The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-03-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
I think this is a fair comment- the National guitars that are being built today are really superb instruments. Maybe a more accurate comment is that with resonators, a well-set-up cheapie will get you much closer to the good stuff than with a flattop acoustic. My good friend has an Estralita, and I've played the Rogue along side it a bunch of times. I would obviously rather have the Estralita, but I honestly never felt like the Rogue was leaving a lot on the table. The main difference in my hands is that the Estralita has more comfortable string spacing; a 1 11/16 nut can be pretty narrow for slide. To most people's ears, the two would sound a little "different"; I don't know that one or the other would sound subjectively better.
Ha, ain't it the truth! Most people's ears really don't differentiate. I think the main reason we as a group seem to be so obsessed with Adirondack vs. Engleman, rosewood vs. ovangkol, etc.. is for our own perceptions. When you and your buddy play, and if skills are equal, I bet not one of your listeners can tell which guitar costs more. Or cares. It's MY comfort and ear I'm concerned with.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:32 PM

My three

Crappy playing on the brass biscuit Duolian

http://www.thekrashsite.com/annex/mp...alkinBlues.mp3

and the woodie spider Type 27

http://www.thekrashsite.com/annex/mp...ollnTumble.mp3

Both open G, glass bottleneck and flesh and nails

The tricone is somewhere in between - more sustain than the biscuit but not as much as the spider, medium attack. The wood kills some of the metallic clankyness that you often hear in tricones giving it a sweeter more singing sound. It is amazingly loud when you dig in, yet almost acoustic sounding when played lightly. I'll get around to recording it one of these days.

I'll second Aaron's comments about fretboards - if you are going to play mostly slide seriously consider the widest flattest board you can get - the Duolian is 16 inch radius and I'm constantly fretting out. The tricone is 20 inch with a 1-3/4 nut, the 27 is near dead flat and 1-7/8. Ditto cones and setups - I've got NRP cones in the biscuit and tricone and a Quarterman in the 27 - all worth the additional price.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:54 PM

I'll just add a couple of shots of the insides of these critters

80 year old Dobro (tm) Type 27

30 year old Dobro (tm) Duolian

and the koa tricone

Both the Duolian and 27 are true Dobro brand - they didn't make a lot of metal bodied guitars but mine is one of a few. IMHO it is not nearly to Nat or NRP standards, but certainly better than most of the imports that I've played
Old 06-05-2010, 05:35 AM

Great replies from knowledgeable people. Just to add that I bought a Samick 'Artist Series' reso, excellent cond., for around $250. Their Artist Series are very well made. Just a thought, there may be one floating when you're looking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wife has had a K. Yairi OM-size since new, 1975
Old 06-05-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbshriver View Post
Recently, my fiance got the urge to try learning to play dobro/resonator type guitar (I honestly don't know what the most general term for this instrument is). She really has no musical background at all, I've tried teaching her some bass, but she just hasn't been interested enough to really work on it. She seems really excited about the resonator and wants to get one to learn on.
Anyone have some suggestions on what is the cheapest way to get one "functional" enough to learn on? Musicians Friend has one
http://folk-instruments.musiciansfri...tor?sku=519190
The reviews seem good, and it's about as cheap as anything I've found on Ebay.
Any other ideas? What about some sort of book to learn it (again starting from minimal musical experience)?

Thanks!

I have a ton of experience with reso's of all different stripes. I have owned Regal's, Hound Dog Dobro's, Johnson and Recording King's as well as one Republic and one Busker. Basically if it's a cheap reso or an "affordable" reso I've owned it or currently own it.

To start: Don't waste your time with the Rogue's they're awful. Don't go there. Secondly it's most likely that she'd prefer a wood body reso and not a metal body - the metal body reso's are for slide players and old blues guys generally women probably aren't inclined towards them but that's a generalization. She may be into brass body reso's for all I know. I'd suggest starting with wood though because they're much lighter and mellower on the ears.
As for what I recommend Regal (which I usually don't recommend in metal body instruments - I prefer Johnson actually for brass body reso's on the cheap) makes an RD-40 model now available at Elderly for around (well, I can't say) but it's a good deal. That's your best bet.

Peace.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
My three

Crappy playing on the brass biscuit Duolian

http://www.thekrashsite.com/annex/mp...alkinBlues.mp3

and the woodie spider Type 27

http://www.thekrashsite.com/annex/mp...ollnTumble.mp3

Both open G, glass bottleneck and flesh and nails

The tricone is somewhere in between - more sustain than the biscuit but not as much as the spider, medium attack. The wood kills some of the metallic clankyness that you often hear in tricones giving it a sweeter more singing sound. It is amazingly loud when you dig in, yet almost acoustic sounding when played lightly. I'll get around to recording it one of these days.

I'll second Aaron's comments about fretboards - if you are going to play mostly slide seriously consider the widest flattest board you can get - the Duolian is 16 inch radius and I'm constantly fretting out. The tricone is 20 inch with a 1-3/4 nut, the 27 is near dead flat and 1-7/8. Ditto cones and setups - I've got NRP cones in the biscuit and tricone and a Quarterman in the 27 - all worth the additional price.

They're a lovely trio!!!
Old 06-05-2010, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Save the hassle/cost of buying entry level and trading up a better resos. Here's where I ended up. National Resophonic M1 Tricone. An all mahogany body tricone...get that rich singing sustain with a smooth wooden body tone...

Actually which guitar you gets depends on what music/sound you're looking for...A single cone biscuit bridge will get you into delta blues country. The spider bridge dobro gets you into bluegrass and country sounds. The tri-cone will be more versatile sound ...great for blues and rags but also great for any other kind of music you want to play on a reso....
Old 06-05-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
Save the hassle/cost of buying entry level and trading up a better resos. Here's where I ended up. National Resophonic M1 Tricone. An all mahogany body tricone...get that rich singing sustain with a smooth wooden body tone...

Actually which guitar you gets depends on what music/sound you're looking for...A single cone biscuit bridge will get you into delta blues country. The spider bridge dobro gets you into bluegrass and country sounds. The tri-cone will be more versatile sound ...great for blues and rags but also great for any other kind of music you want to play on a reso....
Uhm, so she's a beginner player and you want her to rush out and get a National? Really? I mean... sorry, that's like telling someone who likes looking at the night sky to go out and buy the best telescope they can buy... I'm sorry, it's lousy advice. Just my .2 cents.

Post like this make me realize why I never come to this forum: the level of artificial snobbery on this board amazes me. You guys really take this crap way too seriously. It's a hobby, I bet none of you have ever made a dime off music. And yet you guys get so carried away...

anyway I'm outta here yet again. I can take about 20 posts worth of this site before the assclownery gets to me and I have to move on. Good riddance to this awful place.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGuitarMan View Post
Uhm, so she's a beginner player and you want her to rush out and get a National? Really? I mean... sorry, that's like telling someone who likes looking at the night sky to go out and buy the best telescope they can buy... I'm sorry, it's lousy advice. Just my .2 cents.

Post like this make me realize why I never come to this forum: the level of artificial snobbery on this board amazes me. You guys really take this crap way too seriously. It's a hobby, I bet none of you have ever made a dime off music. And yet you guys get so carried away...

Hey, easy does it LittleGuitarMan, like all forums and the written word, I don't think Dotneck read the main post clearly, as do a lot of us on more occasions than than I can count. In a conversation about resos, his comment is very valid. In this instance it's just a case of probably not reading thru the first post clearly.
It happens. Don't run off. Besides, those of us that have purchased a new National have a great love for those guitars for good reason, and sometimes a disdain for the cheapies for good reason too.

I snipped off the last of your quote..
Old 06-05-2010, 06:59 AM

Quitter.

http://www.guitarseminars.com/gs/viewtopic.php?t=4081

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGuitarMan View Post
...anyway I'm outta here yet again. I can take about 20 posts worth of this site before the assclownery gets to me and I have to move on. Good riddance to this awful place.

Shill - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill
Sockpuppet - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sock_puppet_(internet)
Forumspam - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_spam
Old 06-05-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcphail View Post
Which page of that humongous thread?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:13 AM

Nothing in particular, it's just an example of perseverance.

Shill - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill
Sockpuppet - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sock_puppet_(internet)
Forumspam - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_spam
Old 06-05-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbshriver View Post
Thanks, sounds like the round-neck version from Rogue will be a good choice for a starter.

Neither she nor I know enough to get into which type of cone, what type of music etc (I play mostly older country, and Johnny Cash, strumming/flatpicking on a dreadnaught), so just something to learn on is good enough.

I think she's expecting to play on the lap, as that's what she's seen and been attracted to, and probably slide only, which would indicate square neck, but I think the idea of better flexibility is good for the beginner version, and probably not too many exotic tunings will be used for at least a few years (I've been playing guitar for about 10 years and have yet to find a need for anything other than standard tuning).

Thanks for the replies!

Any recommendations on a good learner book?
There's been a lot of great advice given here. I play square neck, spider bridge resonator guitar tuned to G, so take my advice for what it's worth. But if she's going to play a wooden, spider bridge reso on her lap (like my personal favorite Rob Ickes) you might want to really consider a square neck. The reason is that this style is played with the two lowest strings tuned up from A and E to B and G. That's quite a bit more pressure on the neck and that's one of the advantages to the square neck is the extra strength for the extra string pressure. I suppose that the square neck is not as versatile, but if you know that she's going to play that style, you might want to get the guitar for that style.

As far as learning material, Jimmy Heffernan has a good learning DVD available. I don't remember what it's called, but when you hear the name you'll know it's for beginners. But my favorite is the Rob Ickes 2 DVD set from Homespun. If you sign up for their emails, the often send discounted specials that are pretty good discounts.

Good luck with learning...it sure is a lot of fun.

P.S. That's what the alphabet would look like if there was no Q and R.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:00 PM

[QUOTE=Freeman;2246115]My three

Freeman : may I ask where the tricone is coming from ?
Is this a custom built ?

(I use two *very* customised Republic resos, and I'm very happy with them, but I would like to add a wooden reso...)

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 06-05-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:

Freeman : may I ask where the tricone is coming from ?
Is this a custom built ?

(I use two *very* customised Republic resos, and I'm very happy with them, but I would like to add a wooden reso...)
Yes, I built it. Here were some pics that I put in the Custom forum

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=184378

and a build thread

http://bigroadblues.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11037

I have a friend who is one of the best titanium welders in the world, we have been considering building one out of ti. I guess that would be called a TIcone, eh? Sorry if that drifts the thread too much.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments