The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-06-2024, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Default Where to glue on two-head soundboard pickup?

I have a JJB two-head pickup that I bought years ago, that I'd like to install on a somewhat acoustically-inert guitar with a laminate top.

I know the three-head pickups are best, like K&K pure mini, et al.; I've used them and liked them. Just wondering how to install a two-head pickup in an effective way on a cheap dreadnought. I presume evenly spaced opposite the string holes on the bridge plate, but - ?

Also, anyone ever try other locations, like further toward the endpin? Since my guitar's laminated top doesn't vibrate as much as solid wood, might this work? Thanks.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoughtfree View Post
I have a JJB two-head pickup that I bought years ago, that I'd like to install on a somewhat acoustically-inert guitar with a laminate top.

I know the three-head pickups are best, like K&K pure mini, et al.; I've used them and liked them. Just wondering how to install a two-head pickup in an effective way on a cheap dreadnought. I presume evenly spaced opposite the string holes on the bridge plate, but - ?

Also, anyone ever try other locations, like further toward the endpin? Since my guitar's laminated top doesn't vibrate as much as solid wood, might this work? Thanks.
Download the installation instructions for twin transducer K&K from their website?

Big Twin installation instructions

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-06-2024 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

I stuck a SBT on the top behind the bridge plate on a guitar once. The bridgepate was covered by a Bridge Doctor. The result was fine in headphones. But through an amp it was a screaming feedback machine.

Not recommended.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:36 PM

On all my floating bridge archtop instruments (fiddles, mandolins, archtop guitar, etc.) I place one head under the point where each bridge foot contacts the soundboard.

On a fixed bridge flattop I've used a few of the dual head JJB's in a similar way - on the bridge plate with one on the treble and another on the bass side. Another way that has worked is one on the treble side of the bridge plate and one in the middle, since bass response isn't usually a problem.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, folks!
Old 03-08-2024, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

My Dazzo pickups are just two sensors, and they are installed on the bridge plate, with one near the low E and the other near the high E... they were installed, variously, by Teddy and Vancebo, and they sound tremendous!!!

The installation involved slacking all the strings, save for the low E, and removing them from the bridge, itself... then positioning the transducer on the bridge plate with the low E string tuned to pitch, and using the several minutes of "set up time" with the epoxy, adjusting it slightly to get the best tone... repeating the process with the high E string.

Hope this helps!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification