The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-23-2018, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Default Tips for busking?

I'm not sure if this is the right subforum for this, so feel free to move it if needed.

I am thinking of starting busking at a local Farmer's Market this summer. It is held at a small historic park with lots of nice big oaks to sit under out of the heat. I'm in Texas and temps can get rather high this time of year. I am presently planning to use my Rainsong CF guitar, Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge (battery amp), and a couple of vocal pedals that also run off of batteries. I have a Shure SM58 mic and stand, and a stool.

I would first get permission and a permit if required since it is a municipal park.

Since I have no experience with busking, what are the pitfalls I need to watch out for? I'll bring extra batteries for the pedals and a screwdriver so I can change them. Anything else?

How many songs/how long should I play?

Should I just pick what I like to play, or do I need to tailor it for this particular audience? Do I have to learn newer songs, or are older songs okay?

I'm not too concerned about making money. I really just want to become confident in playing in front of others. Do I need a tip jar or should I just not worry over tips?

Any tips for not being too nervous? I'll practice my songs, but nerves will probably be an issue, at least for the first few songs.

What do you do if you forget a line or make a mistake? Do you engage anyone who listens? In other words, if someone stops to listen do you say hi and thanks for stopping by?

I guess just any tips would be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:04 PM

As far as picking songs you like to play versus songs you think the general public would like to hear...it's a complete crapshoot, man. The first time I went busking I started with tunes by CCR, Cat Stevens, Skynyrd, Pink Floyd....just, you know....univerasally beloved songs. Barely got any money or listeners.

Then I said screw it and noodled around, and started playing an acoustic version of Kiss From a Rose by Seal. Got like...over 10 bucks by the time the song was over and a few people had stopped to listen. I didn't even notice the money or the crowd cause I was closing my eyes a lot, really into the vocals and into the song.

Just goes to show...sometimes playing something people DON'T expect and playing it with passion will gather more interest.

Bring enough material for 2 or 3 hours of playing to make it more worth your while and to account for various interruptions in your playing between songs.

As far as what to do with listeners and all the questions about interacting you asked...if you're worried about that, get a buddy to go with you. I used to bring my buddy with me and he'd half sing along/half solicit money in a sly way by just making banter with the passing audience and the people who gathered. He wasn't even a musician but his presence definitely helped lol I didn't even ask him to come. We were both broke and I said I'm gonna go busk, see if I can get any beer money. He kinda just tagged along but ended up being instrumental in making my first foray into busking successful/more laid back. Ended up splitting the case of beer with him!

Don't overthink it, my friend. Just play songs you are comfortable with, throw **** out there and see what sticks. Listen for that thump and jangle into the guitar case during your set, and the songs you were playing when you heard that beautiful little sound...keep in your set list.

You can just acknowledge people with a nice smile or a nod if you want. There is no book written about this...if people want to engage you in a little conversation after the songs (that will happen) just light-heartedly go along with it and give off the most positive vibes you can while doing it.

Best of luck my friend. Remember...this isn't an audition for Carnegie Hall. Have fun with it!

Last edited by Static; 06-23-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:21 PM

Noticed your tag of Tyler, Tx, was there once in the late 60's, I was just a kid but remember it being one of the prettiest towns I've ever seen. My parents drove us out there for the rose festival. Hope it has kept it charm.

Went into the city last night, met my daughter and attended a musical with her at the university. As we neared the entrance of the venue there was a busker out front that had drawn a huge crowd. The guy appeared to be homeless, judging from attire and overall appearance, was playing an old Sigma guitar that was covered with stickers. He was sitting on his gig bag, I guess his arse was too boney for the wall he was on. Had only a filthy old hat laying out for tips and it was overflowing. His technique wasn't anything special, his voice not that good, but man, he was 100% entertainer. In his case, the set up was nothing, it was all delivery.

No real advice there, just an observation.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:25 PM

Check with the farmer's market as well. They already have a permit for their event there and the farmer's markets I've played over the years pay their performers. If someone showed up unscheduled they may be opposed to it. Otherwise, do what you do and see what happens. Then adjust as necessary.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
Don't overthink it, my friend. ... Have fun with it!
Yep, this.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:28 PM

Play what you feel and love.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone! I'll try to get everything straightened out with the Farmer's Market and the town before I do anything.

I'm also just going to kind of flow with it and see what happens.

Tyler is a nice town but it has grown a LOT since the 60s! I actually live in Lindale, which is the town Miranda Lambert is from. It's fairly small, with a smaller Farmer's Market, so it'll be a lot less crowded.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:38 AM
Charter Member

Have fun!

Learn a few hours of songs.

Audience banter is awesome and comes with time. Don’t worry about forcing it. A simple thanks for applause is perfect until then.

Three tip jars! One called General Tips. One called Tips for Requests. One for Tips to STOP playing a particular song.

Have fun... folks who stop or gather are nice. You will enjoy it.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:44 AM

Once you get the technical/administrative part out of the way, just go there and have a good time. Our experience has been rather positive around the grocery store scene. We will be doing a Farmer's Market soon as well. We made more money in tips at one grocery store than we got paid at a couple of gigs we have done. Just relax and play. People think you know what your doing even if you don't. Be friendly and engage people at every opportunity. Have a tip jar in plain sight. Tell people if they are enjoying the music feel free to throw some money in the tip jar. Don't be bashful. Make sure you put a couple of bucks in the jar so they can see it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-24-2018, 06:48 AM

Favorite line from a busker is SF:

“I’ve gotten a lot of requests, but i’m gonna keep playing anyway!”

I agree with the advice to make the set unique. No wonderwall!
Old 06-25-2018, 07:28 AM

At farmers markets, people are there to buy food and products, so generally, no one is going to hang out listening to you for more than a few minutes. that means you can repeat songs - but remember that any vendors WILL be there all day and WILL hear you repeating songs. I have a friend who does a 'tour' of farmers markets in the area each summer, playing at each one no more than 2 times. He has some songs that 'vegetable oriented' and also does songs where he mentions the vendors/farms that are there.
A fairly large and conspicuous tip jar will be better than using an open guitar case as a breeze could whip bills out of a case.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-25-2018, 07:51 AM

Neil Young and Buddy Holly tunes.

Can't go wrong!
Old 06-25-2018, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

''What do you do if you forget a line or make a mistake?''

Since nobody else answered his; just keep going forward. If you forget the works fake it. Mistake, ignore it, it will sound like improvisation.

Good luck! Have fun!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion