed if you don’t.

Have you ever had that dream where you are playing the lead role in a broadway play, and suddenly it’s opening night, and you haven’t even read the script? Yeah, it can be like that.

WOW Steve, thanks for posting. The builds sound fantastic. I have recently been made a convert to Maple guitars. It is too bad that the old stereotypes still exist, they are just amazing to me when you hold a luthier built maple guitar, be prepared to be very surprised at the sound! Top o' the line BRW topped with bear claw sitka...I thank you so much for building such guitars for the Guitarapolooza!!!! So lucky to have you. Can't wait to start to get pictures up of the builds to get everyone's juices flowing!

Quote:

Our house is just around 55 minutes from Austin depending on where you start from of course. Thanks for being the Austin connection Stan!!! You are officially a secretary to the undersecretary of the Austin Guitarapolooza Ambassador's office! Pay is still under committee approval though!

Quote:
Check your messages, Mike. If you do want to tour Austin on Friday, it would be best to fly into Austin rather than SA - cut down on driving time. These cities are as far apart as Philadelphia and Atlantic City, but the traffic is worse.

Anybody else? My CRV will hold 4 passengers. It's kind of a tough call. Austin has better guitar shops (IMO), but San Antonio has a unique culture, the Riverwalk, the Alamo, and the Spurs. And who is going to be able to tear themselves away from Tom's for very long? There are also some fabulous nature areas quite close to him: I can show you some birds that I promise you've never seen before.
Traffic can be bad for sure. For other folks who do not want to do Austin or the Collings tour, flying into SA is easiest in my opinion. Once there you get on 281 north and make only three turns (two rights and one left haha) to get to my house. As Stan mentioned, there are endless things to do in San Antonio. There is a cave system 20 minutes from the house that is simply amazing! This is one reason I was trying to emphasize in the introduction, do NOT be afraid to bring family and take a couple of days on either end of the trip as there is plenty for them to do in the area if not wanting to hang out with the guitar people all day!
Old 10-14-2018, 03:23 PM

If you are flying in from someplace, it would be a tough call of which city to visit if you only have a night or two. For the person who was interested in a Collings electric, you would have better luck playing one in SA. SA actually has a dealer with some inventory. Austin Vintage Guitars is now the Collings dealer in Austin and as the name suggests, they deal mostly in vintage guitars and have a very limited selection of new Martins and Collings. I live about 10 miles from the Collings shop and have visited a few times. It is definitely worth your time, but make sure to make reservations at least a couple of weeks in advance. March is SXSW month in Austin and some people tend to hang around for a while. Austin is obviously the better option if you would like to hear music for nights during your visit, but a little early to tell who will be around then.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:03 PM

I have been signing up a lot of AGFer's over the last few days and I thank each and everyone of them for doing so and for trusting Kathy and I to put on a quality event.

In discussions with everyone, a fellow AGF member mentioned to me that they had met Ben Wilborn at the Santa Barbara show a few years back and enjoyed meeting and talking with Ben, but could not get an appreciation for how good his guitars actually were because of the noise and acoustics in the big auditorium. BINGO....meet the B.I.G....this is my house, go into the music room and try any of them out, finger pick, flat pick etc. you will actually be able to get down and personal with the instrument.

Then I noted a post Bruce Sexauer made in his thread regarding the show in Italy he recently displayed at. After getting his permission to quote him, I will do so here, "The Cremona event was nearly as loud as NAMM, much louder than any real guitar show I’ve attended, and I cannot but wonder if anyone was able to hear my guitar well enough to appreciate it at all. Perhaps I will still have it for Tom’s Guitarapalooza. Then many of you can be the judge."

This is one of the reasons I thought about doing this party/show/event/get together...I LOVE Woodstock because it is an event like no other, but ask anyone there if they can hear anything? You will be able to hear what you want here, just like in your own home.

I hope anyone on the fence will decide to attend. We look forward to meeting y'all.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 10-16-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:18 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I am desperately trying to attend but March is a notoriously bad month for me commitment wise. I will continue to try.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Hi Tom,

Just sent you an email about possibly attending. Not a bad drive down from beautiful Grapevine here, and might hook up with Doodahdoug and his girlfriend and make the drive down and back together.

It will indeed be a nice time of year to be in the Texas Hill Country!!

Jim
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 10-17-2018, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

And the check has officially been cut, placed in an envelope and stamped. It shall be dropped off at the post office tomorrow morning. Very cool!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-17-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I am desperately trying to attend but March is a notoriously bad month for me commitment wise. I will continue to try.
I sincerely hope you can work it out Matthew. Just the 3 hours of concerts is enough to make it a great day!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhelan56 View Post
Hi Tom,

Just sent you an email about possibly attending. Not a bad drive down from beautiful Grapevine here, and might hook up with Doodahdoug and his girlfriend and make the drive down and back together.

It will indeed be a nice time of year to be in the Texas Hill Country!!

Jim
That is truly great news for sure. K and I are really looking forward to hosting what we hope is a great event!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
And the check has officially been cut, placed in an envelope and stamped. It shall be dropped off at the post office tomorrow morning. Very cool!
Now listen folks, Mike is coming all the way from across the country and we are very pleased to have him!!! Don't let distance deter you! I think with the folks who have signed up thus far, we are going to have a really great group attending. The camaraderie among us guitar nuts mixed with BBQ, possibly a couple of adult beverages or not, and world class guitars to sample, with Paul and Cindy, Michael Watts and Frog and Toad playing for us, what more can I do for you lol!!!
Old 10-18-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I was just reminded by one confirmed attendee about the Friday afternoon Collings factory tours in Austin that are offered. That would be a really cool start to the weekend.
Thanks for this tip - I called and got on the list for 3/29/19 Collings tour. Haven't booked travel yet, but will try to make this happen, a great add-on to the event!
Old 10-18-2018, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Texas here we come!

Woo-hoo! Got my confirmation of payment today!!!

Oh yeah--going to B.I.G. 2019!!!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop