The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-11-2013, 08:10 PM

Classical Gas. Saw Mason Williams on Ed Sullivan, and it knocked me out.

(Yes, I am old).
Old 11-11-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Classical Gas. Saw Mason Williams on Ed Sullivan, and it knocked me out.

(Yes, I am old).
OK, this would be another piece that inspired me too!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:58 AM
Charter Member

For me it wasn't a song, it was Segovia playing 'Andaluza' - it's remained a favourite of mine.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

I too am old (LOL) and was first smitten by the sound of nylon strings when I heard Carlos Montoya on Ed Sullivan's TV show. Wow!

As for the reference earlier to Fingerstyle magazine, I have repeatedly tried to subscribe to that through the web site and all I get is an error page. Are they now defunct, out of business, DOA?

Dave
Old 11-12-2013, 04:26 PM

Interesting question for me because I can't place my finger on where exactly I decided to switch from primarily "fiddle tune flackpicking" to nylon string classical style.
Maybe it was upon hearing Chet Atkins playing Irving Berlin's "Cheek To Cheek" on nylon string on Prairie Home Companion in early 90s. I somehow happened upon the tab for that arrangement and learned it on my neglected nylon string. Today I still get more of a reaction from listeners when I play Chet's arrangement of C2C, although I play more complex things on a higher level, without as much reaction. Whatever. So maybe gotta credit Chet, ironically so, as he is originally known for playing the Gretch electric.

Last edited by FrankHS; 11-12-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
As for the reference earlier to Fingerstyle magazine, I have repeatedly tried to subscribe to that through the web site and all I get is an error page. Are they now defunct, out of business, DOA?

Dave
I had a 6-month subscription in 2007, but the organization seemed to fall apart, and my last issues came months late. They appeared to try to get off the ground again a year or so later, but they floundered again. It's a real pity - the idea was excellent, and the magazine well received. The tabs in some of the issues I got were great because they included such a diversity of material. You could have one classical piece by someone like Douglas Niedt alongside some Travis-picking by Thom Bresh. I haven't checked in with Fingerstye Magazine for years because, quite frankly, they couldn't seem to get their act together.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Honestly, it was Ennio Morricone and various spaghetti western soundtracks. They don't emphasize classical guitar but me being a primarily electric guitarist at the time, it drew me into all types of classical stylings.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:30 PM

Hi everyone,

La Catedral of Agustin Barrios played by John Willians. Deeply touch my soul and makes me trust in the human race.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:49 PM

I was playing electric and acoustic guitar for about 5 years when my girl friends mom got rid of her record player and all her records, we took them. There was a Segovia record among Bream, and a few other players at the time. It was Segovia playing 3 short dance pieces simply called Pavanas that turned me on. Louis Milan, and Gaspar Sans, can't remember the other one now.

The delicate intricacies and emotional appeal just blew me away.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:12 PM

Classical Soul by Oscar Lopez.
http://stevehung.bandcamp.com
Old 11-27-2013, 05:53 PM

Red face

For me it was mostly mechanical- a long time ago I broke two fingers on my left hand bicycle racing. when I started playing guitar later in llife, I first got a steel string because I always liked the sound.

At first I could hardly finger anything on it, so I eventually got a classical for the wider spacing in hopes that I could play that better. It helped, but then shortly after that in the mid-90's I discovered I could take a classical guitar course at L.A. city College for only $30 a semester- hardly more than a single private lesson.

So I went there for several semesters every Saturday morning where I got my real start, I found I took to reading for guitar better than for piano and been playing since.

But the talk of Mason Williams and Classical Gas above is also relevant here. I LOVED the song, and since my hobby was Super 8 film in the early 70's I HAD to use it for some film background.

I did this film in college, and had the song synched up with a reel to reel tape deck when I showed the film- this is only the final end part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivQx1DhgO7Q

Petty well worn now- and the track is from a 45 and the original 1/4" reel to reel and then dubbed onto vhs and then caputured to digital and downloaded to youtube so it's not the best audio.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:52 PM

I can't really play in the Classical style. I was taken as a 9 year old to see Brazil 66 with Astrid Gilberto. They played 'Girl From Ipanema', I was hooked on the nylon classical sound.
Later I listened to many spaghetti western nylon guitar songs/movies/soundtracks, and hear those reverb drenched tones in my head a lot.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
For me, it was Douglas Niedt playing "Away in a Manger" for Fingerstyle Magazine in 2007. I thought it was beautiful and wanted to learn it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
I heard him perform in person a few years ago. It was WONDERFUL. He is a fabulous guitar player.
Doug was my teacher. He is a great teacher, as well.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:12 AM

I'd have to say it was the intro to Farewell to Kings by Rush, that got me started. It's all Alex Lifeson's fault.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:58 PM

I also love Bach's music, an awesome feeling every time I listen

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical