The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-07-2018, 08:26 AM

Talking Flamenco/Classical for Fingerstyle/Chords (say what?)

Budget under $2000 CAD - Can be with electronics or not - solid wood or not - I've tried a few models but local stores don't have much here.

Hey so I readily admit I have a nylon string fetish, even though I'm more familiar with steel string acoustics, and mostly play folk/eastern fusion/soul/some country.
I know, it's not conventional, or even rational.
I have some peculiar preferences which may help explain it (somewhat)
1) I only use fingers/flesh for fingerstyle and chords. (refuse to use picks, grow nails, clip ons and that's not changing)
2) I prefer the softer tone of nylon to steel regardless of the format
3) I don't like to play loud or need to "cut through" anything.
4) I am up for the wider neck, but could also look at crossovers since I'm actually used to steel-string acoustic guitars

And while I'm not looking for a guitar that sounds like a steel acoustic, I know the nylon is softer/quieter and if there are some designs/woods that bring out more tone/volume, then that is welcome here for sure.
So even though some of you will be screaming "just stick to acoustic you weirdo" : )
I am grateful in advance for your suggestions with the above in mind.

Thanks

Last edited by microscope; 04-07-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:59 AM

Regarding the musical styles you play and the use you intend it for, nylon-string guitars are as good as any, in my opinion.

You weren't very specific in what you want on the guitar. You say you don't like to play loud but would like a guitar that brings out more tone/volume? Flamenco guitars are usually louder, and classical guitars have better tone. You also accept crossovers but only mention neck dimensions. Do you need amplification as well?
Crucially, though, it all depends on what your budget is.

Have you gone to shops and tried any models ? Was there anything you liked?
Old 04-07-2018, 10:46 AM

I’d suggest you look at flamenco models and then find a good match with strings. Not playing with nails, strings are very important. Look for trebles which provide enough grip to the fingertips and sound not too dull. Hannabach Goldin are pretty good as well as Aquila Ambra 900. I’d also go for high tension as they might sound better when strummed. Anyway, unconventional choice but not necessarily a bad one, IMHO. Watch this video, the player has nails but it’s the strumming which sounds nice.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:32 PM

No picks or nails here either.

If you like the sound of nylon, spiffy. I mostly play steel string, but there are some pieces that just cry for that nylon sound.

But as previously mentioned, nylon does not necessarily mean less volume. My flamenco can easily outshout any of my steel string dreadnoughts.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:29 PM

Yamaha NTX1200R, but only when plugged in. Play with the EQ on amp and guitar, try with nails (I do) or without, and with picks (I prefer 1mm). Great response to those taps you make while doing flamenco.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:31 AM

I transitioned from steel string to 100% (one guitar man) flamenco one year ago. I still play the same styles, mainly folk and blues.

My flamenco guitar gives me more tones to play with, is louder than my old steel strings and can be deep and bright depending on the strings and how I hit the strings. I use normal tension basses and HT carbon (Savarez Alliance) trebles B and G and normal tension E.

I was worried about the flat and wide neck too. I initially had a crossover, but after just a couple of months moved to the flamenco. I actually prefer the flat neck and perform better on it.

The lower tension, compared to steel strings, is an absolute joy.

On my right hand, I have my nails only slightly long. That's enough. I mean, that if I have my palm facing my face and have my fingers are eye level, I can only just see the tip of the nail. That's enough for me.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 04-09-2018, 05:53 AM

sirwhale

Thanks for sharing. Sounds about where I am moving towards. What flamenco guitar do you have?
Old 04-09-2018, 05:55 AM

Villamarzia

What flamenco guitars would you suggest? Thanks
Old 04-09-2018, 05:56 AM

menhir

What flamenco guitar do you have? Thx
Old 04-09-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microscope View Post
sirwhale

Thanks for sharing. Sounds about where I am moving towards. What flamenco guitar do you have?
Camps Primera Negra A (could not be happier with this guitar on every level, what a great brand)

See my videos in my signature (youtube link)
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 04-09-2018, 11:22 AM

Camps get very good reviews, also Cordoba is producing good flamenco guitars. I am a vintage guitar guy, so probably not the best one to point any purchase of new guitars though. And vintage flamenco guitars can be very tricky.. light constructed, beaten for thousands of hours.. definitely a try before you buy thing...
Old 04-09-2018, 03:46 PM

I hang out mostly on the foro flamenco forum and I know the Camps flamencos have a solid reputation on that board - lots of excellent flamenco players on foro flamenco!

Cordoba does a good job with their classical guitars, but it's my humble opinion that their flamenco guitars are marginal. For the same money you spend on a GK Pro, you can score a Navarro Student Flamenco or a nice Camps Flamenco. I noticed that Guitar Salon International carries both Camps and Navarro Student Flamencos. Both don't stay in stock long, so that's a good sign.

I own a Navarro Student Blanca and it's a really nice instrument...a bit heavier than my Navarro Reyes, which is a concert level guitar, but it's a great guitar at it's price point of $1,300.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microscope View Post
menhir

What flamenco guitar do you have? Thx
Rodriguez FF.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:23 AM

Nice suggestions thx.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:08 AM

Córdoba C9, C10 or C12, maybe the spruce topped ones. Very good values and great tone. Also the Solista model and even the Spanish made CO 45 models. Yamaha’s NTX models are fantastic sounding plugged in but a bit lacking from a purely acoustic standpoint, in my experience. Jerry Reed, Chet Atkins, Steve Warner, Earl Klugh, and of course Willie Nelson, just to name a few. They have all made and still make some great music on nylon strings. Godin’s multiac nylon models are very fine if you prefer playing electrified.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
classical guitar, country, fingerstyle, flamenco guitar, folk