The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 12:16 PM

In that price range i wouldn't buy without playing first.

All D28's are not created equal. They are consistently good, but some are stellar and that pendulum swings both ways.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-20-2019, 12:19 PM

There are less expensive Martin models that are of high quality and have exemplary sound I’ve been recently impressed by a Martin Performing artist special all ovangkol model which is a slightly smaller Dreadnought. Sweet picked and strummed. Both very familiar sound and somewhat unique.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Aside from the obvious things to look for which you have mentioned, the neck to body angle is important to check. Lay a straight edge (steel rule is ideal), along the fretboard and up to the bridge (not the saddle). The rule should either just pass over the top or just touch the front edge close to the top of the bridge.
Too shallow a neck/body angle and you'll have problems setting a comfortable action because you'll eventually run out of saddle height to reduce, and as the top bellies over time it'll become more difficult, ultimately necessitating a neck reset.
Have fun with your new guitar; you've chosen a great model.
As a few other have said, sound is subjective, but certainly some are better than others (although the D-28 is surprisingly consistent). But if I were buying a new Martin, I would have a trusted professional look at the neck angle, as Andrew mentions, as well as completing a setup to optimizing playability and comfort.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Your term "thin" is right on.

Go for "fat tone". A good right hand can tame it.
Plus you have the ability to provide the thick D28 tone if needed.

Or don't be disappointed with a new, thin sounding one. Many will blossom into a fuller output later, sometimes in years.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluvius View Post
But WOW... I was blown away by that sound!! So powerful, rich and that bass... but still with a clear sounding high register that wasn't at all shrill, but soft on the ears and pleasant to listen to.
Just wow.
After trying that one nothing sounded as good, especially not the guitars within my planned budget. Not even worth buying.
I had to leave the store to think about this.
You were fortunate to have an instant bonding experience, and if you have the cash it would probably be wise to grab it while you can. On the side of caution, it would also make sense to play a few more D28s in stores and see if they can replicate the moment of joy. If not then there might be a sense of urgency to get "the one". But if they are all fairly similar for you, then you can take your time to save up or look for a great used one. Anyway, no one else can tell you if you found a special one, or if it's just one of many ... you have to find that out yourself quickly.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:40 PM

take a guitar playing friend with you to help evaluate a couple d-28s. you play them then your friend plays them. then go home and think about it as well as do some research on pricing of them.

that will inform you as to what to do. good luck.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-20-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluvius View Post
Tldr: how do I tell a good d-28 from a bad one? Am I throwing pearls for swine if I get one as my second guitar?

Hey,

I haven't played the acoustic guitar for very long, about 3-4 years experience with my Yamaha C40. I play almost every day and I love it.

Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember and I have a history of playing other instruments.

Now I'm looking to upgrade to a good quality, steel stringed guitar. I started looking at a budget of 500-1000$, which I thought was reasonable considering my lack of experience and proficiency.
First I ordered a Seagull Artist Mosaic online. Stupid, but none my local stores could provide one for testing at the time. When it finally showed up I was extatic.
Until I played it.
It wasn't at all what I was expecting.
Very bright sounding, kinda thin, and to me just not very pleasant to listen to.
It was also damaged...

I ended up returning it and headed to a local store to try out their inventory.
Partly to find a sound i enjoyed and partly to see if I could hear any difference between the guitars.
They were Yamahas, Taylors, Martins and Gibsons of various prices.
I quickly realized that the difference was huge and very audible to me.

Then I picked up the Martin d-28. Just to try it out, because really, Im too new to spend that kind of cash... Right?

But WOW... I was blown away by that sound!! So powerful, rich and that bass... but still with a clear sounding high register that wasn't at all shrill, but soft on the ears and pleasant to listen to.
Just wow.
After trying that one nothing sounded as good, especially not the guitars within my planned budget. Not even worth buying.
I had to leave the store to think about this.

I've been dreaming about that sound all week. It's the last thing I think about when I fall asleep and the first thing when I wake up. Coming back to my C40 feels terrible.

Should I get it? I HAVE the money even if I could (probably should if you ask my wife ) spend it on something else.
And if I do... Aren't there good and bad d-28s?
I've certainly read that there are and I'm worried I won't recognize a flawed specimen. I don't want to spend thousands on a guitar that others recognize as sub-par, and which I will realize in a few years doesn't compare to other d-28s.

It sounds magnificent to me, but should I trust my inexperienced ears? How do I test the guitar to see if it's good, what do I listen for? Could I go wrong with a d-28?
Your ears, your decision. Rest assured they will change in time as will the guitar that best suits them.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:43 PM

You don't mention whether you have the opportunity to play several examples of a D28 or just the one. Always good to have something to compare it to. The D28 really is the iconic Martin model and will hold its value very well. You might also want to try a D18 or a smaller body OOO or OM version of a 28 series. If you keep coming back to the original D28 - and you have the financial ability to buy it - go ahead. Playing a great guitar with a great sound is very motivating. As others have said these instruments are often better than our ability to play them but that should not stop us from buying and enjoying them.

Current Inventory:

Martin 000-18 - Golden Era
Martin 000-42
Martin D Jr.
Martin 000-15SM
Bourgeois JOM
M J Franks 000
Old 02-21-2019, 03:41 PM

Thanks once again for all the helpful advice, and also for the very warm welcome to the forum.

Today I played dozens of guitars at two different stores. I tried Blueridge, Sigma, Taylor, Eastman, Furch, Gibson, Yamaha and Martin acoustics, among which were HD28's and D28's. Tried the Martin Travel series too. Then I went back to the D28 from last week. It was still exceptional, even if there were some strong competitors.

I was impressed by the sound of the Furch D24, didn't expect it to be that good.

In the end I narrowed it down to:
- The Martin D-28.
- A blonde Taylor 618e, great bass and great sound even if it was very different from the Martin.
- A used Gibson Songbird 1999. Affordable with a great sound.

Superhard choice, but in the end I picked the model I had researched most and knew the price-range of. It was also the easiest to play and to me it had the best sound.

So here's the beauty.

https://ibb.co/7gPLPjP

Thanks for all the support, now I´m off strumming.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! Looks like you picked wisely, and hope it brings you countless hours of happy playing.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:07 PM

Well done. An iconic Martin always serves well.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

You chose wisely. Always trust your gut and it's really hard to go wrong when you choose an iconic guitar like yours. Now play it until your fingers bleed and then play it some more.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-21-2019, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

(EDIT:"I wrote this before realizing you had pulled the trigger, so now Congratulations. My first comments still hold though").
I very much agree with most responders that it's very low risk to buy a D-28 especially if it's from a reputable independent (non-big box) retailer. Guitars are generally taken better care of at smaller shops that deal in high quality instruments, and the service will be better. If it's new, you'll have the added peace of mind of Martin's warranty and Martins hold their value if you do decide to part ways down the road. I often wish I had purchased a D-28 many years ago and kept it alongside to grow old with me (in addition to my wife). Those of us who have been playing for decades and have owned many guitars often overdo the nit-picking about changes in braces or neck profiles, even headstock logos, etc. The D-28 is a rock solid icon and if you can swing it financially I'd go for it!
Old 02-22-2019, 01:11 AM

Congratulations, I went through a similar process 6 yrs ago of trying a few here & there over a few weeks but kinda knowing in my head the D-28 I kept hovering around and was using as a benchmark to judge the others had my name written all over it.

I have no doubt it is my lifer after all this time and it may be the same for you with your new prize. May you & your guitar enjoy many years of playing together. Nice pic. Cheers

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 02-22-2019, 09:28 AM

Enjoy your new guitar. You have picked a very nice one that you can play and enjoy the rest of your life.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion