The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2019, 11:20 PM

Default Di Giorgio 1978 No. 16 - Value?

I am considering purchasing a Di Giorgio 1978 No. 16 - Signorina. Solid Cedar Top - yes, this one is apparently solid. Solid rosewood back and sides.

What's your view on a fair value?

And would you know if there is really a solid cedar top version of #16 made in 1978?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2019, 09:28 AM

Hello there, I'll be glad to help you out.

Di Giorgio is a Brazilian brand, it still exists nowadays and it's got a reputation among many here in Brazil as the best guitar maker in the country. If I can remember it well, from 2000 on they started importing their guitars from China and sticking a Di Giorgio logo upon arrival.

The golden era of Do Giorgio is the 60s. If you ever get one from that decade you can be sure it was a great deal.

But 70s or 80s were not their best moments, so looking at a 1978 there are pretty good chances it's a nice, but not superb, guitar.

Now about the Signorina 16. As the name states, in Italian, Signorina means "Lady". The guitar was designed for "ladies and youngsters", so you should expect a reduced body size there. But not in the scale or nut, those being standard 650mm and 52mm each.

It's a student model guitar, entry level, so I can assure you it doesn't have a solid top. Nor did its "brother", the Estudante no 18. You only get solid tops from number 38 on.

It depends a lot on the price you'll be paying for it. If you're into older guitars and it's not steep, go for it. But I wouldn't expect much from it.

Here in Brazil there's absolutely nothing special about this guitar, it's commonly found in used guitar sales and price ranging from r$100 to r$300 depending on condition. That's in reais currency, which you divide about 4 to get the conversion to dollars. It would be about 25-80 so if you're being asked more than that, there's room for bargaining.

I wish I could tell you it's a fantastic guitar or a rare piece and etc, but I'm afraid it isn't. It's a fine guitar, a good beater and great as a travel guitar due to its reduced size.

Any pics of it?

Hope it helps. If you need any more advice please ask.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:37 AM

Oh, and I forgot to mention: no way its a solid cedar top nor rosewood back and sides.

Most Brazilian guitars from that era and grade are laminate pine or spruce tops and "pau ferro", also laminate, back and sides.

The Signorina no 16 is no exception.

You can find some of these entry level guitars which were not mass produced, actually handmade by luthiers at Di Giorgio. Maybe they were the ones they used as models for the workers to try and make as similar as possible.

These have a label inside written "Serie Ouro Violoes de Alta Classe" meaning "Gold Series High Class Guitars". And there should be a signature too.

If you could post a picture of the guitar and mostl specifically the label I can help be more accurate.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:44 AM

I bought this one about 5 years ago for $115.00 and sold it about 2 years later for $100.00. Don't know what model number it was or when it was made.

DiGiorgio (1).jpg DiGiorgio (7).jpg
Old 02-20-2019, 01:31 PM

Do you have a picture of the label inside? I'm almost sure it's either a Estudante no.18 or a Classico no.28.

My bet is on the Classico no 28 because of the rosette. If it is, it's probably from the 80s, when these were more common. Later on the 28 was discontinued.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion