The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2018, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

That's not a great price, even tho it looks great, A new one goes for around $1,600 at GC

000 Whisky Sunset

I think that's the same guitar. 70% of new is tops what I would pay for a used guitar in excellent condition - in this case $1,120. Old new stock is another story.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-26-2018, 10:38 PM

I appreciate all the tips on pricing and what not.

When I posted the thread title, it clearly spells it out... I can't have it. Not at this time.

I've never owned a Martin. This has me wanting one. That burst just blends so nicely with the Mahogany sides. To look at, this 000-17 wins the contest.

I would love to have it to look at while I play my Larrivee. Ha.!!
Old 05-27-2018, 01:34 AM

The picture? How’s it SOUND!?

Go to a dealer and play a couple these guitars sound very different from one to the next.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
I've never owned a Martin. This has me wanting one. That burst just blends so nicely with the Mahogany sides. To look at, this 000-17 wins the contest.
If you've never owned a Martin, this is probably not the one you want to start with. It will sound like what it's supposed to sound like; a low budget 1930's blues guitar. Not that big, full, rich Martin sound.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:27 AM

I like the 17 series Martins but I would bet your Om-40 is a better sounding and better made instrument.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:43 AM

Talking

CME always, and I mean ALWAYS, has given me a price break when I've purchased from them, whether new or used, and I've spent way too much money there. Obviously, the pricier the guitar, the more you can negotiate.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:28 AM

lowrider - I respectfully disagree with your comment about the guitar sounding like a budget 1930's instrument. It was designed to "look" like one but it definitely has that Martin sound. I picked up the 00L-17 Whiskey Sunset. Upon 1st strum it was a keeper. I have never played a guitar smaller than a 000 that I was pleased with till this one. Liked it so much that I ordered the 000 version the next day. And no, this was not my first Martin. I have 10 of them so I know what they are supposed to sound like.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-27-2018, 09:33 AM

And for those of you that commented on how much you liked the Martin Ambertone burst I could not agree more. I had a Custom Shop OM-21 made with the finish. Just recently I stumbled upon a New 000-28 with an Ambertone burst and couldn't walk away without it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-27-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
That's not a great price, even tho it looks great, A new one goes for around $1,600 at GC

000 Whisky Sunset

I think that's the same guitar. 70% of new is tops what I would pay for a used guitar in excellent condition - in this case $1,120. Old new stock is another story.

That guitar can had everyday of the week for $ 1200.00 from one of our sponsors.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
If you've never owned a Martin, this is probably not the one you want to start with. It will sound like what it's supposed to sound like; a low budget 1930's blues guitar. Not that big, full, rich Martin sound.
Lowrider, it won't sound like a dreadnought but Martin Triple O's have a magnificent sound of their own. It takes more technique to pull the full potential out of a Triple O, and folks who've only played dreadnoughts generally don't have as much practice doing that - dreadnoughts are probably THE most user-friendly acoustic guitars out there, in terms of being able to get a great sound out of them.

Triple O's take a little more work, and can sound a bit thin if your attack isn't where it might be, but they're worth the effort.

I've played several of the Whiskey Sunset guitars depicted, and I didn't have any trouble getting a full Martin sound out of them.

whm
Old 05-27-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendoggy View Post
The picture? How’s it SOUND!?

Go to a dealer and play a couple these guitars sound very different from one to the next.
My glass is half full.... I shop til I find one that looks good. And sounds good too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion