The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-14-2018, 07:17 AM

Default NAD - Vox MV50 AC and BC112 cab

Okay, I don't do the "pics or it didn't happen" thing, to much of a hassle.

I made the 1.5 hour trip to Harry's Guitar Shop in Raleigh, NC yesterday to look at the Vox MV Nutube line and the AV30. What I expected to happen: Buy the MV50 Clean as a pedal platform, order a Mid-grade 112 cab (I was looking at the Bugera) and a hot Wax dual overdrive for dirt.

The MV50 Clean was impressive and stayed VERY clean up to about 2/3rds volume. Past that it grew a little bit of hair. A very warm, Blackface type clean. I plugged into the MV50 AC and that was it. Holy cow. Sounded very good through the mini cab, the BC108 - more like most 10" cabs. Plenty of bass, but a punch kind, no big roundness to the tone. Pretty dang loud though, enough for an average bar gig with a light-medium handed drummer. Plugged into the BC112 and I was floored. I cannot imagine any gig where this setup would not be enough.

Running into an 8 ohm cabinet, it runs at 25 watts. It is a REAL 25 watts, not ss ones. It can easily keep up with a DRRI. Mondo loud. For purists that decry the NUtube technology and say they aren't "real tubes", I say BS. Play one and see. Cleans up beautifully with the volume knob and pick attack makes it go from semi-clean to growling Blues tone.

I tried the AV30 and was totally underwhelmed after playing the MV50's.

For point of reference, I know tube amps. I have owned and played through: Alamo Jet, Alamo Challenger, Fender Blues Deluxe, a real 57' Champ, Kalamazoo model 1, Laney Cub 10, Fender Champion 600 RI, Gibson Explorer, Silvertone 1482 and many that I cannot remember.

I was so wowed that I bought both the BC108 and 112 cabinet. The 108 will suffice for most of my gigs, the 112 cab was for me and my personal gratification. Not cheap at 3 bills for a 112 but man, it is a nice cab.

Yeah, I coulda bought an AC10 or a Bugera V22 but this is the tone, versatility and simplicity I wanted.

If anyone has any doubts about the Vox MV line, I urge you to go play one. I think you will be impressed.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-14-2018, 08:22 AM

I know what I'm getting from my V22 and V5 - impressed more than a few experienced players with both - but if this one is as good as you say it is I've gotta check it out...
Old 04-14-2018, 09:24 AM

Default Great option for small car gigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I know what I'm getting from my V22 and V5 - impressed more than a few experienced players with both - but if this one is as good as you say it is I've gotta check it out...
Yeah, I know you highly tout the Bugera line. I have played both the V22 and V5. I really liked the V5, great little practice amp with excellent reverb. A little dark tonewise IMO.

I have very little experience with the V22, but have played through one.

One big consideration for me Steve, is a portability/size issue. The BC112 is the same size (more or less) as the V22. When I need V22 type of power though, I can take this 1 lb. head and line out to our pa, using the small BC108 as a stage monitor.

For larger gigs we have to load 3 guitars, a banjo, small PA, mic stands and all that goes with that stuff - in a COROLLA!

If you get a chance to try one, I urge you to do so. They are impressive with genuine tube sound and attack sensitivity.

The MV50 Boutiques will be out in a few weeks, it is supposed to be based on a Dumble and the sound clips are impressive.

Here is a link to the Vox page with sound clips, check em out if you have time. http://voxamps.com/MV50Boutique

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
bc112 cabinet, mv50, mv50 ac, nutube, vox