The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-24-2021, 10:31 AM

Default Singer/songwriter type licks and riffs

I posted something like this before, but I thought I would try again and see if I could get more ideas. I’m a decent strummer and fingerpicker. But I wanna improve my playing some to accompany my singing. Would love to hear of courses or individuals who would teach singer/songwriter type licks and fills. I have a TrueFire subscription. I am open to other classes or other platforms. I’d also love suggestions of players to just study and learn from. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:40 AM

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I recommend Jeffrey Pepper Rodgers. He does regular videos for the Acoustic Guitar Magazine. He covers the guitar licks and tricks of a number of well-known singer songwriters: Joan Baez, John Prine, Bob Dylan, etc. You can go to his website but also check out the Acoustic Guitar Magazine website. You might be able to get access for a small digital subscription fee. They also recently featured Cathy Fink going over some licks for song accompaniment. Worth checking out in my opinion. I have found the videos to be easy to follow and easy to apply to my own guitar playing. Also, try Homespun. Happy Traum has some great DVDs or downloads that cover guitar accompaniment for singers.

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 05-24-2021 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Added content
Old 05-24-2021, 01:34 PM

This is really helpful. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2021, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinplarson View Post
I posted something like this before, but I thought I would try again and see if I could get more ideas. I’m a decent strummer and fingerpicker. But I wanna improve my playing some to accompany my singing. Would love to hear of courses or individuals who would teach singer/songwriter type licks and fills. I have a TrueFire subscription. I am open to other classes or other platforms. I’d also love suggestions of players to just study and learn from. Thanks in advance.
Hi kevin…

Al Petteway - Sligo Creek - (I had students who learned/played/enjoyed this) - He rarely sings but writes prolifically - homespun.com?

Pat Donohue - Would You Like to Play the Guitar?
lessons in the wild?

Bob Bennett - I Saw Three Ships - amazing fingerstylist/singer - weaves his singing & playing - no lessons

Add to my list
  • David Wilcox
  • Phil Keaggy
  • Bruce Cockburn

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-24-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi kevin…

Al Petteway - Sligo Creek - (I had students who learned/played/enjoyed this) - He rarely sings but writes prolifically - homespun.com?

Pat Donohue - Would You Like to Play the Guitar?
lessons in the wild?

Bob Bennett - I Saw Three Ships - amazing fingerstylist/singer - weaves his singing & playing - no lessons

Add to my list
  • David Wilcox
  • Phil Keaggy
  • Bruce Cockburn

Hi Larry, What tuning is used in Sligo Creek?
Old 05-24-2021, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
Hi Larry, What tuning is used in Sligo Creek?
Hi g-pickr

DADGAD

Al Petteway & Amy White (his wife) have a site. A ton of his scores are available there in TAB.

Al's TABs - CLiCk

Amazon has a few of his teaching DVDs, which are excellent, but I don't think they include TAB.

HOMESPUN music also has a lot of his teaching videos converted for download…(at a price of course). He's a very good teacher (the 3 DVDs I own were well done).

Homespun-dot-com's Al Petteway page - CliCk
- These are instantly downloadable teaching videos. I wish they had better indexing, but if you need Al's stuff it's there (& about 100 other guitar player's lessons).

Hope this helps.

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 05-24-2021 at 08:56 PM. Reason: I added a link to Homespun-dot-com
Old 05-25-2021, 03:54 AM

Quote:

Johnathan Byrd is one of my favourite contemporary singer songwriters. He comes up with some great licks and riffs to support his songs. Here he is breaking down the song in the video above. His style is probably a little more attainable for those of us who simply wield a flatpick.

He is a lovely guy to reach out to. And he runs weekend workshops by Zoom for folks looking for song writing and accompaniment inspiration.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 05-25-2021 at 04:01 AM.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:09 AM

The wonders of open G.

Skip to about the 3 minute mark for the basics if you are of short attention. For the actual stuff you are asking about go to 4:18.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

Johnathan Byrd is one of my favourite contemporary singer songwriters. He comes up with some great licks and riffs to support his songs. Here he is breaking down the song in the video above. His style is probably a little more attainable for those of us who simply wield a flatpick.

He is a lovely guy to reach out to. And he runs weekend workshops by Zoom for folks looking for song writing and accompaniment inspiration.

I love that song and what he’s doing. I was just hoping he’d explain how to play those licks.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I love that song and what he’s doing. I was just hoping he’d explain how to play those licks.
There is a second video covering the licks. Go to his YouTube channel and you should find it. I'm on my phone with limited connection or I'd find it for you.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write