The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-14-2021, 07:48 AM

Default Acoustic Guitar for live?

Hello everyone!

Soon I will start playing live and therefore I would like to buy an acoustic guitar with good electronics.

Among the various models I have seen, the Yamaha A3R seems very interesting to me (currently I play a Yamaha L6 and I have always enjoyed it). Another guitar they recommended to me is the Cort Gold A6 but I'm afraid the internal mic might give feedback problems.

What can you tell me about these two guitars?
Could you recommend other ones always on the same price range?
Old 07-14-2021, 07:59 AM

If I needed a guitar specifically for playing live I'd get a Takamine.

Unless you are performing solo recitals, nobody is going to care much what the guitar sounds like amplified. Here in AGF everyone wants 'my guitar, but louder'. Out there in the real world nobody will be listening to the guitar, it'll just be part of the mix.

Takamine guitars are used by a lot of performers, all of whom can afford much more expensive kit, because they have good electronics and are well built for stage use.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:06 AM

I would get a K&K installed in the L6 and purchase a good preamp.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 07-14-2021, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
This... since you like your current guitar, no need to go out and buy a new one.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 07-14-2021, 08:22 AM

Totally agree with the 2 posts above mine. But, if thats not what you want to do, a Yamaha a3R is an Ex. choice.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:24 AM

It depends on what "live" means. If you’re playing with a band with bass and drums, you may have feedback problems with something like a K&K, and something like a garden variety UST with a Tonedexter or Baggs Voiceprint would be a better choice.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Yes, My Guitar.

Have grown tired of the crappy sound of the piezo under saddle transducer.

I want to amplify the sound of My guitar. Without getting feedback.

It is true. Most people could care less.

And with todays generation. Thinking the clicks and pops coming from a computer is music.

You are the only one who cares. so please yourself.

Good Luck
Old 07-14-2021, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

The UltraTonic is a great pickup for this - I primarily play my Santa Cruz F (maple/sitka) going straight into my amp or even right into the mixer, with a lead guitarist playing his Tele thru a Fender, electric bass going into a 2 cabinet set-up, drummer, and another vocalist - since upgrading my K&K to the UltraTonic, I've had zero issues with feedback, and my signal sounds great - I even have a Santa Cruz baritone, with an Ultrasonic that I can play with the band with no feedback and great tone. I can run it thru the Tonedexter if I want, but when you have a Tele and bass cranked up, and drummer as well, lets just say the finer nuances of my fine acoustics get lost in the mix most of the time anyway - so I play them just because I like the way they feel, play, and sound, even if its lost on everyone else. But they used to notice pretty quickly if the feedback started -
Old 07-14-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioG View Post
Hello everyone!

Soon I will start playing live and therefore I would like to buy an acoustic guitar with good electronics.

Among the various models I have seen, the Yamaha A3R seems very interesting to me (currently I play a Yamaha L6 and I have always enjoyed it). Another guitar they recommended to me is the Cort Gold A6 but I'm afraid the internal mic might give feedback problems.

What can you tell me about these two guitars?
Could you recommend other ones always on the same price range?
You might consider getting a K&K Pure Mini installed in whatever guitar you choose. I use a K&K directly into an amp or recorder without a preamp and I'm perfectly satisfied with the results.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
If I needed a guitar specifically for playing live I'd get a Takamine.

Unless you are performing solo recitals, nobody is going to care much what the guitar sounds like amplified. Here in AGF everyone wants 'my guitar, but louder'. Out there in the real world nobody will be listening to the guitar, it'll just be part of the mix.

Takamine guitars are used by a lot of performers, all of whom can afford much more expensive kit, because they have good electronics and are well built for stage use.
Pretty much this.
I love my Alvarez guitars,
But for plugging in, the Takamine P3DC is no slouch.
The preamp (CT4BII) and if you don’t like it, all the Pro series and other MIJ guitars have interchangeable preamps.

Now if you’re doing small venues with audiences under 400 or so, your current guitar with a K&K thru one of the better pedals, such as a Venue, ParaAcoustic, or the like will serve you well.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 07-14-2021, 09:04 PM

For the money, go for the A3R. It's a beast of a guitar unplugged. Plugged in, it has one of the best preamps out there with the SRT2 modeling. I've eyeballed the Cort. The A3R being a dreadnaught will have a terrific full sound. The neck is the big thing to consider though. If you like the wider neck on your LL6, you may not like the much narrower and slimmer neck on the A3R.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
The LL6 already has a pickup in it.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
Pretty much this.
I love my Alvarez guitars,
But for plugging in, the Takamine P3DC is no slouch.
The preamp (CT4BII) and if you don’t like it, all the Pro series and other MIJ guitars have interchangeable preamps.

Now if you’re doing small venues with audiences under 400 or so, your current guitar with a K&K thru one of the better pedals, such as a Venue, ParaAcoustic, or the like will serve you well.
The P3DC is like $700 more than the price range of the Cort and/or the Yamaha.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
The UltraTonic is a great pickup for this - I primarily play my Santa Cruz F (maple/sitka) going straight into my amp or even right into the mixer, with a lead guitarist playing his Tele thru a Fender, electric bass going into a 2 cabinet set-up, drummer, and another vocalist - since upgrading my K&K to the UltraTonic, I've had zero issues with feedback, and my signal sounds great - I even have a Santa Cruz baritone, with an Ultrasonic that I can play with the band with no feedback and great tone. I can run it thru the Tonedexter if I want, but when you have a Tele and bass cranked up, and drummer as well, lets just say the finer nuances of my fine acoustics get lost in the mix most of the time anyway - so I play them just because I like the way they feel, play, and sound, even if its lost on everyone else. But they used to notice pretty quickly if the feedback started -
If the OP is looking at $7-900 guitars, a $400 pickup doesn't make much sense.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
The P3DC is like $700 more than the price range of the Cort and/or the Yamaha.

Well I paid $900 for mine brand new.
The A3R I saw online was $969.
I still believe that if you already have a bond with the guitar you have…you would be happiest with it.
If the pickup is any kind of good, you can run it thru one of the many good tone shaping preamps and be good.

In the under $1000 category if you feel you must add a guitar, look at the Guild Westerly, the Takamine GJ72CE (if you are comfortable with a jumbo) and any number of Alvarez Masterworks guitars.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification