The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2024, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
How a guitar sounds is pretty much controlled by the operator.......If a particular guitar inspires THAT operator to play more soulfully, then it is the results of that chemistry....HE
So true. As noted in other threads, Nick Drake (late60's/early70's) had a "dull" guitar tone that his fans tirelessly analyze and "chase". It fit his style, music (and soul?) perfectly. Many feel that besides his technique (and the guitar itself) he used old "dead" strings that most of us would have changed out. So much of the tone really is in the hands/fingers -and mind- of the player.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

you said it has a wonderful sound\

but you said people like the Yairi sound better

but you said the Wan has more feeling

this all makes no sense and its a silly circular discussion. If it sounds better people will like the sound better. "Feeling" is not a sound.

It sounds more like you are trying to come to terms with the fact that you like this one better.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-25-2024, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
How a guitar sounds is pretty much controlled by the operator.

If a particular guitar inspires THAT operator to play more soulfully, then it is the results of that chemistry.

HE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
So true. As noted in other threads, Nick Drake (late60's/early70's) had a "dull" guitar tone that his fans tirelessly analyze and "chase". It fit his style, music (and soul?) perfectly. Many feel that besides his technique (and the guitar itself) he used old "dead" strings that most of us would have changed out. So much of the tone really is in the hands/fingers -and mind- of the player.
I agree to a point, since experienced/soulful players can caress profoundly beautiful sounds from some really cheap/mediocre/abused instruments. It's not exactly unique. Rather, it's an inescapable feedback loop (touch/hearing/technique adjustments) that we all develop to varying degrees (more or less automatic on-the-fly) over years/decades of playing.

While I can note subtle differences in 3 of my 4 acoustics (and a dozen others that friends let me play), I also have a crusty old Silvertone (circa 1960s) that possesses a special boxy/gruff tone all its own. Imagine a human voice steeped in Chesterfields and bourbon for half a century, perhaps not unlike Lauren Bacall's (with maybe a touch of Randy Newman's congested honk). It's undeniably cool, eliciting praise from everyone who hears it.

There is absolutely nothing I can do to make it sound like any other guitar or vice-versa. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited by tinnitus; 03-25-2024 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:47 AM

My limited experience: The sound is from the guitar, the expression is from the player.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

I have a POS arch top department store arch top I fixed up. It does a certain I'm poorer than dirt thing none of my good guitars will do.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-26-2024, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I have a POS arch top department store arch top I fixed up. It does a certain I'm poorer than dirt thing none of my good guitars will do.
That I can believe! The timbre of a cheap archtop can be incredibly expressive. I wish that someone was still making dirt cheap acoustic archtops. Godin has stopped producing the 5th Avenue acoustic version and no one has taken up the baton.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
No, but guitars with less sustain and fewer overtones tend to be more expressive. That's why they're popular for blues.
Interesting. I generally have the opposite experience.

I would think the Yamaha in this video would be described as having substantial overtones and sustain, and I think the playing is very expressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6x7QjEvFf8
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-26-2024, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
no one has taken up the baton.
Fender are still producing the Gretsch New Yorker, no? Probably a better acoustic instrument in the sense that it has a solid top AFAIK but it should be in the same price range.

I had a cheap laminate round-hole German archtop for a while that my mom had kept stored right under the roof for over 40 years. Very bad shape and hard to play but hearing myself on it was a bit like listening to an old Robert Johnson recording (minus the talent of course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
Interesting. I generally have the opposite experience.
Blues can be weird in that aspect, if we're thinking about delta/rootsy blues where resonators are so well at their place. Those do have overtones but at the same time a definite lofi sound, and extensive palm-muting is an integral part of the technique despite the fact that resos tend to have a shorter sustain.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 03-26-2024, 09:09 AM

I once taught a course of basic control theory and used examples from different areas of life, one was using car engines. Say you have a regular grocery getter (GG) , you want a nice even acceleration from a stoplight to highway speeds. Now compare that to a race car (RC), rather than having a torque curve of momma's car you have the engine tuned to make the most power, period. The engine idles rough, makes power in a higher rpm band, grandma will stall out at the stop light (if she could engage the clutch) but a RC driver will have an exhilarating ride round the track.

The GG has a wider rpm range, the RC having a big hump of power in a narrow range. Relating that to a guitar, the GG will have a wide frequency response and the attack and decay are well behaved. Then you have a guitar that is more highly tuned, the resonant peaks are higher, you get increased output with the strings ringing out more. The added "aliveness" comes at a cost, some of the low or high end could be reduced. But the range it has just sings. We are not talking a plywood guitar here, this is a luthier built guitar made to be a race horse, every ounce of fat removed to the point he questioned the longevity of the instrument. The smaller box shaves off some bass but the reduction in range has the string energy barking in the range it has. So the guitar can sound "worse", but still a blast to play. The player may have to be more careful with muting strings as they are more likely to ring in sympathetic resonance.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
How a guitar sounds is pretty much controlled by the operator.

If a particular guitar inspires THAT operator to play more soulfully, then it is the results of that chemistry.

HE
Ding ding ding winner

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-26-2024, 10:26 AM
Runaway Tomato

A guitar’s sound quality is in the ear of the beholder. It really comes down to a matter of personal taste.
Former AGF Moderator

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion