The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2018, 02:50 PM

Default A Gibson kind of day

The weather has been pretty nasty here today so I’ve gotten to catch up on a lot of guitar playing time I haven’t gotten to do in a while. I’ve been spending the day comparing my two Gibsons, my new LG2 AE and my old trusty Gospel. It’s amazing how much the LG2 hangs with the dread volume wise, just doesn’t have the bass due to physics. The Gospel is nearly 20 years older.

I’m loving the Gibson tone. I just need a Gibson slope to round out the collection.

capture screen
Old 05-26-2018, 02:59 PM

Default Preachin' to da choir

Gibbies rawk!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:12 PM

Rainy day here too. As we have 5 Gibsons in the house chances are pretty good that it will be a Gibson kinda day. Today the CF-100 got a bit of an airing out although I probably spent more time doing some maintenance on a pair of pair of Lionel 2333 NYC F-3s.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Default A Gibson kind of day

I got up before the fam this morning and was quietly fingerpicking my J-45. Something about having dead quiet and fresh ears and a fantastic guitar is just magic. Nice looking pair. Always wanted to try out a Gospel.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:53 PM

Default Thanks for sharing!

Fantastic! I love the look of those 2. I'm on my 2nd Gibson now and absolutely love mine. I'm kinda going back and forth on whether to get another 2018 J45 Standard to replace the one that I traded away in the deal for my Wildwood AJ.. OR, going more closely along with your "little brother" theme, I really, really have my eye on the L-100 Nick Lucas, also from Wildwood.. it would look very similar to the AJ, but it has a beautifully figured back and they have it tagged as 'exotic rosewood'.. not exactly sure if that's EIR or what exactly but it's gorgeous and would be a perfect smaller companion to my AJ. it would contrast starkly with the straight-grained 'lines' of the AJ since it is not linear looking grain but almost quilted looking. fantastic. I don't know why it took me so long to be bitten by the Gibson bug, but it's pretty infectious.. i had the Taylor bug for a while, and my Cocobolo 710 pretty much knocked that out, as the only other Taylor I really GAS for at all is the K14ce Builder's Ed. and it's pretty squarely out of my budget... that being said... the Gibsons I pretty much quietly obsess over at least 2 or 3 times a day.

I love your pair of Gibbies.. curious what woods those are, as I know there are some that appear that color but are actually mahogany (j15, j35, something, not sure).. here is a pic of my new AJ, and I'll also try to find a good shot of the Nick Lucas as well which i'd love to make into a sibling. I'm not sure, but.. sometimes I think they almost look *too* similar, but then I reconsider and don't think that at all. Thanks for sharing!!

and here's a pic (if it works) of the Nick Lucas.. in the front it looks identical to the AJ, except for the inlay, and this is the back/sides.

Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku

Last edited by v32 finish; 05-26-2018 at 04:03 PM. Reason: added pic of Nick Lucas 'lil brother'.. someday
Old 05-26-2018, 04:09 PM

Darn......I need a Gibson.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:10 PM

Everyday is a great day for a Gibson!

I have a LG2 American Eagle and a J45 Standard and I find myself reaching for the J45 almost all the time now... makes me wonder if I should let the LG2 go.........?
G7th Capos
Old 05-26-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
Fantastic! I love the look of those 2. I'm on my 2nd Gibson now and absolutely love mine. I'm kinda going back and forth on whether to get another 2018 J45 Standard to replace the one that I traded away in the deal for my Wildwood AJ.. OR, going more closely along with your "little brother" theme, I really, really have my eye on the L-100 Nick Lucas, also from Wildwood.. it would look very similar to the AJ, but it has a beautifully figured back and they have it tagged as 'exotic rosewood'.. not exactly sure if that's EIR... snip

Thanks! They’re both Sitka over Mahogany. Gibson sometimes puts the reddish stain on its natural top mahogany models. The Gospel dread has a laminated arched back.

I love your AJ and that may be Gibsons most consistently good model. Taylor dreadnoughts are awesome too. I’ve always had a Taylor dread and currently have a DN8, but I’m strongly tempted to sell it and get an AJ or J45 rosewood. The back on the Nick Lucas looks phenomenal. I was nervous the smaller version of my dread would be redundant but it’s definitely different enough to merit having the two.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:19 PM

jjr- Depends on how bonded you are to it.. I have considered the same thing, but all my guitars now have a somewhat deep connection; it's tempting sometimes to think that one of them could jumpstart the funds to a new purchase, but of the 3 I own now, I just couldn't get on without any 1 of them. so I'm saving from scratch again :/ which by my estimation means that the time it will take me to save up for the next guitar I'd like to acquire will be just about.... FOREVER. but, I love my guitars and I am blessed to be their caretaker, so that's ok. I will not be lacking while I revert into saving mode.

ahorsewithnoname- you should definitely get a Gibson. I put it off for a long time and when I finally did I was quite simply and utterly blown away by both of them. i do like your martin alot, the one you posted recently w/ the armrest, but I think you would do well to add a Gibson into the mix as well!!!!

that's what I figured, sitka over mahogany. thanks- I had heard of the AJ but was never familiar with it. this one has really opened my eyes!! I also considered a rosewood J45. And it's good to hear you say that there was definitely enough merit to have the smaller one, because that's exactly what I'm worried about having 2 so similar. Totally agree re: Taylor dreads. Never played the DN8 but I've heard many people sing their praises. great thread!
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 05-26-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Rainy day here too. As we have 5 Gibsons in the house chances are pretty good that it will be a Gibson kinda day. Today the CF-100 got a bit of an airing out although I probably spent more time doing some maintenance on a pair of pair of Lionel 2333 NYC F-3s.
Ive seen your photos on the Gibson forum while researching LG2’s. Your vintage Gibson collection is awesome. I could definitely have some fun with those.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:25 PM

My local music store has a 65(i think)B25 that I sure want it's a sweet heart he just wants more for it than I want to pay... He has it for awhile so I keep hoping he will come down a little.
2017 Washburn Revival 1939 Solo Deluxe reissue (S EIR sunburst) (Amber)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
2019 Fender Mustang II V2
Old 05-26-2018, 05:55 PM

Wow, that back is gorgeous! Nice dramatic photo as well
Custom Tele
Taylor 814ce
And what evers next
Old 05-26-2018, 05:59 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrpilot View Post
Everyday is a great day for a Gibson!

I have a LG2 American Eagle and a J45 Standard and I find myself reaching for the J45 almost all the time now... makes me wonder if I should let the LG2 go.........?
Yep...every day is a Gibson day around here. And my J-45 is a perfect partner for my D-41.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 05-26-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep...every day is a Gibson day around here. And my J-45 is a perfect partner for my D-41.

Classy and beautiful duet you've got there! They look like "lifer" guitars!
G7th Capos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion