The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-14-2024, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangebloom View Post
...I have never been to an open mic that couldn't mic a pure acoustic guitar. ..
In my area I have not been to an open mic in which I saw somebody mic a pure acoustic guitar. I'm not saying it hasn't been done ... I just haven't seen it done. Frankly I wouldn't trust somebody to mic my pure acoustic guitar at the jams I have attended.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 03-16-2024, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Lowest cost would be to have them mic your guitar, assuming they have the ability to do that.
I go out to a bunch of different open mics. Quite regularly. And the worse deal is when somebody comes up with no pickup in the guitar. The sound person needs to go up on stage and fiddle with mics and mic stands to get something setup for the player. And invariably it's either too boomy or too quiet for the setting and the system. Then the sound person has to go back up afterwards and reconfigure the stage to a normal setting.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I go out to a bunch of different open mics. Quite regularly. And the worse deal is when somebody comes up with no pickup in the guitar. The sound person needs to go up on stage and fiddle with mics and mic stands to get something setup for the player. And invariably it's either too boomy or too quiet for the setting and the system. Then the sound person has to go back up afterwards and reconfigure the stage to a normal setting.
Yes that is what seems in vogue. They say they will do that .. but I don't think they really want to take the time to fiddle with the extra duties ... and I don't know how good they are or will be. Plus, as a "newbie" I really don't want to impose when I have now at least three guitars with installed pickups ... and that "new" old PD80SC sounds pretty good I think so that is the one I will try to use.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 03-16-2024, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

You can get a better sound by adding a modeling pedal. Of course that means carrying a pedal up there and plugging it in for power and bringing an extra cable, unless, . . ,

Nowadays I'm using a NUX Optima Air at the moment. ($180). Of course I've added a rechargeable battery pack for the NUX ($35), so no wall wart necessary. Plus I use a wireless guitar cord ($56), so all I carry up is the NUX with battery and plug the house 1/4" into that. Quick and works quite nicely.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification