The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 04:41 PM

I’ve yet to play one I didn’t want to leave the shop with. And I’ve played more than a few. This is going to be the year! (Fingers crossed)

That said, I agree that it makes sense to try to end up with this particular guitar given the overwhelmingly positive reaction. See what you can do!
Old 04-21-2018, 04:44 PM

I just watched Tony P's review of it. The top comment made me smile. Guy wrote "Can you play some ill fretted chords out of time? I wanna see what it will sound like if I play it."
Old 04-21-2018, 05:00 PM

Just a suggestion from past experience; I would go back ASAP and if "that" guitar is still there I would play "that" guitar, and if I still felt the same way about "that" guitar I would buy, make a deposit, or whatever you can manage to do to make "THAT" guitar your guitar.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:01 PM

I gotta' admit, I can be a snooty sort when it comes to high/higher end dreads. I've owned Martins, several Collings, several Bourgeois's, a Santa Cruz, and two Altmans. I've had a tendency to look past Martins toward other high/higher end guitars the last 10+ years or so (except for a '37 D18 Authentic). That '37 D18 Authentic was the first Martin to turn my head Martin's direction in many, many, years. But in the last 9 months I played a used Martin CW and a Custom Shop Martin D21. Both sounded stellar.

Fast forward to now. A couple months ago I went to my favorite bluegrass/acoustic music store, Morgan Music, and played many of the new Collings, Bourgeois, and Martin guitars. I wasn't planning on playing any Martins but, at the last minute I decided to pick up a new D18 and wow! What a surprise! It really sounded good. Far better than I expected. If they all sound like that Martin really did their homework on that one. I haven't played a new D28 yet. But if it is as improved as the D18 they're going to make a big dent in the market. Especially at their price point. Huge bang for the buck. Now go get that D18!!

Last edited by drbluegrass; 04-21-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCity View Post
I just watched Tony P's review of it. The top comment made me smile. Guy wrote "Can you play some ill fretted chords out of time? I wanna see what it will sound like if I play it."
That is hilarious! Can’t stop laughing.

I was thinking about the D-18 all day. “Was it really that good?” I asked myself. My morning session with my OOOC was lackluster. I had to force myself to keep playing. Chords felt cramped. Nothing seemed clean. Everything was compared to the D-18. I was sitting in the woods calling for turkeys and all I could hear were G runs on the D-18. I was in church tonight listening to a woman singing out of her range and I thought I should lead service with the D-18. It’s starting to wear on me. Lol

I’m reading/heeding all of the advice, listening to my own as well, and leaning towards going back Wednesday or Thursday and trying again. If the guitar repeats its performance I’ll come up on my offer and see if they move as well. Funny thing is that I’ve been hanging onto the ring my ex-fiancé threw at me and told me to go pawn about six or seven months ago. She never liked me playing music in the house. It might be a fitting (and therapeutic) transition-diamond to D-18.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:29 PM

Default Warning* Do Not Play a New Martin D-18

Friday evening I ordered my first new guitar (D-18) from one of the forum sponsors, only to to wake up the next morning to see "Warning* Do Not Play a New Martin D-18 ". I had to laugh when I realized it was not a real warning. I compared a lot of guitars, but kept coming back to the D-18. I can't believe I will have one in just a couple more days.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorArtist View Post
Archer's Creek:

I just stumbled upon your post. Funny, 'cuz the guitar of my dreams is a D-18. I heard Jason Isbell play his on Chris Thile's radio show, and I said to myself, "NOTHING in the world sounds sweeter than that!" HOWEVER, it's $1500 above my budget. I just bought a new Guild F-150 mini Jumbo for 6 and a half, and it has a good, well-balanced sound. It's NOT a D-18 fer shure, but it sounds good enough to hold me until I save up enough to buy that D-18. Funny how we have the same great hearing!

2017 Guild F-150 Mini Jumbo
That's how I feel about the Martin D18. (Bought a Martin DM Mahogany Dreadnought second hand which was way more affordable and I'm loving instead, but who knows .... maybe one day).
Old 04-21-2018, 09:37 PM

Default *Warning* Do Not Play a New Martin D-18 ...

I solidified today that the D-18 is my favorite Martin dread I’ve played so far. Was wanting a D-28 and thought about selling my D18, but I miss the D-18 growl every time I play the D-28. It’s just missing something in the mids for me, and sounds too scooped which is what I liked about the D18 in the first place.

Keeping my trusty old D-18
Old 04-22-2018, 05:13 AM

Hot for a Martin D-18 and dont have the cash?? Takamine EF-340tt. All the dimensions, all the tone, 2/3 the price. I'm a faithful Martin guy, own two, but this Takamine is really something else. Try one.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:41 AM

The D-18 is a cannon....I'd love to have one. Too bad dread bodies just don't work for me. But I took a spin on a new 000-18 the other day. Wow.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:32 AM

Default *Warning* Do Not Play a New Martin D-18 ...

I won't...

Y'see, I'm getting to the point in life where playing comfort means as much (if not more) to my musical satisfaction - not to mention my continued longevity as a guitarist - as tone...

I passed on a phenomenal first-run '37 D-18 Authentic at MandoBros several years ago, that my normally-jaded guitar-playing wife aptly described as "mind-blowing" (and would have gladly forked over the $5K price of admission to add to our mutual collection) - easily one of the finest Martins of any vintage I've played in the last 55 years, and one that quickly made its way to Stan Jay's personal stash (small wonder) - as even a short workout was causing left-hand cramps...

It's a very rare 1-3/4" neck that I can handle comfortably for any length of time - certainly not enough for an all-night gig or extended jam - and even a narrower neck had better have the right shape, or it's a no-go regardless of how good it sounds...

I'd have to go through the Custom Shop to have one made to order with a shallow soft-D 1-11/16" neck - and for what I'd be paying there are a number of better options IMO...
Old 04-22-2018, 12:11 PM

Guitars have always been very individual to me. The same make and model is not the same guitar. I think of production guitars as built to a bell curve - a few terrible ones and a few great ones and the majority decent to mediocre in between.
When you find a great one, grab it! $250 is a small premium to pay for an outstanding instrument.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermithollow View Post
Guitars have always been very individual to me. The same make and model is not the same guitar. I think of production guitars as built to a bell curve - a few terrible ones and a few great ones and the majority decent to mediocre in between.
When you find a great one, grab it! $250 is a small premium to pay for an outstanding instrument.
I can't agree with this. To say that most D18s being produced are mediocre with just a few duds and just a few great ones is misleading. I think that the process of making these guitars is well defined and consistency is good. I'd be more inclined to say that although there may be an occasional dud, MOST D18s today are very good guitars.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I can't agree with this. To say that most D18s being produced are mediocre with just a few duds and just a few great ones is misleading. I think that the process of making these guitars is well defined and consistency is good. I'd be more inclined to say that although there may be an occasional dud, MOST D18s today are very good guitars.

I agree completely. I have played a number of D-18’s since the redesigned them in 2012, and they are very consistent.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:46 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermithollow View Post
To my ears - and apparently the ears of lots of other folks given their sales - the majority of guitars coming out of Nazareth are much better than “decent to mediocre.” The D-18 is just one stellar example of that fact...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion