The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-24-2012, 11:49 AM

Default Sound Port?

Hey guys, I see guitars with sound ports on the top side of the guitar. What do those do? I plan on building a guitar, and the F hole sound port looks cool, but how does it effect tone? If it makes it sound better I would love to put one in it. but if its just cosmetics I'm not sure. So what difference does it make

Last edited by TreDildy; 02-24-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Mis spelling
Old 02-24-2012, 01:50 PM

The sound hole and sound ports do affect tone.

This might help:
http://www.alcarruthluthier.com/Downloads/sidePorts.pdf

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 02-24-2012, 05:12 PM

I just finished a dreadnought with Walnut back and sides and a Port Orford Cedar top. It has the standard 4" sound hole in the center and I also included a port on the side of the upper bout that's about 2" in diameter.
If I play it with the side port covered it sounds like you would expect a typical guitar to sound, but when I uncover it I get a more 'direct' sound that you'd expect from sitting in front of the guitar.
Some people notice a difference out in front of the guitar when the port is covered or uncovered. With the side port open the guitar seems to fill up the room a little more. I don't think it's any louder, just a little fuller maybe.
Anyways, the effect of the side port from a listener's perspective is minimal, but to the player it makes a big difference. I like the effect of the side port, but I could see how others may not.

Ben
Old 02-26-2012, 09:07 PM

From what I've read it helps the guitar give that "surround sound feel" and makes it easier to listen to their own playing. I would think that it opens the sound up a bit more, bit reduces clarity a bit. Not sure if its true as I;ve never played a guitar like that but i'm interested to find out

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair