The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 10:15 PM

Default NGD: Stella Harmony H927

I spotted an ad for this locally, and though I wasn't in the market (honest), I figured I'd take a look and decide against buying it since most of the ones I've seen are rough. My brother had a Harmony when I was young, and I was given another by a friend a long time ago. Neither were worth keeping.

This one turned out to be in great shape and has a lot of character. The neck is a little twisted, otherwise it's a beauty -- pretty birch, decent action, and a fun bluesy sound with lots of echo. The date stamp is unreadable, but it's mid to late 60s. http://harmony.demont.net/model/237.htm

Took it apart, cleaned it up, installed some economy tuners from Stew-Mac, and threw on a set of Newtone Heritage Low Tension strings (11-47), and now I'm in love with the little beater. For $100 and some change, it's something I know I'll enjoy for a long time.

You can see in the headstock pic that there's a chip in the nut for the G string, which causes it to sound dead. Is there a fix for that without replacing the nut?

Here are some before/after pics:

I think this is the original case

Next to my Martin OM-15m

Even after using the Gorgomyte cloth, the fretboard is still filthy; my fingers after playing for just a few minutes
Old 05-26-2018, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

If you fill in the chip (and the slot) with some super glue and let it dry thoroughly, it will be as hard as the nut. You can then reshape the super glue blob with a file (if necessary to get it to look better) and cut a new slot. If you want the repair to look more white than clear, you can mix baking powder in with the super glue, making a sort of paste.

I've done this as an emergency repair and, honestly, to worked well enough that I really didn't feel a need to replace the nut in question. It should work quite well on that guitar.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
If you fill in the chip (and the slot) with some super glue and let it dry thoroughly, it will be as hard as the nut. You can then reshape the super glue blob with a file (if necessary to get it to look better) and cut a new slot. If you want the repair to look more white than clear, you can mix baking powder in with the super glue, making a sort of paste.

I've done this as an emergency repair and, honestly, to worked well enough that I really didn't feel a need to replace the nut in question. It should work quite well on that guitar.
Yes apparently premixing a little baking soda in with the super glue helps. There is a StewMac video on YouTube showing how to do it.

Oh...and congrats on that cool little blues box!
Old 05-26-2018, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

I use bone dust and superglue. Works like a charm.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:54 AM

I also use the dust and superglue. While I have never owned a Stella built as recently as yours, the board is most likely only rosewood stained which is what you probably see coming off with the dirt. Harmony was, if nothing else, consistent as all get out with its specs.

But Congrats! I have a thing for Harmony and Kay guitars. The one guitar I have kept with me for almost 55 years now is a block letter logo Harmony Sovereign I originally bought used. I have owned a bunch of Harmony Stellas over the years including a wartime guitar with the wood tailpiece. Most are gone with only a pre-War Supertone parlor (a cool art deco-looking thing which miracle of miracles does not need a neck reset and which came with its original canvas case) and one Stella concert remaining. But this one is a in name only Harmony as it was a left-over Oscar Schmidt "Westbrook Stella which Harmony rebadged and sold when they acquired the guitar making end of the Schmidt company along with the rights to the Stella and Sovereign names at the end of the 1930s. Very different build and sound from those that followed with its slotted headstock, domed back and lighter bracing. These are the guitars that have become the archetype blues guitar.

Last edited by zombywoof; 05-26-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
I also use the dust and superglue. While I have never owned a Stella built as recently as yours, the board is most likely only rosewood stained which is what you probably see coming off with the dirt. Harmony was, if nothing else, consistent as all get out with its specs.
Right. I'd read that somewhere about the board being stained, but had forgotten. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:25 AM

I hope you enjoy it, I have several. Congratulations.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:30 PM

Bottleneck slide action!
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 05-27-2018, 05:22 AM

In the picture with the new strings, it looks like you wound the low & high E's to the outside and the A,D,G,B to the inside. Is there a reason for that?
Old 05-27-2018, 06:24 AM

Nice vintage find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
threw on a set of Newtone Heritage Low Tension strings (11-47)
Tell me more about these strings - are they flexible, the tone, what are they wound with, etc.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placida View Post
Nice vintage find!

Tell me more about these strings - are they flexible, the tone, what are they wound with, etc.
Maybe it is just me but I cannot bring myself to use the words "vintage" and Harmony in the same sentence. That said there certainly are some collectible Harmony guitars - the Buck Owens model (which has probably the highest dollar value of any Harmony) the 1265 Sovereigns, the pre-1960 fat round bottom Stella 12 strings, the airplane bridge guitars of the 1920s and such.

I use the Newtone Heritage strings but only on my pre-War Regal jumbo 12 which is a pain because when it comes to 12 string sets you often have to go straight to the factory in England to get them. But this guitar has no neck reinforcement other than sheer bulk and is today worth a chunk of change. So the Heritage strings allow me to sleep a little easier with this one.

The Heritage 6 strings sets are far easier to get in the States. They are Phos Bronze and like the Newtone Master Class strings are wound on a round core so they exert less tension than strings wound on a hex core. The difference is the Heritage are also balanced. They do have a different feel to them but I obviously like they sound. In the end it may come down whether you think the Heritage strings are worth the extra cost. While I use Newtone Master Class strings on most of my acoustics, I still string my older Harmony guitars with DR Sunbeams.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:29 AM

What I particularly liked about the model you have with the light top, and you can check on yours, many of the others of mine had separation in places top from sides but this one did not and hasn't for the 5+ years that I have had it. I have mine set up for slide.

Thanks for the tip on bonedust in the thread I've been using nail repair dust.

The information I read might be wrong, but I read that the stellas like these models had stained maple fretboards.

Harriet
Old 05-27-2018, 08:10 AM

Tops or backs separating from the sides is an easy fix. I have done it more than a few times. The problem that plagues these guitars is generally the necks which is made more complicated by the fact the guitars are often worth far less than a neck reset costs.

But there is one other route the OP can take. A nice little cottage industry has grown up revolving around converting old Harmony guitars. They will reset the neck, add X bracing, a pin bridge, and a maple bridge plate. Cost varies depending on who you use but you can have it done for a lot less than you would think. I had one of my Harmony Sovereign converted. While I like the sound of these as they rolled out of the factory since I had three I figured what the heck. It was well worth it. Biggest difference is I now have a Sovereign that is rich in harmonics and responsive as all get out. Who would have thunk it.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide496 View Post
What I particularly liked about the model you have with the light top, and you can check on yours, many of the others of mine had separation in places top from sides

Harriet
Yes this was what I’ve seen before too. And terrible necks. This has neither issue, so I was happy with the find.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placida View Post
Nice vintage find!

Thanks. I haven’t used these strings before but stumbled across them and liked the low tension bit. Right now I have them tuned down a step. I like the sound so far.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion