The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-05-2016, 06:15 PM
Guest 928

Default Klos guitars

Klos CF guitars are being offered at a price way below the average carbon fiber instrument. It seems to me that the advertisements for Klos have been on-going for several years and yet no one on the various CF forums seems to have played one.

I went to the Klos site and what I see is the ability to pre-order. Does this mean that the guitar has yet to hit production? Which leads to the question of whether the guitar can be produced at the price point mentioned?

Also, given the expertise on this forum it seems that someone here needs to order a Klos, just to see how it stands up (or falters) relative to the CF field of guitars.

Just a thought or two......
Old 11-05-2016, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Also, given the expertise on this forum it seems that someone here needs to order a Klos, just to see how it stands up (or falters) relative to the CF field of guitars.

Just a thought or two......
Ok if you start a fund. I'll take it and review it

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 11-06-2016, 07:25 AM

Better still, approach Klos with a proposal: send us one to pass around among CF room members for review and comment, and eventual return to Klos or purchase by a reviewer. That would generate more exposure than nearly anything else they could do. Of course, you need an actual guitar.....

This reminds me of the Eclipse VLJ (very light jet, four seats) I saw at the Oshkosh air show a dozen years ago. Their target price was $500k, and they had some clever ideas to get here. (One concept was using cruise missile engines, which ar already well proven). Last I looked it was still not in production and was up to $1.8 million.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:41 AM

If you want to see a review of it:

Last edited by jgillard; 11-06-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Guest 928

JG; I'm getting an error message in attempting to reach the review...could be my machine or yours??? I have seen demonstrations of the Klos (on the Klos site) but I'm wondering if the guitars could be prototypes and may not reflect actual production costs. Years ago a French company (Voyage Instruments) made some beautiful pro-type CF guitars but when it came to actual production the project did not make the street.

Fazool; Better yet, you could buy one and send it around to all of your CF brothers and sisters.

Ted; You really need one of these in your shop and available for contrast and comparison by your various customers. That would be a nice service to the CF community.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:29 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
JG; I'm getting an error message in attempting to reach the review...could be my machine or yours???

I have seen demonstrations of the Klos (on the Klos site) but I'm wondering if the guitars could be prototypes and may not reflect actual production costs.

Years ago a French company (Voyage Instruments) made some beautiful pro-type CF guitars but when it came to actual production the project did not make the street.

Fazool; Better yet, you could buy one and send it around to all of your CF brothers and sisters.

Ted; You really need one of these in your shop and available for contrast and comparison by your various customers. That would be a nice service to the CF community.
I'm getting the error message too.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:51 AM

I fixed the YouTube link. Sorry about that.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
...Ted; You really need one of these in your shop and available for contrast and comparison by your various customers. That would be a nice service to the CF community.
Would love to try one, Evan, perhaps the good folks at Klos will send me one to evaluate. Till then, I'll say that the price is impressive, but I have reservations about all that wood on the guitar. Before I bought my first Rainsong, my "beater" was an Ovation Celebrity that I picked up in a pawn shop for $150, but within a year of camping trips, and being left in the car, the bridge split in half, so in my experience, the wood neck, fret board and bridge are a weak link given the intended purpose.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:53 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Although I've viewed this reviewer's videos before, and he's very good, admittedly he doesn't have a lot of experience with CF guitars, so I suspect his favorable impression of the Klos may be overstated. I'd be curious to know his impressions of a range of CF offerings, then a follow-up of the Klos.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:05 PM
Guest 928

I had seen the review, and the guitar sounds pretty good. The reviewer notes that the guitar was sent to him for review but it does not answer the question of whether it is yet into production and can be produced at the price point.

I suppose that the wooden parts of the Klos may well save a lot of money but it is hard for me to believe that it can sell at half the price of a CF guitar being produced in Asia.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
....in my experience, the wood neck, fret board and bridge are a weak link given the intended purpose.
+1. I don't know what it would do to the price, but I really wish they had gone with all synthetic of some type.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

We're considering another boat... I may try to run that premise by the boat dealer.

As a former business(es) owner, I would have to think that Ted would have to raise the price on all the other carbon fibers in his shop to cover his cost of the Klos (that they will selling direct??)...

I suppose we could all send Klos a note suggesting they send our faithful friend Ted a guitar to review. You know, as a service to the CF community.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:02 PM
Guest 928

I'll ride with the Captain. But I don't want to see a prototype, I want to see/hear a production model. Are they out?
Old 11-07-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
+1. I don't know what it would do to the price, but I really wish they had gone with all synthetic of some type.
My guess is the price could be double if everything was CF.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:08 PM

(back from the dead)

One of these guitars just popped up for sale used in my area. I'm really tempted to pick it up. They listed it for $400.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with them yet?
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber