The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-16-2020, 01:08 PM

Default iPad Streaming Apps?

I’m looking for recommendations to stream to Facebook (AGF OMG) and other platforms like YouTube. It appears that the hardware in my 2020 iPad Pro 11 is better than my laptop in terms of video encoding and audio latency. The key feature that I am looking for is the ability to broadcast in B&W. Any suggestions?
Old 05-18-2020, 08:28 PM

I've looked and can't find anything. IPads are frustrating that way.

As far as the iPad Pro goes, I have the previous generation and I am really impressed. I can do multiple tracks of 4k video with color correction and transitions, previewing at high resolution, and the iPad Pro just glides through it, even with a complex codec.

My i7 Windows machine can't begin to do that. I have to use optimized codecs, preview at reduced resolution, render transitions or use proxies. My PC editor has more functions, but the performance efficiency isn't even close!

The processor is way faster in the 2020 model. It was already screaming!
Old 05-19-2020, 01:42 PM

Laurence,

You've confirmed my satisfaction with the hardware, and my fears about the software! Thanks again!

The new iPad Pro is a great machine and super fast with A/V tasks compared the the i7 10th gen machine I got for work. My main engineering laptop died as I went into quarantine, so I had to settle for a quick ship unit. The laptop has IrisPlus graphics and they just cannot keep up. I had to drop down to 720p 30fps this weekend on Zoom. A new laptop should be able to stream at 1080p-60fps.

I have another computer on order for work with 8-core i7 and a GTX1650. But, it seems ridiculous to have to use that much power to do some high res streaming with desktop software. It's like swatting flies with a bazooka.

I'll try some different setups with the iPad pro this weekend. I'm hosting a folk club zoom event this weekend. Fingers crossed one of them will work. :-)

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-19-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:19 PM

Yeah, the iPad Pro is fantastic.

Last edited by lkingston; 05-19-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:09 PM

One thing that the latest generation of iPad Pro has (that is missing on the previous generation I have) is that the USB-C connection includes ethernet support if you plug a USB-C to ethernet adapter into the port. This can give you lower latency for streaming or Zoom sessions (which I would LOVE).
Old 05-21-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
One thing that the latest generation of iPad Pro has (that is missing on the previous generation I have) is that the USB-C connection includes ethernet support if you plug a USB-C to ethernet adapter into the port. This can give you lower latency for streaming or Zoom sessions (which I would LOVE).

I hadn’t tried that yet. I have a USB C hub with Ethernet. That would be great to try.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Broadcast in b&w? Seems like that’s more an issue of the recording app than the broadcasting -

Love my older iPad Pro. Does everything I generally need a computer for. I assumed it would just do Facebook live, but doing a quick search there are a few apps to help do that. I haven’t tried them, though - maybe look at Broadcaster from Boxcast - got a pretty detailed website for it -

Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD