The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-09-2011, 02:47 PM

Default Starter Resonator

Hi folks,
I'm a relative newbie to guitars, I play upside down open-tuned made-up nonsense (which you can see examples of here -> (my youtube channel).
However, I want to try my hand with a resonator as I adore the sound of them and I think it would suit my style.
My problem is two-fold:
  1. I don't have thousands of pounds to spend. In fact I barely have hundreds.
  2. I have no idea what's good and what's bad manufacturer-wise

So that leads me on to three questions:
  1. What are some good budget manufacturers of resonator guitars?
  2. What differences are there/what's best between single-cone and dual-/tri-cone? Volume? Tone?
  3. How much should I be looking to pay for a starter resonator??

(a possible fourth question - what am I forgetting to ask here?)
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond

Matt
Old 11-09-2011, 02:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffu View Post
Hi folks,
I'm a relative newbie to guitars, I play upside down open-tuned made-up nonsense (which you can see examples of here -> (my youtube channel).
However, I want to try my hand with a resonator as I adore the sound of them and I think it would suit my style.
My problem is two-fold:
  1. I don't have thousands of pounds to spend. In fact I barely have hundreds.
  2. I have no idea what's good and what's bad manufacturer-wise

So that leads me on to three questions:
  1. What are some good budget manufacturers of resonator guitars?
  2. What differences are there/what's best between single-cone and dual-/tri-cone? Volume? Tone?
  3. How much should I be looking to pay for a starter resonator??

(a possible fourth question - what am I forgetting to ask here?)
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond

Matt
Matt,
Get in touch with Bottleneck John and he can hook you up:

http://www.thecountryblues.com/artis...hann-eliasson/

HE
Old 11-09-2011, 03:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Matt,
If you go here: http://www.republicguitars.com/guita...rproducts.html and look at the resonators that they make I think you'll be able to find many that will fit your budget.

I am pretty sure that John has done demo videos for them as well so check out youtube with tags like 'republic reso John' or the like.

They're there, somewhere.

HE
Old 11-09-2011, 03:31 PM

I hear great things about these.
http://www.beardguitars.com/Merchant...gory_Code=GTRG
Old 11-09-2011, 04:04 PM

Worth a few minutes http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/R...sExplained.htm
Old 11-09-2011, 06:32 PM

First off, stay away from Gold Tone and the rest of the imports. They are not good. The only import I would consider is Hot Rod guitars.

From Lenny @ nationalguitar.com

not www.nationalguitars.com but
www.nationalguitar.com

imports, professionally setup by one of the best guys in the industry, no lie.

Talk to Lenny. For $700 you can have an awesome resonator and also trade in at full price towards a National Resonator should you come across some extra cash in the future. Do not buy a Republic either. Absolute rubbish.

PM me if you need more info. I've been playing resonators for quite a while.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:48 PM

Just listened to your stuff. I simply *love* those who go their own path. Congrats.

Now, about the resos : a few years ago, I knew nothing about them, but decided to have a try. Gathering infos on the web, I came to the conclusion that these guitars are mainly mechanics. Much more than wood guitars (resos can be took apart quite easily, contrary of wooden guitars)
With that in mind, I understood that you can change easily some critical components, like the cones, so it was not that much important to seek for the best quality instrument, since you could upgrade without much hassle (as long as you are willing to make the job yourself).

I finally choose the Republic brand, because they offered the wide neck I need (1 7/8"), and the price was ok. When I received my first one (a tricone), I just took the thing apart, changed the cones, the saddle, the nut, made the necessary fretting job, mushrooms moves, etc... and ended up with a very nice instrument.
After that, I wanted a single cone (of course...), and I bought the resolian model from the same (chinese made) brand.
Very satisfied overall, but I repeat, if you don't do your own set-ups, forget it. (maybe it's time to consider to learn a bit about that, it's very satisfying, and very efficient, too).
I know that for some, it's unacceptable to pay that kind of price and have to do all that work, but for me it's ok.

Resonator guitars are a world to discover.
Having listened to your stuff, you should love them.
Have a nice trip.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 11-09-2011, 07:20 PM

That's some pretty cool "nonsense" Matt!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:31 PM

Matt, you're Uncle Bubba?! The upside down left handed guitar player? Cool stuff bud!

In the UK your best bet is Busker. In the US we have Republic, and the setup is sometimes... well.. we also have Hot Rod from Lenny at Nationalguitars.com, and those are well set up and a bit more than Republic. These are OUR best bets in the USA.

In the UK you have Michael Messer and Busker Guitars-http://www.buskerguitars.co.uk/
This is your best bet for an inexpensive, well made resonator guitar in the UK. There is no one else. Sure you can get a cheap Regal, but you better be prepared to spend some $ and time after the sale.

Looking at your style, I'd suggest a single cone wood body reso. Easier to damp with your right (LEFT in this case) hand, very pleasing reso sound, more mellow than the steel.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:38 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Square neck or round?
Wood or steel?
If playing lap style and wood, I'd recommend a Beard Goldtone. Made in China with Beard's "oversight".
Love mine.
The ones Elderly Music has in stock are (or, at least used to be,) set up by Beard/his ship prior to being sent out to Elderly.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 11-09-2011, 10:07 PM

RECORDING KING RR-50VS

Played fingerstyle sans slide, it doesn't have that metal resonator gutteral, what I liken to as 'a swallowing of the notes'. Sounds like a flattop with a metal cone effect. $375 US. With slide, search youtube.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 AM

Wow - thank you so much everyone for the wealth of information. All to often on the internet, as a newcomer entering an arena of pros and veterans you lay yourself open to elitism, esoterica and even outright derision.
Not so here.
Every reply contains some useful information and/or encouragement and I'm amazed just how much more I feel I now know on the subject just by going through the posts and the links contained in them.

@bingoccc - you're right, it is worth a few minutes
@neal & @jpbat - I couldn't have asked for a better answer. Between the two of you you've made me much more confident in making the right decision as well as helping to clarify what I should be looking for/thinking about when making the purchase.

The republic and recording king guitars look very good but, as jpbat says, there would be much setup needed to make them sound right. It appears that Busker Guitars do all the cone replacement and setup for you and they are UK based so that looks like my starting point.
Thank you all once again for your kind and informative words and for making a newbie feel at home.

Matt
Old 11-10-2011, 12:31 PM

I really like the reso guitars that Regal offers.
Well made, finished nicely and won't break the bank.

RD-40V is a nice starter.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:17 AM

Default Resonators

The Busker and Michael Messer guitars were made in the same factory as the Republic guitars, though they aren't now, because of quality control problems.

Both Michael Messer and Robin (of Busker Guitars) are incredibly helpful and go out of their way to sort out any problems. Busker check and set-up the guitars (MM guitars too) before sending them.

I had an MM Blues reso, but didn't like it, and sold it on. I'd like a Busker Delta, but unfortunately they've stopped importing them. The MM Lightning is very popular and sounds good.

Lightning played by Gerry Cooper
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gerrycoo.../3/KVsb17u8McE

MM Blues played by Michael Messer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjTS97WXc7c

Lots if advice here
http://michaelmesser.proboards.com/index.cgi

Best of luck!

Last edited by xyz; 11-12-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:14 PM

How does Gibson's Dobro brand rate?

What's the difference between single- and tri-cones?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments