The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-12-2024, 06:57 AM

Default Volume control with a soundhole pickup

Ok, so bear with me while I try to explain myself here!

I have a few acoustics, but my 12 string came without a pickup. Since I will typically use it live in a full electric band setting, I decided to get a soundhole pickup (Seymour Duncan Woody) for amplification. No big deal there, other than the typical thing...no volume control readily at hand.

I'm in the process of putting together my rig for live use, and on my pedalboard, I'm going to get a something like a Tech 21 Acoustic Fly Rig or Trace Elliot Transit A to serve as a DI, preamp and effects unit, and go through that to the mixer/PA. My question is what, if anything, can I do to have quick volume control of the guitar...like a belt pack or some other idea?

There don't seem to be many options out there. I've seen the old Baggs Mixpro/Gigpro units for sale used, as well as a little volume preamp from Schatten and other beltpack preamps from Fishman and K&K. My question with those is can I essentially use two preamps? Can the guitar connect to one of those, with a second cable then running to the pedalboard unit? Pardon my technical ignorance, I'm just trying to work this all out in my head.

I know that I could use the Fishman Platinum or the old Baggs unit and forgo the pedalboard unit. But I like having the ability to have those effects, DI and tuner. The existing belt pack units can do the preamp and DI roles, but that's it.

Does anyone have any thoughts, and have I actually managed to explain myself somewhat clearly?
Old 03-12-2024, 08:30 AM

First, if you are adapting your soundhole pickup to an endpin jack so you don't have the cord hanging down on your guitar then the easiest solution would be the Schatten BB-03 "volume only" black box. It is not a preamp, simple volume only.

Schatten BB-03 volume control @ Amazon

Many of the multi-effects pedals like the Fly Rig have a volume boost function for solos if that's of use to you.

I used to have a Digitech RP-200 multieffects pedal that I had set up for multiple instruments and I programmed and labeled a "MUTE" patch for silent switching of instruments and to use on breaks. Some of the newer pedals with programmable user settings might be able to do the same thing.

You COULD get a simple volume control pedal to use before the input to your pedal board and that would solve all of your concerns.

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-12-2024 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
First, if you are adapting your soundhole pickup to an endpin jack so you don't have the cord hanging down on your guitar then the easiest solution would be the Schatten BB-03 "volume only" black box. It is not a preamp, simple volume only.

Schatten BB-03 volume control @ Amazon

Many of the multi-effects pedals like the Fly Rig have a volume boost function for solos if that's of use to you.

I used to have a Digitech RP-200 multieffects pedal that I had set up for multiple instruments and I programmed and labeled a "MUTE" patch for silent switching of instruments and to use on breaks. Some of the newer pedals with programmable user settings might be able to do the same thing.

You COULD get a simple volume control pedal to use before the input to your pedal board and that would solve all of your concerns.
Yep, I'm staying away from the endpin thing. I didn't want the pickup to be permanently installed and start with installation work. I'd seen the Schatten and thought about it. Volume pedal crossed my mind and may well be the best option. Would I go guitar into the volume pedal and then to the Fly Rig/Transit? Or would the volume pedal go after it?

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-12-2024, 08:57 AM

+1 for a simple volume pedal
Old 03-12-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublea1269 View Post
Yep, I'm staying away from the endpin thing. I didn't want the pickup to be permanently installed and start with installation work. I'd seen the Schatten and thought about it. Volume pedal crossed my mind and may well be the best option. Would I go guitar into the volume pedal and then to the Fly Rig/Transit? Or would the volume pedal go after it?

Thanks for your help!
Most folks would opt to go guitar --> volume pedal --> multi-effects. You also need to consider that the Fly Rig has an XLR balanced output and most external volume foot pedals are 1/4".

I'm not sure how you anticipate using your additional volume control, but do remember that a multieffects like the Acoustic Fly Rig not only as the programmable solo boost level, but also mutes the output when you hit the tuner button. Seems like there's not much need to complicate things with still another volume control.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:30 AM

Honestly, if you want volume, I would go with a different pickup that has volume, as several do, like the M1. I keep a Rare Earth Magnetic Soundhole Pickup in my road-bag in case of an on-board emergency - it also has a volume control. Or, for simplicity, use a pedal board/effects pedal with built-in volume pedal.

Last edited by LAPlayer; 03-12-2024 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

For over a decade I used an Ernie Ball volume pedal for both my 6 and 12 string acoustic guitars on stage, for precisely the reason you mention... worked fine; along with giving me a volume control, it served to mute while I changed cables for whatever guitar I switched to...

When I finally took the volume pedal out of the signal chain, I was a bit stunned by how much of the tone was lost by using it... a WHOLE lot of high end, and a little bit overall. As long as you're okay with that, go for it...

You could always spring the $$$ for an active volume pedal that wouldn't cut so much from the tone, but with a the pickup you are using I'm guessing that is not a concern?

The Seymour Duncan Mag-Mic pickup has a volume control on it, and it sounds very good to me. When I was waffling about having a pickup put into my Goodall Grand Concert, I checked out a fair number of soundhole pickups, and the Mag-Mic sounded best of them all...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-12-2024, 04:11 PM

My preamp has a boost knob and button. That's all I use. One of my guitars came with a volume knob, but I've never used it.

In fact, just playing louder sounds more natural than changing volume. I do that a lot, too.
Old 03-12-2024, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

A Mojotone Quiet Coil NC-2 sound hole pickup has a volume knob...

-Mike
Old 03-13-2024, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
For over a decade I used an Ernie Ball volume pedal for both my 6 and 12 string acoustic guitars on stage, for precisely the reason you mention... worked fine; along with giving me a volume control, it served to mute while I changed cables for whatever guitar I switched to...

When I finally took the volume pedal out of the signal chain, I was a bit stunned by how much of the tone was lost by using it... a WHOLE lot of high end, and a little bit overall. As long as you're okay with that, go for it...

You could always spring the $$$ for an active volume pedal that wouldn't cut so much from the tone, but with a the pickup you are using I'm guessing that is not a concern?

The Seymour Duncan Mag-Mic pickup has a volume control on it, and it sounds very good to me. When I was waffling about having a pickup put into my Goodall Grand Concert, I checked out a fair number of soundhole pickups, and the Mag-Mic sounded best of them all...
Hmm...I definitely don't want to lose so much tone. I'll have to think about either getting something like the Mag-Mic or focusing more on my dynamics. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2024, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
My preamp has a boost knob and button. That's all I use. One of my guitars came with a volume knob, but I've never used it.

In fact, just playing louder sounds more natural than changing volume. I do that a lot, too.
Makes sense...I think I'm going to have to shift my focus to my playing dynamics more. I tend to use the volume and tone knobs on my electrics than I do on my preamp-equipped acoustic.
Old 03-13-2024, 02:31 PM

Keep things simple. Do you want a volume control for going silent between songs, or for dynamics in your songs? For the former, plug into any tuner pedal and tap it at the end of each song (and again just before you start the next one!). For the latter, let the pickup level stay consistent and make the dynamics wuth your picking hand. After all, it’s an acoustic guitar!
Old 03-13-2024, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs264 View Post
Keep things simple. Do you want a volume control for going silent between songs, or for dynamics in your songs? For the former, plug into any tuner pedal and tap it at the end of each song (and again just before you start the next one!). For the latter, let the pickup level stay consistent and make the dynamics wuth your picking hand. After all, it’s an acoustic guitar!
Strictly for the latter...and dynamics will now be my ultimate goal. One of the things I love about acoustic is the actual dynamics of playing. Most likely got myself all worked up over nothing!
Old 03-13-2024, 04:32 PM

Just another idea...Amazon sell a soundhole pickup. Humbucker and microphone. Vol and mic controls easy to use. Some further subtle tone shaping via mini screws. Rechargeable batts. And.... it's wireless! Comes with a receiver for your amp input. It's really an excellent product, I was amazed by how acoustic it sounds. About 80 dollars. Excellent for recording too.
I've no connection with the product makers or sellers by the way. Just very happy with the product.
Nick

Last edited by nickv6; 03-14-2024 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublea1269 View Post
Most likely got myself all worked up over nothing!

That's mostly what we do here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification