The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-03-2018, 02:39 PM

Waxing has come a long way in the last 10 years. As a member of this forum obsessing over guitar stuff, there is a similar forum on car detailing that obsesses over finishing your car's paint, and interior. It is Autopia.

For those with more than a passing interest in making you car sparkle, it is time well spent on this forum. You'll be impressed with the discussion from microfiber towels, to waterless washing, to some pretty incredible sealants.

I spent years using Nu Finish. it polishes and leaves a pretty decent finish. Yes I know it has silicone, which is the bane of car detailers, but car repair places have no trouble with cars that have it.

It's a rewarding hobby.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:32 AM

I have the "car-dude" come over every 6 months for a full detail. So, whatever he uses. Actually, I don't think it has as much to do with the specific wax as it does about the entire process (detail): clean, polish, wax.... repeat to keep it up. If you wax over unprepared paint, you're wasting your time.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
Waxing has come a long way in the last 10 years. As a member of this forum obsessing over guitar stuff, there is a similar forum on car detailing that obsesses over finishing your car's paint, and interior. It is Autopia.
I wonder if they would have any tips on what they use to wax their guitars?
Old 05-08-2018, 01:57 PM

I wax the car more because I enjoy the process of a nice afternoon working on it. It's rewarding and after 10 years the the paint on the Mini stills looks great.

The Ducati and Triumph are a whole other ballgame. The paint on both bikes REALLY needs to be cared for. With that in mind I've been using Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba for a couple of years now. That for several reasons. First of all it's the texture of warm butter and it goes on with virtually zero effort. It also removes with zero effort. Secondarily it seems to give a depth that few others have replicated. The two downsides are the wax only lasts effectively for a month or so and then the bikes need to be stripped and re-waxed. That and perhaps the biggest downside is the cost. It's expensive.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:27 AM

I like Turtlewax Blue Ice. There's a whole set of products under the name and while I don't use them all, I like the polish and detailer. I've also used the interior cleaner but mostly for the nice smell it leaves behind.

I go to the automated car wash (living in the desert means we can't wash them with the old bucket and sponge in the driveway) then "detail" the paint with Blue Ice then polish over that. I drive a Jeep so I don't wash it that often but it is nice having a shiny car for a week or so.

Best,
PJ
Old 05-22-2018, 10:35 AM

I'm a car geek, buy new every 2-3 years, keep my car(s) garaged, and wash every week, retired got the time.

Bought a "Chemical Guys" detailing "kit" which included a Port Cable orbital polisher, and I do a full detail twice a year, I keep my cars "mint".

I use Meguiars compound, ultimate polish and ultimate wax.....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 05-22-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post

For those with more than a passing interest in making you car sparkle, it is time well spent on this forum. You'll be impressed with the discussion from microfiber towels, to waterless washing, to some pretty incredible sealants.

I spent years using Nu Finish. it polishes and leaves a pretty decent finish. Yes I know it has silicone, which is the bane of car detailers, but car repair places have no trouble with cars that have it.

It's a rewarding hobby.
I wash my cars weekly and wax twice a year. I should probably wax more often what with the sun here in Florida,but I’m retired now and don’t like to think I have a real job with all this car care stuff.
I visited the Autopia site and oh man there are some hard core types there. Think I’ll stick to my Turtle Wax for now.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:22 PM

Interesting replies.
I use Meguiars Gold Class Carnuba Wax.
This stuff is so good that when it rains, my car still looks clean even after it is driven and the water dries off. No spots and dirt won't stick to the body.
It isn't easy to work with but it's worth it and a can lasts like forever.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-22-2018, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I've used a bunch. I used Meguiars Cleaner Wax for years and though it was the best.

Until I tried Liquid Glass, based on a tip from a car-detailing obsessed friend.

https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Glass-.../dp/B0002JMIEK

Thousands of reviews, and 4.5 star rating.

It's not wax. Not silicone, not oil, not grease, not teflon. They call it "clear carbon"... I'm not sure what that even is, but it is great. Ridiculously easy to use, also. Not allowed in California - so you know it must be good!
The most beautiful state in the Union, with 1 of every 10 Americans living here. It's a lot of people potentially putting bad chemicals into the water and ground. We like our beautiful state to be clean, and glad we keep tabs on such things here.

I use Maquire's. Fantastic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic