The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-20-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaC View Post
Thank you Paleolith, & Frank. That helps. I’ll try 10’s on my Strat just for fun. Currently 9’s.

I’m running 12’s on my es339 and yeah, not a lotta bending going on there lol, but I love it!
He's right about the trem, I thought of that after posting, but still and all I'd be sure I liked the change before spending time or money doing a setup. A good reason to learn doing the basic setups yourself; trust me, if I can do it anyone can.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:17 PM

10s are all I have ever used. Tried 9s before...too light for me.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
Yes, that’s what caught my eye on this thread, the 9’s seem a bit light. I don’t do that much bending any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
He's right about the trem, I thought of that after posting, but still and all I'd be sure I liked the change before spending time or money doing a setup. A good reason to learn doing the basic setups yourself; trust me, if I can do it anyone can.
You can do it. I have. Get a basic luthiers tool kit on amazon, watch some YouTube, and go. You’ve got nothin to lose. Just don’t file the nut unless you know what you’re doing. Anything else can be reversed.
Larivee OM-40
Guild D-125 12 NAT
Yamaha CSF3M TBS
USA Stratocaster
Gibson les Paul Junior
Custom built Thinline Tele
Old 10-20-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Let us know how things go with 10s. You may, or may not, need a slight 1/8 - 1/4 turn truss rod adjustment.

Hey FoxHound - congrats on your new setup.
Thanks Dru. I'm very very happy with the setup and the 10's. I might try 11's one day but now my strat actually feels like a serious instrument, absolutely love the thing a whole lot more as a result. =P
Old 10-20-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
That's exactly what I think. the 10's are just gutsier and have alot more substance to them in terms of feel and tone without drilling my fingers too hard. As I said the 9's now feel like cotton thread to me.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaC View Post
Help me out here. What does it involve changing (If anything), to have a Strat set up for 10’s?

You mean I can’t just throw a set on and got to town?
Based on the report my luthier gave me when he setup my strat for 10's he had to file the nut down a bit more because it wasn't done for 10's it was only filed for factory fitted 9's, he also had to make sure the intonation was correct as well as saddle heights. adjust the truss rod as well as checking the tremolo's spring configuration (which is very customizable on a strat), and make sure you can actually operate the tremolo system without pulling the strings out of tune. (strings need to be able to move freely in the nut to not go out of tune, he found there was binding issues in the nut slots).

Overall the thing plays like a dream now, there's no fret buzz or anything, a proper setup works wonders.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:21 AM

I use 10s on all my electrics, and 12s on my acoustics. No exceptions. That's the feel I like, and it enables me to produce the sounds I like.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
I use 10s on all my electrics, and 12s on my acoustics. No exceptions. That's the feel I like, and it enables me to produce the sounds I like.
Exactly. My experimenting days are long past.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:48 AM

EB hybrids are pretty decent. You still have the 9 but the rest are pretty much like have 10's. I have them on my LP tribute. I do plan on putting on a set of Di'addario 10's next just to experiment.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:00 PM

Yep, 10s for me on my tele (with wound 3rd - definitely helps the intonation).
Old 10-26-2020, 10:58 AM

my 25.5" get 9.5 strings. Perfect mix to me
Old 10-26-2020, 11:02 AM

10s on a Strat are sublime.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:51 AM

For clean sounds 10s on a strat are unbeatable.
Once you start adding distortion you could play with fishing line and non-one will hear the difference......
On my 1961 ES-175D I play with 14s to get a full "thunk" sound - no need for bends so action is set pretty low....
On my Ibanez Artist 2619 Prestige I play with 9s because it's used mostly for crunchy (Wampler Tumnus) or singing (Tubscreamer or Big Miuff Pi Rams's head) rock or fusion sounds
Use the tools for the job......
Old 10-27-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray175 View Post
For clean sounds 10s on a strat are unbeatable.
Once you start adding distortion you could play with fishing line and non-one will hear the difference......
On my 1961 ES-175D I play with 14s to get a full "thunk" sound - no need for bends so action is set pretty low....
On my Ibanez Artist 2619 Prestige I play with 9s because it's used mostly for crunchy (Wampler Tumnus) or singing (Tubscreamer or Big Miuff Pi Rams's head) rock or fusion sounds
Use the tools for the job......
I recently watched a rig rundown on Billy Gibbon's rig and his tech says he puts 7's in Billy's guitars. I don't know that I've ever seen 7's.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:34 PM

Jeff Beck once stated, in an interview, words to the effect that whenever he starts out on tour, he strings with .10s but increases this as his hands and grip get stronger by playing night after night. By tour's end he's strung with .12 or even .13....of course, he now plays with his fingers, so that would make sense. I don't think I could do that in Standard tuning.

I just threw some .12s on my '95 USA Roadhouse Strat and cranked the trem claw down hard to deck the plate so I can use it for slide (usually in open G). That works well.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars