The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
You must have used your other eye then

It's legit.
Yes. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
OK.. Maybe someone made a mistake?

Defective items returned at GC are supposed to go to a "holding" shelf. That the operations manager checks in. They don't or shall I say, not supposed to place the item back on "floor" or for resale.

If you are inclined.. why not call the store manager and kindly let them know. I am sure they would want to remove it from the web site.
I dealt with the GC store manager when I auditioned and then purchased a new Martin last year. I also dealt with him when I returned the guitar after discovering a crack in the ebony fretboard running down from the 11th fret, through the end of the fretboard, and continuing through the top to the soundhole.

He made a pretty good speech, apologizing and talking about sending the guitar back to Martin. I'm assuming he was the one who decided to put the guitar back out on the floor at full price the next day.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 04-21-2018, 10:26 AM

Just a quick thought here: Whenever I spot an item that looks interesting on GC's used site, I call the dealer and ask for more pictures. Tell them specifically what to photograph. I've never has any trouble getting more details that way.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:05 PM

I’ve only bought one used guitar from GC because of the salesman on the phone was a performing musician that worked at the New Orleans GC.
His description was dead accurate and he was playing the guitar while I was on the phone with him.
I agree with the poster here who stated GC will sell returned items until that item stops returning......largely I assume because they’re a volume dealer and not interested or have time to return to makers for repairs etc...
. Buyer beware eh?

Last edited by WildcatGuitar; 04-21-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulaha View Post
Generally when the re-post the listing, they use the same post and re-activate it. I wouldn’t call it dishonest, it’s more like lazy. They simply don’t care.
How about lazily dishonest?

I would email the manager of the store and link it to this thread.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
How about lazily dishonest?

I would email the manager of the store and link it to this thread.

LOL...............you actually think the manager cares! My local GC manager sold me a used Eric Johnson Strat as new. Original warranty card was inside case compartment filled out by original customer. I called the customer......he had owned guitar for 6mo. and returned it. It was sold to me as new. When I called the manager on his dishonesty I was told the customer was a collector who always bought two of every instrument and then returned one of them 30 days later AND THAT THE OWNER of GC told the manager to sell returned items "as new" Well..........the customer I called told me he owned it for 6mo. I explained to the manager and his reply was ....."sometimes he went over to 30 day return a bit". The quicker they close their doors, the better off the industry will be.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
No one at GC wants to deal with this expensive liability so they kick the can down the road.
I've seen them do that a number of times. Often they'll ship it off to another store and let the manager there deal with it. It's a great method for ensuring that their reputation stays at the same low rung of the ladder.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
LOL...............you actually think the manager cares! My local GC manager sold me a used Eric Johnson Strat as new. Original warranty card was inside case compartment filled out by original customer. I called the customer......he had owned guitar for 6mo. and returned it. It was sold to me as new. When I called the manager on his dishonesty I was told the customer was a collector who always bought two of every instrument and then returned one of them 30 days later AND THAT THE OWNER of GC told the manager to sell returned items "as new" Well..........the customer I called told me he owned it for 6mo. I explained to the manager and his reply was ....."sometimes he went over to 30 day return a bit". The quicker they close their doors, the better off the industry will be.
I would think it would depend on each individual manager. It people are liars, they are liars. If they are truthful, they wouldn't do that. I don't believe every GC manager is a liar.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:15 PM

Relisting a returned guitar for sale would probably not matter to anyone. Accuracy, honesty and full disclosure in the listing is extremely important.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
I would think it would depend on each individual manager. It people are liars, they are liars. If they are truthful, they wouldn't do that. I don't believe every GC manager is a liar.

Remember..........example comes from the top! The OWNER of GC instructed the manager to sell the returned instruments from the collector as NEW items and in some cases the instruments were several months old. If one manager was instructed to do so would it not make sense that it's GC's standard mode of doing business in general?

Last edited by hifivic; 04-21-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Always ask for more detailed pictures from GC. They don't always put the best ones up. I have emailed a couple of times about guitars (used) that I was interested in and they were more than happy to send detailed pics.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:24 PM

A new guitar that was sold and then returned is still a new guitar because it wasn't actually sold.

If every new guitar that was shipped and returned was classified as a used guitar it would have to be sold at the used guitar price. Dealers would go broke doing this. Also the warranty would not be available.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
A new guitar that was sold and then returned is still a new guitar because it wasn't actually sold.

If every new guitar that was shipped and returned was classified as a used guitar it would have to be sold at the used guitar price. Dealers would go broke doing this. Also the warranty would not be available.

I hope folks who sell underwear don’t have this same mindset.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
Remember..........example comes from the top! The OWNER of GC instructed the manager to sell the returned instruments from the collector as NEW items and in some cases the instruments were several months old. If one manager was instructed to do so would it not make sense that it's GC's standard mode of doing business in general?
How do you know that?
Old 04-21-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneh View Post
I bought a Collings 000c used from them online in supposed excellent condition and when I got it it had an obvious center seam either crack or separation. You could see and feel it. I returned it the same day it arrived and told them and showed it to them. They agreed and apologized the other store didnt check it first. I said I am sure they knew since it was so obvious.

Today I find the same guitar I returned on Wednesday, 2 days later, listed for sale from the store I returned it to and still in excellent condition. Before this I have never had an issue with GC but this is plain wrong and dishonest to resell it and still call it excellent.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Co...stic-Guitar.gc
I had a similar thing happen to me with them back in December when I bought a used Larrivee. But in my case I called the store in TX that listed it before I bought, and though it was listed in great condition, I learned it had a crack, and negotiated a $200 discount.

When I got it, I took it to a luthier and found the repairs needed would exceed the value so I returned it to my local GC, showing them the problem, and as a last ditch effort, trying to get more discount instead of a refund. No dice.
The next day it was back up for sale on the site, at full list and described as being in Great condition.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion