The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-01-2024, 10:55 AM

[QUOTE=beatbird;7400972]I think the HiFi sounds very good on its own. My favorite tone was with the mic blend at 25%.

Agree with beatbird. Actually in this demo, I prefer with Hi-Fi over the external mic … less fret noise. I'm wondering why this Hi-Fi demo sounds so much better than previous ones I've heard. Maybe it's the guitar, since SBT's certain sound different in different guitars? Maybe this is just a particularly good combination of guitar and pickup. BTW, isn't this a Blueridge 000?
Old 02-01-2024, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Very good sounding system in this recording Aaron. Really glad you were able to get a little time to record it at NAMM! I am curious how the controls were to use and how you felt the weight of the instrument felt?
How are you recording it, Aaron?
Running through and amp/PA with recorder/mic in front?
Direct pickup line into a recorder?
Old 02-01-2024, 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=rb1591;7401306]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatbird View Post
I think the HiFi sounds very good on its own. My favorite tone was with the mic blend at 25%.

Agree with beatbird. Actually in this demo, I prefer with Hi-Fi over the external mic … less fret noise. I'm wondering why this Hi-Fi demo sounds so much better than previous ones I've heard. Maybe it's the guitar, since SBT's certain sound different in different guitars? Maybe this is just a particularly good combination of guitar and pickup. BTW, isn't this a Blueridge 000?

My suspicion is the guitar. Of all the choices in the world for LR Baggs to show off their new product, they chose an $700 Chinese made OM. Less natural resonance and bass would make the pickup sound more even. Because of the compression the preamp does for the low end.

I loved my HiFi at home through my small amp systems. I don’t have a large PA anymore. But at venue with built in house sound, or impressive PA systems my HD-28 or D-28 Marquis compressed the low end and left the highs “uncovered”. It sounded thin- with flat EQ. Even with the tone tolled off. Through a small speaker like the Bose S1, it sounded terrific.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=martingitdave;7401316]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1591 View Post

My suspicion is the guitar. Of all the choices in the world for LR Baggs to show off their new product, they chose an $700 Chinese made OM. Less natural resonance and bass would make the pickup sound more even. Because of the compression the preamp does for the low end.

I loved my HiFi at home through my small amp systems. I don’t have a large PA anymore. But at venue with built in house sound, or impressive PA systems my HD-28 or D-28 Marquis compressed the low end and left the highs “uncovered”. It sounded thin- with flat EQ. Even with the tone tolled off through a small speaker like the Bose S1, it sounded terrific.
I was really surprised they showcased the new Baggs HiFi Duet pickup in a Blueridge guitar. What the heck were they thinking? I believe it is a rather lean and bright sounding guitar with somewhat brittle highs inherently.

I agree Aaron’s demo was better than the one done by the rep at the LR Baggs NAMM booth. I would like to hear the pickup presented in a better known excellent sounding guitar and played through a sound system EQ’d the way we would use it for an actual gig. That is the intended purpose of onboard acoustic guitar pickups. People don’t typically buy these pickups to record “Direct”. A directed recorded sound is never my favorite nor is it as telling as I want and need to make the most informed decision. Yes, it’s interesting to know what it sounds like “direct” and that minimizes other variables, but I want to hear how it sounds through a good acoustic amp or PA like most guitarists would actually use it. That is what matters to me the most.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 02-01-2024 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:41 PM

I'll agree with Gary above. This was not a flattering setup, though I will admit that I'm not a fan of more jangle and often will eq the upper mids and highs down depending on the setup. The mic brought out some brittle upper mids (to me) in this guitar.

fwiw the HiFi sounds quite good in my 000-28 CA 1937. With dual source systems, I usually find myself adding in just a small amount of the mic as I want some air but not a lot of shimmer. With the NC-2 (which I love in my Collings), I run about 10-20% mic. If I end up trying the Duet, I imagine I'd probably end up around the same but we'll have to see what the final product sounds like, and of course the guitar it is going in. I have a 002 being built that will need a pickup, was thinking probably NC-2 or HiFi but Duet is on the list.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 02-01-2024, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post

I would also like to hear the pickup presented in an excellent guitar and played through a sound system eq’d as if it was for an actual gig. People don’t buy these pickups to record “direct”.... It’s interesting to know what it sounds like “direct” but I want to hear how it sounds through an amp or PA like I would actually use it. That is the where it matters to me the most.
Matters to me the most as well, but I think playing through a PA injects another layer of variables--that particular room size, how many people are there, what are the reflective surfaces like.... it's all a bit deceptive compared to when we have it through our own systems and venues.

That being said, I wouldn't object to anyone doing it!
Old 02-01-2024, 01:27 PM

All of them sound too bright for my purposes. Of course, this could be the instrument, recording artifacts, etc.
Old 02-01-2024, 02:32 PM

[QUOTE=rb1591;7401306]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatbird View Post
I think the HiFi sounds very good on its own. My favorite tone was with the mic blend at 25%.

I agree the HiFi alone sounded better than the external mic. Very promising system.
Old 02-02-2024, 12:21 PM

Great demo. The silo mic certainly added more air to the tone, but as with others, I think the hifi on its on sounded great. Curious if those that already own the HiFi have been persuaded to upgrade to the new HiFi Duet upon its release?
Old 03-07-2024, 08:55 AM

Anyone know exactly when this is supposed to be available?
Old 03-07-2024, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
It says this summer on their website.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
If you go for we all anticipate a comprehensive review
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-07-2024, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
If you go for we all anticipate a comprehensive review
I just bought a Martin 000-15M without any electronics and I am considering options. Not sure I want to wait until summer. Also not sure the HiFi WITH the mic is worth an extra $250 over the regular HiFi? From all the recordings I've heard the HiFi sounds pretty good by itself and with the mic doesn't sound THAT MUCH different or better.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Arrow

I just bought a Collings OM1 Cutaway and i will definitely wait for the Duet.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 03-08-2024, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Yes, that's a another great demo, Aaron. I thought the 50% mic sounded best.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification