The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-20-2018, 05:28 PM

On the ones I have seen there is not enough room for a floating pickup. Either the fretboard is very slightly elevated or glued right to the top.

Rather than cut a hole in the top I did use one of these on the Regal in the video. It worked well.

http://www.lacemusic.com/USA_Acoustic.php
Old 04-23-2018, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

A while ago I bought a bottom of the barrel "Amplificator" that if I were to guess, I'd say it was a rebranded Stella. Needed a reset, a refret, and tuners. It had painted on binding and fake flame maple paint. I believe it to be late 40s early 50s.

I took the back off, shaved the braces some, and glued a set of JJB pickups under the bridge area. I jacked the neck back into position and reglued the back on. I had to then trim the back which was overhanging the sides about 1/4 inch. I then bound the guitar in real plain white binding and used Gibson type frets on it.

It has a very funky tone, and the pickups work great. Loud, brash and very little sustain. It is great for old time and Americana music. Almost all of these are in horrible disrepair but worth fixing yourself.

Now Harmony made some really nice electrics like the Meteor. Well worth having for sure.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-18-2019, 12:26 PM

Default aging a Harmony Patrician

Hi all,

I just found a beauty of a Harmony Patrician that bears no serial number, that i can find, and i'm just wondering if someone here can tell by the look of it and its specifics around what years it was manufactured. i can't seem to figure out how to upload a photo here but if you message me i can get the images to you. thanks!

David
Old 02-04-2019, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

Hi I have three archtops - a Gibson L-4 ('34), and Harmoney Monterey ( '64) and a 2007 Eastman AR805.

The Harmony was my first, and I bought it in 2006 in , effectively, showroom condition. The neck is perfect, and it sounds great for what it was designed as - i.e. a dance band rhythm box. It is as sited for that job as the Gibson.
#
The Eastman , understandable has a far more open warmer tonality.

Harmony as we all know made an enormous amount of instruments of every types and , like Martins and Gibsons - sometimes they scored a bulls eye, whilst many more were just somewhere on the butt.
See :
Old 02-04-2019, 04:31 PM

That Harmony has about the coolest burst (if you can call it that) I've ever seen.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:38 PM

Default Old versus New

So, based on the experiences of those who know, what modern archtops such as Eastman and Loar would you compare to the Harmonys, Kays, Vegas, Silvertones, etc. of the past?

Specifically, what Loar and Eastman models would you compare to the older ones listed?
Old 02-04-2019, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkmac View Post
So, based on the experiences of those who know, what modern archtops such as Eastman and Loar would you compare to the Harmonys, Kays, Vegas, Silvertones, etc. of the past?

Specifically, what Loar and Eastman models would you compare to the older ones listed?
Had two Loars, didn't like the build quality or excessively low neck set, moved em on.

Re: Eastmans and old Harmonys .. please look at the video I posted a few back on this thread.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:39 PM

Seems to me the Godin 5th Avenue (acoustic) would be closest to the old cheap archtops. Plywood. The Godin is really well built though.

Steven
Old 02-11-2019, 08:48 AM

My favorite electric is my 1964 Kay Speed Demon. It was a mess when I bought it a year ago (for $250), but I could tell immediately that it had potential. My local tech was able to get it playing great again.

I especially like the unique voice and attack that the all-wood floating bridge provides. The neck is very full, with a soft V profile.

1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 02-15-2019, 08:41 AM

Nice - almost wound up with the 3-PU version when I was a kid (about $100 as I recall) but held out for the sunburst Gretsch Double Annie that I still own...

Nevertheless, what goes around comes around - located a '61 Kay Galaxie (the upscale version of your guitar - flame maple body/teaburst finish, single Kelvinator PU, slim neck) for $30 with period (but not original) chipboard case, at a church flea market where my wife and I were booked to play back in December. Sounds great - surprising amount of frequency/dynamic range in that cheapo pickup (I can see why Clapton gravitated toward them in his early days) but needs some work (as they all do): a good cleanup brought it back to good cosmetic shape (had to remove six decades of tobacco-smoke residue and general crud/tarnish), PU surround is crumbling (fortunately those may be available from the new Kay operation), bridge was hacked by some drunken would-be tech in an attempt to lower the action (might need to have one made), and it's missing the pickguard (probably leave that off - the top wood is that pretty) and trussrod cover (definitely want that replaced). Good investment regardless - seen them routinely selling on the 'net for $600-700 in the same condition I bought mine and $800+ restored, so I might bring it back and flip it on a future purchase...
Old 02-15-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
.... Harmony Patrician that bears no serial number, that i can find, and i'm just wondering if someone here can tell by the look of it and its specifics around what years it was manufactured.
It might have a set of ink-stamped numbers and letters in it. Problem is, the ink fades....and I mean to "near-invisible". The serial/model numbers are about 5/8" tall, and stamped on the back and the top, sometimes close to the neck block, but often random places.

The date stamp is a real pain to see. You are usually looking for just one small, faded blue stamp, on the back, randomly placed. Often VERY faded (need maximum light, mirror, lucky viewing angle, glasses, and anything else you can add, to see it). It is a three-character stamp, about 3/8" tall, first character is either "F" or "S", second and third are numbers indicating the year.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:59 AM

hi

I have a Hofner President with an aftermarket pickup fitted to the neck, The jack is set in the pick guard!!

I picked it up for peanuts many years ago at a bootsale and although it looks lovely (To me at least!), It doesn't sound very nice!! (To me at least- Probably my rubbish playing! )

It's mostly a wall hanger for me these days but I may get it down and try some different strings as I fitted lightweight Daddario's years ago, May try some heavier guage strings in it..

John

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops