The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
How do you know that?
Because the manager bluntly told me!
Old 04-21-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
If he is telling you the truth, that is definitely shady.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:09 PM

Gee, GC doing something shady???

WHAAA?

No wonder they're circling the financial drain.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:05 AM

I'm still struggling with the concept of buying a used, unplayed, acoustic guitar from GC.

Receiving one that's damaged isn't that big of a surprise, is it?
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-23-2018, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

We sure have come a long way. It's only been a few years since our primary collective gripe with Guitar Center was getting the case that should have been included with a guitar purchase and not having to pay extra...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 04-23-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I'm still struggling with the concept of buying a used, unplayed, acoustic guitar from GC.
When you get the guitar and play it you have the option of saying "no thanks" within 45 days for a full refund. It's kind of like expanding the used selection at your local GC by hundreds of guitars.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 04-23-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Remember..........example comes from the top! The OWNER of GC instructed the manager to sell the returned instruments from the collector as NEW items and in some cases the instruments were several months old. If one manager was instructed to do so would it not make sense that it's GC's standard mode of doing business in general?
Guitar Center is corporately owned...there is NO one owner per se'

The store managers have a fair amount of control/discretion on returns, so it most often really depends on the mindset of the given store manager.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 04-23-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Guitar Center is corporately owned...there is NO one owner per se'

The store managers have a fair amount of control/discretion on returns, so it most often really depends on the mindset of the given store manager.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
My experience was just before Bain Capital purchased GC in 2007.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
My experience was just before Bain Capital purchased GC in 2007.
I recently had a similar experience with Guitar Center. I ordered a used guitar and had it delivered to my local store. The guitar was listed with a case and accessories including a capo, strap and sound hole cover. When I got the guitar there was no case or accessories. The local store rep called the store I ordered it from and was advised there is no case so I declined the guitar. My local store listed the guitar with the exact same listing that states there is a case and accessories. I called the store to see if the case had been located and it had not. The listing is still there and has not been changed. I have found some good buys on line at Guitar Center but I have also had some frustrating experiences too.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjh111222 View Post
I recently had a similar experience with Guitar Center. I ordered a used guitar and had it delivered to my local store. The guitar was listed with a case and accessories including a capo, strap and sound hole cover. When I got the guitar there was no case or accessories. The local store rep called the store I ordered it from and was advised there is no case so I declined the guitar. My local store listed the guitar with the exact same listing that states there is a case and accessories. I called the store to see if the case had been located and it had not. The listing is still there and has not been changed. I have found some good buys on line at Guitar Center but I have also had some frustrating experiences too.
From my experience, I'm pretty sure that the store manager can not change listings even if they want to. They do have policies designed to address fraud. Because of this, I can see a reason not to allow the changing of the description from what the original person wrote.

GC employees have a great variety of skill and intelligence, just like a cross section of society. I know who to deal with at my GC. They take care of me, and are by far my favorite retail store to deal with in regards to service.

It's about the relationship for me. The store manager always sees me when I come in the store and makes a point to speak with me. I have bought a lot and gotten many good deals. I have also had a few disappointments which are always taken care of by their liberal 45 day return policy, 3 days on vintage BTW.

I never could develop a good relationship with the local mom and pop full service music store, and I tried. GC, in my smallish town is a eating their lunch. I attribute it to the store manager at GC. He's a good business man because he works with the resources available.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient tones View Post
From my experience, I'm pretty sure that the store manager can not change listings even if they want to. They do have policies designed to address fraud. Because of this, I can see a reason not to allow the changing of the description from what the original person wrote.

GC employees have a great variety of skill and intelligence, just like a cross section of society. I know who to deal with at my GC. They take care of me, and are by far my favorite retail store to deal with in regards to service.

It's about the relationship for me. The store manager always sees me when I come in the store and makes a point to speak with me. I have bought a lot and gotten many good deals. I have also had a few disappointments which are always taken care of by their liberal 45 day return policy, 3 days on vintage BTW.

I never could develop a good relationship with the local mom and pop full service music store, and I tried. GC, in my smallish town is a eating their lunch. I attribute it to the store manager at GC. He's a good business man because he works with the resources available.
I didn't know they could not change a prior listing if it is needed. It seems like the store is setting themselves up for a problem if they can't change an error in a prior listing. I agree the 45 day return policy is very nice. I have tried out a few guitars at Guitar Center that did not work out and brought them back with no questions asked. If I had purchased them at other on line stores it would have cost me a lot more to try out the guitars.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjh111222 View Post
I didn't know they could not change a prior listing if it is needed. It seems like the store is setting themselves up for a problem if they can't change an error in a prior listing. I agree the 45 day return policy is very nice. I have tried out a few guitars at Guitar Center that did not work out and brought them back with no questions asked. If I had purchased them at other on line stores it would have cost me a lot more to try out the guitars.
I don't know that for a fact. It's pure speculation as the manager seems like he would if he could change the description.

I hear you on the returns. My local mom and pop store sold me a microphone that did not work for my purpose. I was admittedly ignorant on the subject. I bought based on their advice and ended up with a store credit that expired in a year.

I'm curious, any other GC good experiences?
Old 04-23-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient tones View Post
I don't know that for a fact. It's pure speculation as the manager seems like he would if he could change the description.

I hear you on the returns. My local mom and pop store sold me a microphone that did not work for my purpose. I was admittedly ignorant on the subject. I bought based on their advice and ended up with a store credit that expired in a year.

I'm curious, any other GC good experiences?
I recently bought my Martin DCPA4 Rosewood from GC in great shape and for a very good price. I am very happy with that purchase. I also purchased a Gold Star mando guitar last year that was in mint condition and way under market value. There are deals there if you look for them and are patient.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

I've traded a couple of guitars to GC - both in excellent condition and that's how they were listed. OTOH, I've been charged extra for a case that is listed as included with the guitar. That's dishonest. In one other case, the listing included a "deluxe case" and when I purchased the guitar, it was provided with the "standard" case. When I complained, they ordered the deluxe case, then proceeded to upcharge me when I came to get it. Unless it's an accessory that I can touch, I'm not buying guitars from GC anymore. Solving financial problems by being dishonest in their transactions isn't going to work.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 04-23-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
It also could be that all he was doing is shifting the blame.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion