The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-01-2013, 09:05 AM

"In my experience with worship groups, the intro needs to be short - usually less than a full verse or full chord - folks lose interest and will get confused."

I'm going to mention this to my friend the minister. She's writing a sermon for this Sunday. No wonder when she's given sermons in the past she's had people say it will require some thought. She needs to keep her sermons to just a triad.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanVigne View Post
"In my experience with worship groups, the intro needs to be short - usually less than a full verse or full chord - folks lose interest and will get confused."

I'm going to mention this to my friend the minister. She's writing a sermon for this Sunday. No wonder when she's given sermons in the past she's had people say it will require some thought. She needs to keep her sermons to just a triad.
Funny!

In seminary, one of my profs said it succinctly: "If you haven't got your point across in 10 minutes, you might better just sit down because you've lost them anyways." A little hyperbole perhaps, but I've always believed that short and sweet is best.

STeve
Old 08-01-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

I was thinking…Sweet Home Alabama…California Dreamin'…Dust in the Wind

Yeah, one of the first ones I thought of was California Dreamin'. Another classic intro is California Girls by the Beach Boys.

Another Beach Boys intro that I always liked is Wouldn't it Be Nice. I love that drum clap toward the end after all those delicate arpeggios. I imagine that drummer giving the other musicians a slap in the face saying "snap out of it!"

I think someone already mentioned Hotel California for arpeggios. A non-arpeggio Eagle's intro that I like is One of These Nights. It's interestingly not melodic at all but there's enough going on musically to suck you right in...
Old 08-01-2013, 02:21 PM

One thing I do a lot is fade-ins. What I do is take some element of the song and twist it to something ethereal and fade in with that, then slowly it morphs into the song.

Sometimes I do a similar progression or riff from the song and turn it backwards (obviously can't do that live). Last song which was in B-minor I had a simple descending interlude with the open D-string as root. The song before that had some arpeggiated chords that ended with the V chord and then the I faded in (add9 version of it).

For me the most interesting thing is I sometimes write the intro first and that in turn will inspire the rest of the song.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitloop View Post
One thing I do a lot is fade-ins. What I do is take some element of the song and twist it to something ethereal and fade in with that, then slowly it morphs into the song.
Actually, I did that with my last tune...a slow rise into the song. I addition, I also faded out. I kind of like capturing 'a moment in time' feel.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write