The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-23-2024, 07:21 AM

Default Looking for pair of PA Speakers for acoustic setup

I’ve tried the Bose S1 Pro+ and it was just not powerful enough or sound as good as I thought it would. I’m looking for a couple powered PA speakers that with do it all, acoustic band and electric band setups. Seems like QSC and EV are the top sellers. Any advice or recommendation would be appreciated, thanks.

Also I have a Martin HD-28 with K&K Pure mini pickup installed and Red Eye preamp with pedalboard, along with other guitar players Taylor ES2 and vocals. So as of right now it’s 2 guitars and 2 vocals but I want some drivers that will handle full band setup also.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:35 AM

I'm in a very similar boat (I've been using an L1 Pro8 and it just doesn't seem to have the output that I need) and I'm really leaning towards getting some K8(.2)'s and calling it good. I'll likely just use one for a lot of places.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

EV ZLX-12P would be my choice.

Thats what my band uses for large bar size venues. They are inssanely loud and sound crystal clear with nice vocals and acoustic sound.

If I ever need PA speakers I wont waste a minute researching or shopping, I'll just buy these again

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-23-2024, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
EV ZLX-12P would be my choice.

Thats what my band uses for large bar size venues. They are inssanely loud and sound crystal clear with nice vocals and acoustic sound.

If I ever need PA speakers I wont waste a minute researching or shopping, I'll just buy these again

Yea I was looking at those. So far they do seem like the best deal for the money. Budget is no more than $1500.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:37 AM

I too will boast for the EV ZLX 12. I bought two along with stands for my guitar show. They are more than powerful enough to use inside for vocal and acoustic performances and I used them outside for my wedding and they did great there too. They are crystal clear and are amazing speakers.

A picture of one with Tony McManus playing:

BIG 2023.jpg

Last edited by TomB'sox; 02-23-2024 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I too will boast for the EV ZLX 12. I bought two along with stands for my guitar show. They are more than powerful enough to use inside for vocal and acoustic performances and I used them outside for my wedding and they did great there too. They are crystal clear and are amazing speakers.

A picture of one with Tony McManus playing:

Attachment 104587
Did yours come with covers?
Old 02-23-2024, 01:11 PM

If you're gonna have drums (mic'd) and bass through the PA, I'd either plan on getting subs + tops or 15s. I love my Yamaha DBR10s. I fly them over DXS12mkii subs and the system rocks. The DBR10s are light and relatively inexpensive. I formerly owned DXR10s which are heavier and had a lot more punch but the DBRs still get the job done.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adambomb View Post
Did yours come with covers?
No, I do not believe so, but the box is so nice with easy to fit styrofoam holders, they only go in one way, I just put them back in the boxes and move them that way, they don't have a scratch on them doing this. I remember the speakers and amps in our band being beat to heck just throwing them in the van and trailer we used despite the covers.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:41 PM

JBL, Electro Voice, Bose, and Yamaha all make great-sounding last-a-lifetime speakers.

I use a single powered JBL ten-inch speaker, their EON 710. Haven't had to crank it up very high. It packs plenty of volume for my purposes, and there's plenty of bottom for acoustic guitar and vocals. A pair would easily command a large club.

It has more features than I'll ever use. You might like that. And EONs come with bigger speakers, too, of course, if you need them, say, for big outdoor stages.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 02-23-2024 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

There are lot of interesting brand choices each with its brand flavor.
Most brands have the nice and really nice upscale .models....i.e.
QSC Cp vs K.2
Yamaha DBR vs DXR
EV ZLX vs ELX

think you first need to decide if the sound of the upscale models is worth
the extra money to you. You may even like the lighter, more powerful eLX10
over the ZLX12.....who knows. Think long term. If the S1 Pro+ falls
short of your expectations, my guess is that you will lean toward the upscale
models.

Also, I think the RCF 708/710/712 series is worth a look.

Papermoon---why not just get one K8.2 and Di out from the Pro8 to it.
The Pro8 still acts as your monitor. I do that occasionally, myself.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:23 PM

I just went did the buy once cry once of PA mains myself. Bit the bullet and purchased a pair of Yamaha DZR 10s. All the options others have mentione sound good too.

To the person who has the JBL Eon 710. I play a place that uses a single 610 which is a step down from the 710 and it still sounds good. I imagine the 710 sounds very good.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

If you're looking to outfit at times a whole band, bite the bullet get QSC K12.2S and a pair if QSC subs and call it a day. We used that setup for 13 years traveling everywhere including Canada. Held up night after night. When we didn't have full band shows and did acoustic, just used the K12s. Awesome sounds
Old 02-23-2024, 07:40 PM

I’ve owned more speakers than I can count over the years. QSC, Yamaha, EV, JBL, you name it, I’ve probably tried it.

The QSC K series is good. They’re popular, they have a good warranty, they’re durable, and they sound good.

A step up from those would be the EV ETX series. You get a wooden enclosure, a larger voice coil, and they sound great. Much warmer at higher volumes.

I got rid of the ETX tops to try what I am currently using, the EAW RS series. I have RS123 tops and 115 subs. They’re the nicest sounding speakers I’ve ever owned. I stopped speaker shopping when I found these. They’re at the top of the pro-sumer line in my opinion. You’ll have to get into the professional level boxes to find anything better.

Just my two cents. Good luck!
Old 02-23-2024, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

great comment Medford G. You have either:
- graduated to a level where you don't have to haul gear yourself
-are Young and strong
-are just really strong

any of the above, I am envious. :-)

But most likely, just being facetious, which is even better...but missed the
smiley faces. :-)

See, I cannot even figure out how to do a smiley face in a post.....
Old 02-23-2024, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
…Bit the bullet and purchased a pair of Yamaha DZR 10s.
I’ve spent the last couple of weeks comparing the DZR10’s to my DXR12’s and am so far very impressed and excited.

All the big makers have something good to offer and it’s hard to go wrong compared to “the old days”.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification