The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-05-2020, 03:04 PM

Default WHICH MULTI EFFECTS PREAMP DI ?

So I have a Schatten HFN passive on the way to install in my Larrivee C03R-TE. Now I'm on the hunt for an all in one preamp,effects, di. I know that impedance input level can be important.

Some contenders that I know about are

Trace Elliott Transit A. I have heard some good demos of it. And there are some deals to be had on them out there.

Fishman ToneEQ Tone EQ

Zoom AC3

Boss AC10. Always good quality. I use a Boss GT1000 as my electric rig.

Tec21 Acoustic Fly Rigg.

T Rex Soul mate looks like really good quality. But not sure if it worth the higher price or not. And not real impressed with the sound of the effects in demos Not going to use a lot of effects but a good quality reverb is very important to me.

What is you all's opinion on these or any others I'm missing. I really do want an all in. Rather not build a board.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:46 PM

Don't rule out the Zoom A1 Four. Tons of available effects including DI/EQ models.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:26 AM

I’ve owned 4 of those pedals and they all have drawbacks.

Fly Rig - 1meg input so this is ideal for your pickup. It’s a great sounding little pedal if your happy with the compact size. I found it quite difficult To adjust on floor in the the dark. I liked the effects but didn’t like that you couldn’t have both chorus and delay just one or the other.

Transit A - slightly bigger than the fly rig. This one colours your sound more of you like the trace sound then your all good! I wasn’t a huge fan of the reverb (sounded thin and metallic to my ears). Also the effects seem to go from subtle to over the top very quickly! It’s nicely laid out and well built. Again the knobs are difficult to read in the dark.

Soulmate - don’t discount this one. It’s by far the biggest and heaviest. The effects are actually nice sounding. And the way the EQ works is clever. Beat tuner of them all also IMO and a basic looper.

Tonedeq - I still have this one although it is on a pedal board! It’s not as well built as the others. I like the effects and compression. No tuner or mute function. Also reverb or delay which is annoying. I had to put it on a board with a tuner and separate reverb.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 08-06-2020, 03:56 AM
Charter Member

I’m not crazy about any of them. I would consider an Hx Stomp. I don’t like the Line 6 electric models but you want it for acoustic and it has a nice, customizable selection.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I’m not crazy about any of them. I would consider an Hx Stomp. I don’t like the Line 6 electric models but you want it for acoustic and it has a nice, customizable selection.
I too like the stomp. It's not a Di(no xlr out) So best to have
A di as well. But the stomp can give you it all.

In the band I play mandolin, guitar and bass.
Preset is just a button push away for each.
Also good saturated electric sounds can be had
For your acoustic..if need be.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I've just started using my HX Stomp with a PRS McCarty Thinline. So far I'm using only the Black Face Deluxe model which seems about right to me. I've only spent any time with one other, the Tweed Bassman Bright model, which I'm not sure how accurate it might be but the volume match to the Deluxe model is way off for similar settings.

What modeling products to you consider better and what am I missing out on?
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-07-2020, 03:58 AM

The two most appealing ones at this point is the Boss AD10. or The T-Rex Soulmate. Simply because of all the sound sculpting option. Low cut, parametric EQ and such. One question is about impedance match with the Schatten HFN pickup. The Soulmate actually has an impedance switch so it's covered. But could there be issues using the Schatten HFN with the Boss AD10
Old 08-07-2020, 05:48 AM

Another vote for the HX Stomp. Since I bought mine I never used any of my other preamps.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 08-07-2020, 10:33 AM

I use and recommend the Boss AD10. The electronics are very good and reliable, specifically the resonance feature. I use it with other pedals but would be very happy to use it alone if I needed to.

Good luck in your search,
PJ
Old 08-07-2020, 12:40 PM

I have been down this road and researched most of your choices. Narrowed it down to the Transit A and the Flyrig. Went with the Transit A and am pretty happy with it. I improved it by added small bright yellow tape lines to each knob so I could see where they were set in the dark. All the functions are easy to get to and it's not overwhelming to set up for a gig or adjust on the fly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification