The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-18-2019, 06:18 PM

Default Taking First Lesson Tomorrow

I am taking my first lesson tomorrow. Looking forward to this. I hope this guy can help me. I really do want to be able to play the guitar, that would just be so cool.

He told me it would last 30 minutes and the first 10 minutes he would talk to me. He also told me that he wouldn't necessarily show me chords but rather he could show me things that would help me to learn to play chords better/easier.

All this sound normal to you maestros out there?

r/Mike
Old 02-18-2019, 06:37 PM

he wants to know what you do and don't know. also tell him what you want to learn otherwise it may be mary had a little lamb. do some stretching exercises of your shoulders, arms, wrists and fingers prior. you'll notice a difference.

you'll probably eventually move to an hour.

above all- have fun!!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-18-2019, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Start with how to hold the guitar. Seriously.

Then give yourself five years. Enjoy the journey.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:42 PM

Best investment you could make...if he is the right teacher for you. Some guys can play but not teach very well..it all depends. Your learning pace will be yours...not mine, not his, yours. Dont be discouraged it can get pretty frustrating. It will not happen overnight and there will be times when it seems there is no progress at all. Thats normal, happens to all of us. If it gets too much give it a rest for a few days, when you pick it back up sometimes you will be surprised how much you learned and dont realize it. Lots of muscle memory involved so it takes time to sink in. Lots more I can say but dont want to bore you.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:51 AM

I've been playing a few years. Learned from internet sites. But! All I can do right now is chord. I'm working on trying to "pick" chords. It's almost as slow and frustrating as when I started chording. But, as said above. Its all about repetition and muscle memory. And if you're uncoordinated and have no rhythm... like me... well, it just takes longer.

I remember sitting with the guitar in my hands on my lap watching TV all evening. Not doing anything until a commercial came on, then I would work on my chords. But I was pretty serious about wanting to learn it so I always had it nearby. Easier to do when you are retired!

Hardest thing ever for me was to start strumming. I would do one strum and stop. Confidence, coordination, lack of rhythm etc. Finally, one day when nobody was around, I took two strums, looked around, then did it again. A miracle! I aint good, but I get lots of satisfaction (unlike the Stones).

Keep at it and it will happen. Lots of people play. You can too!
Taylor T5Z
Big Muddy Mandolin-Ziricote b&s
Old 02-19-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post

+1.

Good luck!
Old 02-19-2019, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

That’s great! Let us know how it goes. And keep in mind that teachers vary quite a bit in experience and approach. Most importantly, a good teacher will motivate a student and will want to know what your goals are and will want to help you move in that direction. Don’t be afraid to be curious and ask questions too.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post

Good advice.

Best wishes to you. Have fun!
Old 02-20-2019, 02:25 PM

Lesson went okay. Some of the stuff he showed me I already knew. He talked about patience and how the improvement curve depends on how much you practice. 15 minutes a day, 3-4 times a week or 2-3 hours a day, everyday will yield different results.

He also showed me how to hold the guitar with the strap - which I was doing wrong.

And he gave me a couple of chords to work on - G & C. He told me to practice them and try and get them down as quickly as you can. Which so far is extremely difficult for me.

r/Mike
Old 02-20-2019, 02:46 PM

great that you feel he already helped you.

always the hardest part is pressing steel down on wood with flesh. what gives? flesh. only press down until you get a good clean sound-no harder. muscle memory is what entitles you to go back and forth-C to G and back.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-20-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey#1 View Post
Lesson went okay. Some of the stuff he showed me I already knew. He talked about patience and how the improvement curve depends on how much you practice. 15 minutes a day, 3-4 times a week or 2-3 hours a day, everyday will yield different results.

He also showed me how to hold the guitar with the strap - which I was doing wrong.

And he gave me a couple of chords to work on - G & C. He told me to practice them and try and get them down as quickly as you can. Which so far is extremely difficult for me.

r/Mike

Good going. Sounds like you have enough to work on for the time being. And by going to a teacher, you got a valuable correction about how to hold the guitar. That’s worth the price of the lesson right there. Let us know how you get along.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey#1 View Post

r/Mike
You can do this, Mike. We all started at the same place. There is nothing natural about pressing your fingers down in strange positions, it takes lots of time, patience and perseverance. Improvement will be slow but steady if you practice the same way. This isn't multiple choice, so cramming every week before your lesson won't cut it
Old 02-20-2019, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

I will echo what reeve21 said. Dont worry if it’s slow going, and prepare for sore fingers if you haven’t built callouses. It will get easier!
Old 02-20-2019, 04:04 PM

Very normal that it feels extremely difficult right now. You’ll be surprised at your progress in a few months. Not only does the lack of calluses make it painful, you are teaching your fingers to position themselves in ways that feel unnatural and awkward. Keep at it, it gets better.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 02-20-2019, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
You can do this, Mike. We all started at the same place. There is nothing natural about pressing your fingers down in strange positions, it takes lots of time, patience and perseverance. Improvement will be slow but steady if you practice the same way. This isn't multiple choice, so cramming every week before your lesson won't cut it
That's right and some great advice. Have fun and keep it up. You've got this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write