The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-06-2024, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Default EV Evolve 30m/50m Bluetooth and Stereo Inputs

I struggle with streaming music through my 50m. It seems at times the Bluetooth will work fine, and not the next time. Sometimes if I ‘forget the device” and re-pair it will work, but not always—and to my mind if the mixer is working it should be paired. I host an open mic and I get some performers who want to sing to a track on their phone and it won’t pair—so we try it on my device and it still won’t work. I finally bought a couple of RCA to USB or Lightning cables to avoid using Bluetooth, and that is inconsistent too! Even so, the last time out plugging direct didn’t work, almost like the mixer was assuming Bluetooth was engaged and not allowing for the hardwired connection, but nothing worked. I’d love some suggestions from others more techy, namely with Bluetooth inconsistencies?
Thanks

Last edited by Stringmaster; 03-06-2024 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2024, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
I struggle with streaming music through my 50m. It seems at times the Bluetooth will work fine, and not the next time. Sometimes if I ‘forget the device” and re-pair it will work, but not always—and to my mind if the mixer is working it should be paired. I host an open mic and I get some performers who want to sing to a track on their phone and it won’t pair—so we try it on my device and it still won’t work. I finally bought a couple of RCA to USB or Lightning cables to avoid using Bluetooth, and that is inconsistent too! I did discover that using the stereo RCA jacks works through channel 5/6, not 7/8 which is weird. Even so, the last time out plugging direct didn’t work, almost like the mixer was assuming Bluetooth was engaged and not allowing for the hardwired connection, but nothing worked. I’d love some suggestions from others more techy. Has anyone else experienced inconsistencies? Does your hardwired connection also enable channel 5/6 vs 7/8? I hope that’s not the case as I often use 5/6 for the high impedance jack.
Thanks
30m owner here. I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any relationship between the hard-wired 5/6 and the Bluetooth 7/8. To my way of thinking they shouldn't get in each other's way at all, any more than Channel 1 would block Channel 2. My first guess would be an accidental or software-gremlin mute somewhere along the line. (But you should still be able to check that to see if Speaker, Main or channel is muted. Some have occasionally reported a mute being turned on that wasn't left that way). But others may know more.

Separately, the diagrammed white lines on the back of the unit trace down from "Input 5/6" to the hard-wired combo and RCA inputs, so that doesn't seem weird to me. It's operating as designed.

I'm not sure why you're using 5/6 for your high impedance input--there's a dedicated 1/4-inch input on Channel 4 marked "Hi-Z" for that.

Re the Bluetooth inputs 7/8: I had inconsistent results too until someone on the Facebook EV forum said I should connect my smartphone to the 30m first, through regular ole' smartphone-to-device pairing--and then to launch the Quicksmart app to connect for mixer control. Since then, I haven't had a problem. Now that' s a relatively small sample size, I connected only about 40 times this way, usually in rehearsal, and only four or five times at a gig where there's a lot more potential radio interference. I use it for streaming break music from a Spotify playlist.

To be clear, it is not the case that "if the mixer is working it should be paired." The Quicksmart app and streaming pairing are separate functions.

Hope some of this helps!

Last edited by Chriscom; 03-06-2024 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2024, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
30m owner here. I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any relationship between the hard-wired 5/6 and the Bluetooth 7/8. To my way of thinking they shouldn't get in each other's way at all, any more than Channel 1 would block Channel 2. My first guess would be an accidental or software-gremlin mute somewhere along the line. (But you should still be able to check that to see if Speaker, Main or channel is muted. Some have occasionally reported a mute being turned on that wasn't left that way). But others may know more.

Separately, the diagrammed white lines on the back of the unit trace down from "Input 5/6" to the hard-wired combo and RCA inputs, so that doesn't seem weird to me. It's operating as designed.

I'm not sure why you're using 5/6 for your high impedance input--there's a dedicated 1/4-inch input on Channel 4 marked "Hi-Z" for that.

Re the Bluetooth inputs 7/8: I had inconsistent results too until someone on the Facebook EV forum said I should connect my smartphone to the 30m first, through regular ole' smartphone-to-device pairing--and then to launch the Quicksmart app to connect for mixer control. Since then, I haven't had a problem. Now that' s a relatively small sample size, I connected only about 40 times this way, usually in rehearsal, and only four or five times at a gig where there's a lot more potential radio interference. I use it for streaming break music from a Spotify playlist.

To be clear, it is not the case that "if the mixer is working it should be paired." The Quicksmart app and streaming pairing are separate functions.

Hope some of this helps!
Thanks—I stand corrected—I guess I was thinking that since I was trying to stream on 7/8 (and it wasn’t working), that hardwiring would also use that channel, but you’re right—and it’s 5/6. And yes input 4 is the high Z. Gotta edit my original post! Thanks for the great input

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification