The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-08-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Taylor/Yamaha Auditions today...

Happened to be close to a local music store and had a some time to burn so I finally got to check out the new Taylor Grand Pacific's (517 &717) and the Yamaha FGX5. While both Taylors surprised me with their departure from what I consider "True Taylor" voicing I was most taken by the 517 Builders Edition. I'll probably go back and play it again. Of course neck set and setup were spot on in usual Taylor fashion. But it didn't sound like Taylors I've tried in the past. It had a different more (can I use the term "vintage" in the same sentence?) voicing that I was totally not expecting. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

That being said...the Yamaha FGX5 was the one I was (and still am) seriously considering. I didn't try it plugged in to hear what the new "Atmosfeel" pickup sounded like but unplugged it just took me back to my early days of playing. I'm sure a lot of us may have started out on a Yamaha and it sure reminded me of those early days.

Anyway...it was an enjoyable way to spend an hour or so trying several new guitars. Glad I got to try the new Taylor GP's. Don't know that I'm smitten by them but they're sure a lot more to my liking than previously tried Taylors.
The Yamaha FGX5 however haunts me. Something about that one that just seems right somehow. Maybe it's pure nostalgia?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-08-2019, 11:56 AM

I have been trying to sell my 317e and am very interested in the FGX5 so this thread is right up my ally. So I already know what a 317, 517 and 717 sound and feel like. Can you explain the difference between them and the Yamaha as far as sound a feel? What makes you like the FGX5 so much? Is the sound on the FGX5 boomier than the Taylors? Is is comparable in how it plays or is it easier to play than the Taylors? I can picture the Yamaha as having a nice rich tone with deeper basses and beautiful chords. I want a strummer. I am seriously considering the FGX5 without even playing one which is scary to me since I bought my last two Taylors after playing them and then later decided I wasn't crazy about them.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 10-08-2019, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

I really didn't get to spend as much time A/B-ing the 517 and FGX5 but yes the Yamaha is a fuller richer sounding guitar to me. In part probably to their design differences. I wasn't using a pick but fingerpicking mostly bare flesh. The 517 had a more refined voice and the FGX5 was somewhat raw...maybe between a DSS-17 and a D-18...basically less refined. That may not sound good but it really is. Both guitars have a satin finish which I really like. The neck profiles weren't that different as I recall but I was really concentrating on listening to them more than anything else. I know the minute I pick up a guitar if the neck and I are going to get along and I found both the Taylor and Yamaha were fine for me. I know that Sweetwater has a bunch of Red label Yamaha's in I believe mid October. They do have a liberal return policy.
I don't know if these new Yamaha are as consistent build wise as the Taylors seem to be. The Yamaha I played today had a slightly underset neck. Not enough to be problematic however. And upon closer inspection wasn't as bad as I originally thought. The only thing I wasn't overly wild about was the wooden pick guard. Mostly just ascetics as it wasn't a problem and I'm sure does it's job just fine. One other thing to note...the scale length on the FGX5 is 25". So closer to what Martin calls short scale at 24.9" but not quite. Still it was very comfortable to play and felt more like standard scale to me?
I think it would make a fine strummer or flat picker or fingerpicker. The setup on the one I played was actually pretty close to the Taylor. And certainly comfortable enough action for me. And finally...like I said earlier...it's part nostalgia. Having started out playing a Yamaha. Like coming "full circle" kind of? Hope it works out for you...

Last edited by llew; 10-08-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Happened to be close to a local music store and had a some time to burn so I finally got to check out the new Taylor Grand Pacific's (517 &717) and the Yamaha FGX5. While both Taylors surprised me with their departure from what I consider "True Taylor" voicing I was most taken by the 517 Builders Edition. I'll probably go back and play it again. Of course neck set and setup were spot on in usual Taylor fashion. But it didn't sound like Taylors I've tried in the past. It had a different more (can I use the term "vintage" in the same sentence?) voicing that I was totally not expecting. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

That being said...the Yamaha FGX5 was the one I was (and still am) seriously considering. I didn't try it plugged in to hear what the new "Atmosfeel" pickup sounded like but unplugged it just took me back to my early days of playing. I'm sure a lot of us may have started out on a Yamaha and it sure reminded me of those early days.

Anyway...it was an enjoyable way to spend an hour or so trying several new guitars. Glad I got to try the new Taylor GP's. Don't know that I'm smitten by them but they're sure a lot more to my liking than previously tried Taylors.
The Yamaha FGX5 however haunts me. Something about that one that just seems right somehow. Maybe it's pure nostalgia?
How'd you convince them to take them off the wall? Did they need a ladder?
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 10-08-2019, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

The two Taylors were up on the wall but the Yamaha was in the back room. They were very nice and accommodating. I know...we've both experienced completely different situations in there. But today was very pleasant. The woman I was working with (Tammy) was willing to let me play whatever I wanted to. A nice change for sure!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion