The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2024, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Give me a good old cheap Fender thin pick. If I lose it or it breaks, no big deal. I wouldn't know what to do with a $30 boutique pick....
My favorite pick for a long time. Tried some more expensive ones based on discussion here. But, always come back to the thin.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

I just keep coming back to Dunlop gels and I’ve tried about everything. I seem to be the only one so I hope they don’t quit making them.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 03-24-2024, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Fender Mediums for 56 years and counting!
Old 03-25-2024, 04:07 AM

After a AGF fueled pick journey through various materials including casein I circled back to celluloid. I go back and fourth between a standard teardrop shape in extra heavy and some very heavy Golden Gate picks that are rounded. I have Fender, Dunlop, and recently tried Pick Boy from Japan. I can also get along with Delrin and Nylon.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:17 AM

I have some JB celluloids that I play. The new guitar, a 00 cutaway in all koa really likes those picks. Theyre warm and smooth on that guitar. My D18 sounds best with Blue Chips. I played Red Bears for years, and now dont like them much. I hear a chirp with them that I wasnt aware of for years....

Last edited by Drewski; 03-25-2024 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:25 PM

I have 3-4 Vespel (Bluechip and CL), wood, and all kinds of others, including Walrus tusk. Too many.

But...I use Celluloid mostly: Fender .52 thickness which is between a thin and medium (I sand down a medium). Although I'm getting tired of sanding, and recently found that Pickboy carries .50 celluloid, so I'm going to try those.

I also sometimes use a Herco thumbpick, which is also celluloid but the material seems very different - more durable, and shiny. Almost like they put some type of finish on the celluloid.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 03-25-2024, 03:35 PM

I've not used my celluloid Fender picks since I switched to Dunlop Primetones.

I get the same sound from the Primetones and they lasts way, way longer than the Fenders (like almost infinitely longer).

I wouldn't mind using celluloid picks at all; they're just more expensive than the Primetones due to their short lifespan.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:57 PM

Fender celluloid - typical medium, but heavy fine too. To this day I love all of the different colors they offer, too. Some things never change.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoga View Post
Does anyone here use Celluloid anymore?
Only heroes.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:43 PM

Fender 351 Extra Heavy celluloid, always and on everything (guitar, banjo, mandolin, ukulele) since 1991. And before that, it was the same shape in Heavy. The only time I have used anything else is when I can’t find them retail in my preferred gauge. Because of that, I went through a brief period using the red Dunlop Jazz III, but I quickly got back to my usual picks.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Celluloid? Somehow there's a Kinks song playing on in head....

I used an 351 Fender Extra Heavy for electric and sometimes for acoustic for years. As I've mentioned in other threads, I've become nutty about picks in my old age and often go through 2 or 3 before I think "Yes, this one today" when playing something. I'll still use that old standby, though I'm most often using a 346 sized pick nowadays made of other materials.

I've also mostly moved over to beveled picks, often a Primetone. The old Fenders would get bevels from playing after quite a bit of playing. I like the one casein pick type I have, which is unbeveled, but the natural "slickness" of that material to the string seems to have some of the same benefits as a bevel.

For someone who likes celluloid and doesn't want to do their own bevel, or wait for a bevel to form "naturally," they could try the Fender F Grip Picks. Sweetwater has them in 351, 346, and 551 shapes.

Fender F grip picks

This is a thick pick (1.5 mm) that sounds a bit thinner, made in a Oreo sandwich manner. The middle "filling" sticks out give the effect of slight bevel, a little greater than just a round over, but nowhere as large as other bevels. I haven't had mine long enough to know how it'll wear over time, but it's an interesting pick and the grip function from the side that has the F logo also works well as a grip aid.

If you're a Fender Medium kind of player, this pick won't likely work for you. If you've played a Fender Heavy or Extra Heavy, this is a bit stiffer than an extra heavy and sounds a little closer to a heavy.
Great somg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion