The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-23-2017, 05:00 AM

Default Classical guitar recommendation for beginner

Hi All

I am looking to buy a classical guitar. I am a new learner. My interest in guitar study / playing is mainly Blues, but also interested in some easy and simple classical, folk and jazz too.

What make and model is the best? Go for New or Old?
Budget is low about 100 - 200 ukp max. cheers

Last edited by Theleman; 11-23-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:38 AM

Yamaha C40 seems to get praise- I don't have one.

I like Cordobas because they have a truss rod, and I think that increases the length of viability, because necks tend to bend over time- 12-15 years and you have to get a new guitar otherwise.

The Iberia series is best - there are a lot of C5s used on the market these days-warm sounding cedar tops, mahogany back and sides, usually good quality
if you go through Guitar Center- they have a good refund policy that keeps you from getting burned

I've bought blems on ebay with "defects" you can't even see that are new condition otherwise at substantial savings
a new C5 I think retails for $300- so maybe you could go that high or find one used.

Epiphone puts out a cedar top classical guitar for just over $100- but I haven't seen one personally

Last edited by harpon; 11-23-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:54 AM

Thank you for your recommendation.

I read that Classical guitars usually don't need truss rod due to soft nylon strings on them, and they do not stress the neck as such? But then necks can bend by environmental factors I suppose.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=184006

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=166035

Do high end more expensive classical guitars usually have truss rod?
Old 11-23-2017, 09:36 AM

Generally speaking classical's have no need of a truss-rod. At your price-point and location, I would speak with my teacher and see what they recommend that's available to you in GB. Used will always get you the best guitar for your money.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:52 PM

if You have access to Córdoba guitars, the C3 is easily in your price range and it has a solid top. In recent years, some manufacturers have begun using truss rods in nylon string guitars. I do not see truss rods as a bad thing. Another option from Córdoba is the C5. Great value guitars but probably more like 225ukp or so. They do make a 7/8 size C5 Dolce that might be just a bit over your max. They are a bit less than the standard C5 here in the US. The Dolce is the same solid cedar top, mahogany back and sides, but has a slightly narrower nut width, and a slightly shorter scale length (630mm). You may find the very slightly smaller size of the Dolce very comfortable.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:39 AM

Well my own experience has been that my first two classical guitars- a Korean Bentley student guitar- I bought in 1993, and a Takamine I bought to replace that one about 1999- both the necks developed steady bend over time- using only normal tension strings, although light gauge seemed to slow the process perhaps, when I started running out of bridge bone to file anymore, and I finally sold them while they were still playable. I like a really low action.

I also found on the Takamine that polyurethane clear-coating the neck also slowed the rate of bending down although it does add a slight bit of weight to a non-resonating part of the guitar.

I was glad that Cordoba started adding the truss rods I think the Epiphone has one too-

and although probably too early to tell in my experience- besides allowing for the adjustment in action- I think the rod itself helps diminish neck bend I have usually adjusted the rod when I've gotten a guitar- although this may take several stages- because you shouldn't force it all. Yet after a period of time you can turn it some more if you need to. Once I've got it set I rarely ever adjust it again. Cordoba has a slight reputation for slightly high action out of the box I think- but it does adjust lower
Old 11-25-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpon View Post
Well my own experience has been that my first two classical guitars- a Korean Bentley student guitar- I bought in 1993, and a Takamine I bought to replace that one about 1999- both the necks developed steady bend over time- using only normal tension strings, although light gauge seemed to slow the process perhaps, when I started running out of bridge bone to file anymore, and I finally sold them while they were still playable. I like a really low action.

I also found on the Takamine that polyurethane clear-coating the neck also slowed the rate of bending down although it does add a slight bit of weight to a non-resonating part of the guitar.
I have seen one of my mate's Korean made cheap student classical guitar, and it was from sometime during 1990s too. But his guitar neck was OK, no bending at all.

Is the place where you live, very high humidity area, and high temperature?
Old 11-25-2017, 06:06 PM

Most of that time I was in Los Angeles where I took guitar class at LA City College for several years on Saturdays. High temps low humidity where the lady becomes a tramp most, and so I'm banned by Boston, fearing another Amanda.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:11 PM

The best I have tried in the lower price ranges, a short while back, were Katoh, but I don't know how easy they are to find. High on performance, low on bling.

Of the commoner makes, I would be looking at Cordoba and Alhambra.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:42 PM

Check out the Cordoba C5ce,Execellent well made instrument and the onboard electronics are perfect!. Had mine for over 2 years and it`s a Keeper!.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theleman View Post
Hi All

I am looking to buy a classical guitar. I am a new learner. My interest in guitar study / playing is mainly Blues, but also interested in some easy and simple classical, folk and jazz too.

What make and model is the best? Go for New or Old?
Budget is low about 100 - 200 ukp max. cheers
I don't think there's a best but there are several good options.
I've always been impressed with Takamine and Yamaha's quality in the budget line. I don't have experience with Cordoba. Another one worth checking out is Alvarez. If you buy used you'll certainly get more for your money. Also check out the Merida Trajan line - good value for the price.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve f View Post
I don't think there's a best but there are several good options.
I've always been impressed with Takamine and Yamaha's quality in the budget line. I don't have experience with Cordoba. Another one worth checking out is Alvarez. If you buy used you'll certainly get more for your money. Also check out the Merida Trajan line - good value for the price.
Cordoba seems very popular and gets good recommendation. I have never thought Takamine does classical guitars but will have a look at them as well along with Yamaha. I am totally unfamiliar with Alvarez make, but yes will add to the list.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpon View Post
Yamaha C40 seems to get praise- I don't have one.

I like Cordobas because they have a truss rod, and I think that increases the length of viability, because necks tend to bend over time- 12-15 years and you have to get a new guitar otherwise.

The Iberia series is best - there are a lot of C5s used on the market these days-warm sounding cedar tops, mahogany back and sides, usually good quality
if you go through Guitar Center- they have a good refund policy that keeps you from getting burned

I've bought blems on ebay with "defects" you can't even see that are new condition otherwise at substantial savings
a new C5 I think retails for $300- so maybe you could go that high or find one used.

Epiphone puts out a cedar top classical guitar for just over $100- but I haven't seen one personally
I have a Yamaha C40 and love it. I think I paid around $150 for it, so right in your price range. The C40 is the guitar my classical guitar teacher recommends to most folks who are just starting out on classical guitar.

Took me a little while to settle on strings, but I recently put on some D'Addario Pro Arte - Titanium Trebles that sound great.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:26 PM

Pro Arte a great workhorse string, but their EXP coated strings really do seem to last longer, and maybe worth the extra cost, if you don't want to change strings as much or maybe just the trebles as you have done with the titanium.

I'm just experimenting a little with rectified nylon and some nylgut, and all complicated by my playing a lot on Cordoba 3/4 and 7/8 size guitars,

yet essentially, I don't like to change strings too often- more a chore as one gets older.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:06 PM

Does Yamaha C40 have truss rod?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical