The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-08-2024, 08:55 AM

Default Pickup recommendation for Martin 000-15M

I always wanted a mahogany guitar and when a local guy was selling a mint one for a cool even grand, I couldn't resist. So now comes the next question...how to amplify it for gigs? Since the 000-15M comes with nothing added...no strap pin...no hole in the bridge...nothing, the pickup install will be a little more involved. Was thinking an Anthem SL would be a safe bet, but that involves more drilling. Maybe the new Baggs HiFi or wait for the HiFi Duet?
Or go the soundhole pickup route? Would love something that brings out the warm, woody, mellow hog tone of the 000-15 through the speakers.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:46 AM

My all hog 00 slothead sounds great with only a K&K Pure Mini installed.

I've had several guitars in the past and have always installed this pickup, being happy with the resulting sound. An simple external preamp pedal can be used, but I'm happy with plugging directly into any amp or PA with a high impedance input.

It's best to use a mirror to make sure the bridge plate is large enough to accomodate the three transducers. That's seldom a problem, but a good thing to check prior to doing any pickup installation.

K&K Pure Mini (and JJB...) installation tips

Here's an example of the K&K directly into a digital recorder. It gives a pretty good idea of what the K&K Pure Mini can sound like in a all hog 00 sized guitar.

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-08-2024 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

When I had a 000-15m StreetMaster I used a Baggs M1 Passive soundhole pickup for a while and it sounded great, but I wasn't a fan of the added weight. So after that I installed a JJB Prestige 330 and really loved the results. The only reason I moved the guitar along was I wasn't a fan of the added string tension of the longer scale.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-08-2024, 09:59 AM

I installed a JJB Prestige 330 in my 000-15SM, with a Tapastring Vintage Jack.

I've been very happy with the quality, service and most importantly sound of my many JJB equipped instruments over the past 15 years. I've also used K&K and they have given me no problems as well.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:32 PM

I had a k&k pure mini installed in my 000-15M.
Satisfied with the results.
Old 03-09-2024, 04:58 AM

Although not my first choice on paper I have a Baggs M1 sound hole pick up in my Martin 000-15. I bought this guitar used and it came with this pick up installed. I was pleasantly surprised with how good it sounds. I thought I would install a SBT of some sort but I have left the Baggs M1 in there.
Old 03-09-2024, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
My all hog 00 slothead sounds great with only a K&K Pure Mini installed.

I've had several guitars in the past and have always installed this pickup, being happy with the resulting sound. An simple external preamp pedal can be used, but I'm happy with plugging directly into any amp or PA with a high impedance input.

It's best to use a mirror to make sure the bridge plate is large enough to accomodate the three transducers. That's seldom a problem, but a good thing to check prior to doing any pickup installation.

K&K Pure Mini (and JJB...) installation tips

Here's an example of the K&K directly into a digital recorder. It gives a pretty good idea of what the K&K Pure Mini can sound like in a all hog 00 sized guitar.

nice song!
Old 03-09-2024, 08:24 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

https://www.goacousticaudio.com/prod...e-mount-system

I am a bit biased about what we offer, but I think if you were to experience this amplification system you would be amazed like our clients are.

This video is Shane experiencing GoAA for the first time.

And another Shane here, Winfield Champion Shane Adkins, experiencing GoAA for the first time.

If a big sound with good bass is your desire, our system has the feedback resistance required to compensate for feedback, without massive high pass filtration to help control bass hz from cycling.

The direct top mounted transducers are better at lower vol levels and do not have the clarity of GoAA.

Last edited by conecaster; 03-09-2024 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-11-2024, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

My best live sound was a Martin D15 with Baggs M1 passive into a nice floor preamp….

K&k a close second.
For dad rock anyways…
Old 03-11-2024, 04:55 PM

K&K Pure Mini.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:07 AM

Dazzo and James May UltraTonic are always the first I'd recommend. Had some good results with K&K pure western mini on some guitars also, and some I did not like.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 03-12-2024, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
Dazzo and James May UltraTonic are always the first I'd recommend. Had some good results with K&K pure western mini on some guitars also, and some I did not like.
The older "Pure Western" used larger diameter transducers.

The "Pure Mini" uses smaller diameter transducers that sounds better for most installations IMHO.

I wish Dieter would just change the name to eliminate confusion!
Old 03-12-2024, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

I use a Mojotone NC-2 in my 000-15M and dig the tone.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:20 AM

If you want a passive setup, a Dazzo with a Sunnaudio preamp, all the way. If you want to go with an active pickup, I’d wait for the HiFi Duet to become available. Otherwise an Anthem SL would be my choice if you had to have something now.
Old 03-13-2024, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

I had a Baggs Lyric in mine and I thought it sounded great. I bet the HiFi would sound great too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification