The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-30-2013, 06:38 AM

Default Callus pain

Hi,
I've been playing for over years but in the past few years I keep getting this pain under the callus on my middle finger. Sometimes it looks like a little black spot there. Almost like a little blood blister under the skin.

It comes whenever I play a lot and takes weeks to leave. I can play while it's there but it sure does take away from the enjoyment.

Anybody ever experience anything like this?
Flambeau LFG-4 classical
Old 07-30-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booswalia View Post
Hi,
I've been playing for over years but in the past few years I keep getting this pain under the callus on my middle finger. Sometimes it looks like a little black spot there. Almost like a little blood blister under the skin.

It comes whenever I play a lot and takes weeks to leave. I can play while it's there but it sure does take away from the enjoyment.

Anybody ever experience anything like this?
Yes I've had a couple of those on my thumb - I use a file and keep the callus filed down and it hasn't been happening.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide496 View Post
Yes I've had a couple of those on my thumb - I use a file and keep the callus filed down and it hasn't been happening.
Really? File down your calluses???
Flambeau LFG-4 classical
Old 07-30-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booswalia View Post
Really? File down your calluses???
Yes, but not with a metal file or a proper nail file - one of those 4 sided nail buffers they sell in CVS - I think the blood blister comes from the callus getting hard and the pressure/friction of it damaging underneath layers.

I try to catch it before the callus becomes too hard and the friction starts something up, I leave a little, don't file them off completely. Maybe others have different ideas. If pain starts I'm careful not to make it worse - rest it and or wear a pick and only work on that material that I can play with a pick. As you noted it takes a while for it to heal once it starts.

Last edited by slide496; 07-30-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide496 View Post
Yes, but not with a metal file or a proper nail file - one of those 4 sided nail buffers they sell in CVS - I think the blood blister comes from the callus getting hard and the pressure/friction of it damaging underneath layers.

I try to catch it before the callus becomes too hard and the friction starts something up, I leave a little, don't file them off completely. Maybe others have different ideas. If pain starts I'm careful not to make it worse - rest it and or wear a pick and only work on that material that I can play with a pick. As you noted it takes a while for it to heal once it starts.
Thanks. I'll give it a try. Not sure what CVS is but I'm sure I'll find one in a drug store.
Flambeau LFG-4 classical
Old 07-30-2013, 01:24 PM

CVS is the name of a drug store chain here (I take it you're not in the US?). You should be able to find what you need in any drug store where you are.

Jack

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write